3x Yellow Tang
2x Whitetail Bristle
1x Sailfin
1x Achilles
1x Powder Blue
1x Powder Brown
1x Sohal
1x Gem

Not a tang but also a Magnificient Foxface. I'm not too fond of this one. My last M. Foxface had great personality and algae grazer. This one came in large and only eat the seawead on the clip. Nothing else. Does nothing but hang out where the clip will drop. It doesn't eat anything else.

I'm done with the fish adding. Maybe a pair of flame wrasse and maybe a pair of crosshatch trigger when Hawaii opens back up. I will have to swap something out for the pair of trigger if I decide to go with it. Likely, it's the M. Foxface and the Sohal. The Sohal is going to be hard to part though.
Good to know! I can add at least 5 more tangs

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some very nice tanks, thanks for sharing them with us. I love all the fish you have in your main system. Do you know about how many fish you have in total?

I just recently added the first batches of fish to my new 270g FOWLR build and your tank has started me thinking about how big of a bioload my setup will be able to handle. I had not really given much thought to micro algae to help with nutrients, but after seeing your success I'm going to go research it some more.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That video is very relaxing to watch. I wish I could have a tank like that.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some very nice tanks, thanks for sharing them with us. I love all the fish you have in your main system. Do you know about how many fish you have in total?

I just recently added the first batches of fish to my new 270g FOWLR build and your tank has started me thinking about how big of a bioload my setup will be able to handle. I had not really given much thought to micro algae to help with nutrients, but after seeing your success I'm going to go research it some more.
You're going to make me look pretty bad. But I'll count the fish for you. I have no plan of adding anymore fish. The first two weeks of adding fish is tough on the system. I tend to feed the new fish pretty heavily and often to get them to eat and settle in the tank. I need to get back on regular scheduled feeding and stable out the nutrients to allow the SPS to color up.

345gallons Display, 60Gallon Sump(probably only 2/3 full, and 60G anemone tank.
3x Yellow Tang
2x Whitetail Bristle
1x Sailfin
1x Achilles
1x Powder Blue
1x Powder Brown
1x Sohal
1x Gem
1x Purple Tang
8x Lyretail Anthias
5x Blue Reef Chromis
3x Royal Gramma(My favorite and the most underrated fish to be kept in a trio)
3x Rhomboids Wrasse
3x Meleagris Leopard Wrasse
3x Bipartitus(Blue Star) Leopard Wrasse
1x Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
1x Labouti Fairy Wrasse
1x Blackfin Fairy Wrasse
1x Pintail Fairy Wrasse
1x Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
1x 8 line Flasher Wrasse

Not in the display tank but in the same system.
4x Onyx clownfish
2x Kwazulu Fairy Wrasse
2x Bluespot Jawfish

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to make me look pretty bad. But I'll count the fish for you. I have no plan of adding anymore fish. The first two weeks of adding fish is tough on the system. I tend to feed the new fish pretty heavily and often to get them to eat and settle in the tank. I need to get back on regular scheduled feeding and stable out the nutrients to allow the SPS to color up.

3x Yellow Tang
2x Whitetail Bristle
1x Sailfin
1x Achilles
1x Powder Blue
1x Powder Brown
1x Sohal
1x Gem
1x Purple Tang
8x Lyretail Anthias
5x Blue Reef Chromis
3x Rhomboids Wrasse
1x Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
1x Labouti Fairy Wrasse
1x Blackfin Fairy Wrasse
1x Pintail Fairy Wrasse
1x 8 line Flasher Wrasse

4x Onyx clownfish
2x Kwazulu Fairy Wrasse
2x Bluespot Jawfish
That is an impressive list, thank you for taking the time to list them all out. I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on the trio of Royal Gramma (or any of your trios) as I'm looking for groupings of smaller fish for my system.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That video is very relaxing to watch. I wish I could have a tank like that.
There's no need to wish. You have the full potential of creating better. Just a matter of time. The fact that you still hang around the forum after the tank breakdown only means you're saving that potential and is ready to burst out.
My last reefless period after the tank breakdown from a move was 3 months. Let see how long you last. But it doesn't matter. As long as you're hanging out on a reef forum, you're still in.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no need to wish. You have the full potential of creating better. Just a matter of time. The fact that you still hang around the forum after the tank breakdown only means you're saving that potential and is ready to burst out.
My last reefless period after the tank breakdown from a move was 3 months. Let see how long you last. But it doesn't matter. As long as you're hanging out on a reef forum, you're still in.
Hehe, if it was up to me, the tank was set up already.
But you are right. The forum and reefing are addictive places to keep coming back to.
Seeing tanks like yours, keeps the interest more than alive.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the CWC and skimmer cup draining to 5G bucket, I have been a slacker.
skimmer cup.
01496816-D165-499F-B0FB-1C70C813284B.jpeg

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3x Yellow Tang
2x Whitetail Bristle
1x Sailfin
1x Achilles
1x Powder Blue
1x Powder Brown
1x Sohal
1x Gem
1x Purple Tang
8x Lyretail Anthias
5x Blue Reef Chromis
3x Rhomboids Wrasse
1x Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
1x Labouti Fairy Wrasse
1x Blackfin Fairy Wrasse
1x Pintail Fairy Wrasse
1x 8 line Flasher Wrasse

4x Onyx clownfish
2x Kwazulu Fairy Wrasse
2x Bluespot Jawfish

Always excited when I see new posts on your build thread(s). Wrasse suggestions for combatting SPS pests?

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always excited when I see new posts on your build thread(s). Wrasse suggestions for combatting SPS pests?

Bayer.
I heard good things about coris wrasses. Though I never had one.
Bayer is all I use and I have had good luck with avoiding sps pests. Just be mindful of where the frags are coming from. I tell even my closest reef friends to Bayer or dip frags coming from my tank and I always do it regardless where it’s coming from.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These gigs….
Contemplating on putting them in the display tank and have only 10 corals. If I can have a harem of percula clowns, I would. But the dang clowns don’t like each other and the most I can have is 4 even though they have literally 48”x30” of living space.
BED6BA68-98C1-465F-9641-35AD33C70CF0.jpeg

D4D84215-F08D-4275-8A6B-C137FA31CB0A.jpeg

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great tank! You are thinking of having just 10 corals and the gigs? They are beautiful but how would you cut down your corals to only 10? even with as much space as they have they won't share?

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great tank! You are thinking of having just 10 corals and the gigs? They are beautiful but how would you cut down your corals to only 10? even with as much space as they have they won't share?
Hahaha. When I fail the sps, the gigs will come up to the DT. I want to see how big they really can get.
What rock did you use in this build? I like your simple scape it looks awesome! Beautiful tank
The rocks are from my previous previous previous build. Mostly fiji. They’ve been dried up a couple time and recharged during the tank breakdown and moving. I love fiji rocks because they’re uniquely shape and look natural. These rocks are resilient and will last forever.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t target feed anything in the tank and try to avoid corals that need direct feeding to survive. I do have a sun coral that seem to be doing fine without direct feeding. But it’s too early to say.
feeding anemones is not beneficial and sometimes can cause them to be ill or death.
I think if you have enough fish and feed them regularly, it’s good enough.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back