OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing tank, I love all the fish. I wish I knew how you handle tang aggression. I would love to add more to my tank. I'm just worried my Achilles would kill them. I agree with you on the UV, I have the same one and I love it.
Adding new fish is tough especially tangs and especially Acanthurus. With the Achilles being the dominant and you want to add another acanthurus, you don’t have much choice except to trap and take out the Achilles and hold it in another tank while the new one settle in. But don’t wait too long, the new acanthurus might not accept the Achilles. You can try getting a bigger acanthurus than your Achilles now and use an acclimation box. But don’t leave the new fish in the acclimation box too long. The tang needs to swim and they get stressed out quickly in a small box.
I prep the tank by getting the UV up and running first thing because I know my only change to get all the tangs in the tank is to add them all at once. This is also a reason why I don’t QT. I can’t possible QT 10 tangs all at once and if I do 2-3 each time, it would take forever. I don’t have that kind of patience and the amount of space needed to hold all these fish separately.
My tangs were added all at once except for the Gem tang and the white tail bristle tooth.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding new fish is tough especially tangs and especially Acanthurus. With the Achilles being the dominant and you want to add another acanthurus, you don’t have much choice except to trap and take out the Achilles and hold it in another tank while the new one settle in. But don’t wait too long, the new acanthurus might not accept the Achilles. You can try getting a bigger acanthurus than your Achilles now and use an acclimation box. But don’t leave the new fish in the acclimation box too long. The tang needs to swim and they get stressed out quickly in a small box.
I prep the tank by getting the UV up and running first thing because I know my only change to get all the tangs in the tank is to add them all at once. This is also a reason why I don’t QT. I can’t possible QT 10 tangs all at once and if I do 2-3 each time, it would take forever. I don’t have that kind of patience and the amount of space needed to hold all these fish separately.
My tangs were added all at once except for the Gem tang and the white tail bristle tooth.
I don't know if i will add any more acantherus tangs to the tank. I have ordered a purple tang and a sail fin tang. I also have a large acclimation box for them. The Achillies was in there for a while before I added the naso, which he didn't like very much, but they have come to accept each ohter. I have also noticed feeding heavy really cuts down on the aggression.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta keep the fish well fed for sure to make it work.
Morning snack. I don’t think the wrasse actually eat the macro itself but it knows the macros contain a lot of pods and pod eggs and possible many other critters that it can eat.
7CE70D5E-3395-41FC-A0AC-EC5CBA5A2187.jpeg

Pretty much an endless supply of Tang’s food. I’m very fortunate to find the balance between keeping the nutrients down and a natural free way to feed the tangs. This really cuts down on my Nori and GFO expense.
F9D12800-B2E2-47A0-81A8-9889EDA2F394.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So cool! Great job!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! Awesome!!

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #135 has a picture of the UV plumbing. I do run it 24/7 and change the bulb on a yearly basis. New bulb is due to arrive next week. The UV is fed by an Ehiem pump and its output to the return chamber into the display tank. The flow through the UV is adjusted by a ball valve. I only eye ball the flow. Don't know the GPH through it but it's pretty decent amount of flow through it. Read the manual on the UV. Read your max pump output GPH and use best estimate to match what the manufacturer of the UV suggested for the type of UV filter you want to run. I run in pathogen mode. The same pump is teed off and feed the anemone tank which drains to the refugium and into the return. I don't know if this is optimum since there's a path for the pathogens to escape the UV. However, I want raw water to feed the refugium and I only have clownfish in the anemone tank.
I'm not going to lie and claim that my fish are spotless. In fact, I do see a couple of white spots on the Powder Blue and Achilles once in awhile depending on the ich cycle. But the fish are all swimming and eating and I haven't killed a single tang since starting up this tank. This is a great achievement I think.
This is by far the best method to me to keep all the fish I want. I very content with how the tank is running. Sure, my fish are not always spotless but I'm not scooping them out either. I honestly don't have the space and the mental capacity to deal with proper QT for the amount of fish I keep. I also try to keep the set up simple so that when I have to leave it, it can run on its own for awhile. Display Tank, lights, big sump, big skimmer, a refugium to help out the skimmer and provide more fauna, a UV to manage diseases and prevent a breakout, a continuous auto waterchanger and carx to replenish the elements the corals need. Having not to change out the GFO and carbon has been very helpful this past couple months.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recommend doing that. Unless you can guarantee your return rate is exactly what you want to run the UV with.
900GPH is too much for that size UV. And I highly doubt you want to mess with your return rate to match with your UV. I strongly reccomend using a dedicated pump inline with a valve and tune it to what you want to run the UV at.
Also keep in mind that in an event of a pump failure, the UV chamber cannot be drained dry and cause the bulb to overheat and blow. There must always be water in that chamber if the bulb is on.
Having a dedicated pump feed after the skimmer output into the UV and place the UV output at the return chamber is the way I would always run it.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outta curiosity how many tangs do you have in your tank?
I will count with you lol.
3x Yellow Tang
2x Whitetail Bristle
1x Sailfin
1x Achilles
1x Powder Blue
1x Powder Brown
1x Sohal
1x Gem

Not a tang but also a Magnificient Foxface. I'm not too fond of this one. My last M. Foxface had great personality and algae grazer. This one came in large and only eat the seawead on the clip. Nothing else. Does nothing but hang out where the clip will drop. It doesn't eat anything else.

I'm done with the fish adding. Maybe a pair of flame wrasse and maybe a pair of crosshatch trigger when Hawaii opens back up. I will have to swap something out for the pair of trigger if I decide to go with it. Likely, it's the M. Foxface and the Sohal. The Sohal is going to be hard to part though.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D:D:D:D:D:D
Right. Add a purple tang in there as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back