OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gig is in and settled. Clowns took it instantly. Wild clown+Gigantea=Love at first sight. It’s just so right.

5D47DA04-577B-43A7-A4B5-23931DFF37C9.jpeg

571FFA16-8422-4BE9-87E1-3807D01412FD.jpeg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you ended up putting a powerhead on the far side. What did you choose and how come?

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gabe,
For 3 weeks, the flow was quite a headache for me. Trying to avoid a pump on the other end of the peninsula, the two 6255s on one side was either too much flow in some area and not the others. Sand devils under the pumps, craters in the sand. LPS flesh pealing because it's being dragged by the strong undertow while SPS polyps at the top of the tank are at a stand still. Cloudy film on top of water surface if I turn down the pumps to avoid the above. I was ready to pull the trigger on 4 MP60s, two on each side. But thought why am I doing that when I can try to place one of the Tunze on the other side if I'm going to put a pump on the other side anyways.
I did that and the flow is much much better.
In the end, it's about the critters' health and response that matter. Not what you fantasize of how your tank would look.
Any tank that is more than 6' long would have a real problem with flow without a pump on the other end. I was able to get away with the previous tank because it 72" long and 48" wide. The 48" gives it more room for the flow to return to the overflow. With this tank, the longer length and narrower width make it impossible.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Love the way the tank looks, what's your maintenance schedule like and what kind of sand are you using, it looks very clean.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gabe,
For 3 weeks, the flow was quite a headache for me. Trying to avoid a pump on the other end of the peninsula, the two 6255s on one side was either too much flow in some area and not the others. Sand devils under the pumps, craters in the sand. LPS flesh pealing because it's being dragged by the strong undertow while SPS polyps at the top of the tank are at a stand still. Cloudy film on top of water surface if I turn down the pumps to avoid the above. I was ready to pull the trigger on 4 MP60s, two on each side. But thought why am I doing that when I can try to place one of the Tunze on the other side if I'm going to put a pump on the other side anyways.
I did that and the flow is much much better.
In the end, it's about the critters' health and response that matter. Not what you fantasize of how your tank would look.
Any tank that is more than 6' long would have a real problem with flow without a pump on the other end. I was able to get away with the previous tank because it 72" long and 48" wide. The 48" gives it more room for the flow to return to the overflow. With this tank, the longer length and narrower width make it impossible.
I can see how your tank would be super challenging. Could you make it harder on yourself? Sand, mixed reef, long tank. If you went bare bottom and acro dominant it would be easier. That 6255 looked deceptively small on that photo :). Anyways, tank looks great! Well on your way to another showstopper!

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the way the tank looks, what's your maintenance schedule like and what kind of sand are you using, it looks very clean.

I usually do 10% waterchange(30-40gal) a week. Change out GFO and Carbon once a month. Clean out the skimmer cup while waiting for water to drain and fill. That’s my routine after a tank has been settled. With a newly set up tank, waterchange has been erratic. And GFO changing when it gets exhausted. I’m trying out continuous water change of 1% a day. So far, it has been nice.
I’ve been testing almost every day to monitor the parameters and track for stability.

I use caribsea oolite on the bottom and special sea floor on the top. The oolite were the “live” wet bags and the special sea floor is a mix of live and dry.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 6.5days, the waste water bucket of the CWC is about 20gals. That is pretty close to the 21gals a week as planned. I will continue to run it.
3091DF81-3373-46B1-890A-4CEA54903C23.jpeg

I’m now using this waste water to cure some rocks to add to the system. More rocks is better as long as it’s not in the display.
F0BCEE37-1BB4-4432-8824-4A469F1D4771.jpeg

Salinity is monitor by conductivity. It has been stable. Hard to imagine why it wouldn’t on a dual channel Masterflex TBH.
3D822E85-EA9A-42B6-87D8-DA69C58550FA.png

I’ve been testing PO4 pretty much every day since I want this fuge to live. PO4 has dropped from 0.07ppm to 0.04ppm since last week. I will now take the GFO offline. One less thing to change. My goal is to have a healthy fuge and not have to rely on GFO.
F285DBCD-F5E7-4025-9BA3-52BC3B3A032A.jpeg

I’ve also been harvesting a bit of the macros in the fuge everyday for the tangs. The tang love the Red Gracilaria but need to work in the green sea lettuce. Nobody seems to like that stuff.
3AD61B92-42F5-43B2-B35C-AFC1404D80F9.jpeg

AC83C7F7-4FC2-48A6-B082-2AA9F15B58A7.jpeg

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank man, it will be spectacular when everything grows out! Now you just need to get some large angels to round out your stock list ;)

I like your choice of tools as well, festool really is the bomb and that Kpex is one sweet piece of kit.

MtlReef25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Eric,
I wanted to go back to more LPS diversity on the bottom and SPS at the top. I also want to get back on keeping clams. With the angels, the only LPS I was able to keep with the angels was Euphyllias.
From my past experience, I’m NOT going to allow any type of angelfish in the tank. I’m working on filling up the sandbed with brains, acans, acanthophyllias, and other LPS that I couldn’t have in the previous tank with angels. The angelfish are beautiful. But I’m not forgetting why I started the hobby in the first place and that is a diversity of corals(except for softies).
B6DFD964-BC8E-404E-B1D8-F60B4F895458.jpeg
Hi Nick,
I totally agree with you on that point. Diversity. I understand and I miss that possibility actually to put any LPS into my tank (I tried one a few months ago and it lasted about 3 hours...). Angels are very nice but they do grow quick and huge. If I ever get rid of the Emperor I will certainly re-think the reef. For now I'm happy with what I have in term of SPS growth and fish diversity but I see this as an ongoing project and not a finality. I'm glad to see you are back it's always nice talking to you man! Nice picture again! I must start taking some but I'm so overwhelmed by work right now it's crazy!

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking awesome. I was having that dilemma with wave makers on the peninsula end of my tank as well, but decided to get gyres and mount them to the euro brace. Closest thing I could think of to having nothing on that end.

love your sohal tang.Any aggression from it yet? It’s definitely on my “bucket” list of fish. But up in the air as my tanks only 84 inches

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems healthy and relax... hungry though
Oh man, that’s rotten luck it coming down with white spot and all that ;)
In all seriousness awesome fish, looks very healthy.

The Gem came in skinny but accepted food right after I fed it. Will need to nourish it.
I actually ordered a pair. But the other came in pretty much DOA. Disappointed but crap happens.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back