Nick's Innovative Marine 200EXT Peninsula Build

nkkm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Im currently in the process of preparing for the delivery of my Innovative Marine 200 EXT Peninsula. This will be my 3rd tank since starting back in 2010, going from a 50 cube to a 150 I have had setup for years. It's truly been a hobby of ups and downs. Every time I think I am going to give up it pulls you right back in.

I always had a plan to upgrade to a peninsula when we bought a place and we finally moved last year. Of course I didn't think through where a tank would go and ended up in the unfortunate situation that it would have to go on a second floor with a finished room underneath. The big problem was what to do about the weight. After giving up on the idea for a few months and running my old tank in the garage I started to look into options for supporting the tank without causing aesthetic issues in the downstairs room. The biggest issue is the joists run parallel with the only spot the tank could go and the span of the room is 18ft. Ultimately I decided to pull the drywall from the ceiling and with help from my good friend @Dipan Desai we began the task of enforcing and sistering the joists.

68991355502__259CE5A1-D79C-4167-AB16-9BF608E55E1A.jpeg
IMG_8755.jpeg
IMG_8805.jpeg

We ended up adding six more 12x2 joists and sister two to each of the existing three joists that will support the tank. So effectively having three 12x6.

Next on the list was to order the tank. When Innovative Marine finally dropped the price after the massive increase during covid, I jumped on it. Eventually went with the 200 EXT Peninsula with stand and their new sump. I was able to go to see it all at the offices before ordering. The only issue being the 12-16 week wait. I ordered on November 6th, 2022 so going on 14 weeks. So maybe only a couple of weeks left but the wait times on their website seems to be going up so hopefully it isn't delayed.

IMG_8158.jpeg
IMG_8294.jpeg

The tank will go in our living room but I will be plumbing through the wall and having the sump and frag tank in the garage. The goal for this build was to try to do everything to make maintenance easy and leave as little mess around the tank to keep the wife happy :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

69484152400__8BB669E9-14DC-47C4-8C3A-3C4F3E42497A.jpeg

The next project was to create an area for all that in the garage. I decided to basically build a large stand which would have an area for the sump, ATO and equipment underneath and space on top for a 48" lowboy frag tank as well as an area for all the testing equipment etc.

IMG_9154.jpeg
IMG_9210.jpeg
IMG_9237.jpeg

Whilst I was at it I built another stand for a water mixing station. Even though the last couple of years I have moved away from water changes, I still think its necessary to do them every now and then and the last thing I want to do is be carrying 5G buckets around. I also wanted to automate the ability to fill up my ATO reservoir.

IMG_9241.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Im currently in the process of preparing for the delivery of my Innovative Marine 200 EXT Peninsula. This will be my 3rd tank since starting back in 2010, going from a 50 cube to a 150 I have had setup for years. It's truly been a hobby of ups and downs. Every time I think I am going to give up it pulls you right back in.

I always had a plan to upgrade to a peninsula when we bought a place and we finally moved last year. Of course I didn't think through where a tank would go and ended up in the unfortunate situation that it would have to go on a second floor with a finished room underneath. The big problem was what to do about the weight. After giving up on the idea for a few months and running my old tank in the garage I started to look into options for supporting the tank without causing aesthetic issues in the downstairs room. The biggest issue is the joists run parallel with the only spot the tank could go and the span of the room is 18ft. Ultimately I decided to pull the drywall from the ceiling and with help from my good friend @Dipan Desai we began the task of enforcing and sistering the joists.

68991355502__259CE5A1-D79C-4167-AB16-9BF608E55E1A.jpeg
IMG_8755.jpeg
IMG_8805.jpeg

We ended up adding six more 12x2 joists and sister two to each of the existing three joists that will support the tank. So effectively having three 12x6.

Next on the list was to order the tank. When Innovative Marine finally dropped the price after the massive increase during covid, I jumped on it. Eventually went with the 200 EXT Peninsula with stand and their new sump. I was able to go to see it all at the offices before ordering. The only issue being the 12-16 week wait. I ordered on November 6th, 2022 so going on 14 weeks. So maybe only a couple of weeks left but the wait times on their website seems to be going up so hopefully it isn't delayed.

IMG_8158.jpeg
IMG_8294.jpeg

The tank will go in our living room but I will be plumbing through the wall and having the sump and frag tank in the garage. The goal for this build was to try to do everything to make maintenance easy and leave as little mess around the tank to keep the wife happy :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

69484152400__8BB669E9-14DC-47C4-8C3A-3C4F3E42497A.jpeg

The next project was to create an area for all that in the garage. I decided to basically build a large stand which would have an area for the sump, ATO and equipment underneath and space on top for a 48" lowboy frag tank as well as an area for all the testing equipment etc.

IMG_9154.jpeg
IMG_9210.jpeg
IMG_9237.jpeg

Whilst I was at it I built another stand for a water mixing station. Even though the last couple of years I have moved away from water changes, I still think its necessary to do them every now and then and the last thing I want to do is be carrying 5G buckets around. I also wanted to automate the ability to fill up my ATO reservoir.

IMG_9241.jpeg

nice man! I am a bit jelly you can just go in to the office and look at all the sizes of tanks. something about seeing them in person would be amazing. how do those sump look? not a ton or really any info on them.

anyway i ordered the 200 pen. ext late nov. as well. :) it will be replacing a RS 650P.

i'll be fallowing along! nice job on the garage sump and mixing station stands.

OP
OP
N

nkkm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice man! I am a bit jelly you can just go in to the office and look at all the sizes of tanks. something about seeing them in person would be amazing. how do those sump look? not a ton or really any info on them.

anyway i ordered the 200 pen. ext late nov. as well. :) it will be replacing a RS 650P.

i'll be fallowing along! nice job on the garage sump and mixing station stands.

Thank you!

Yes, was nice to be able to see them all in person and actually charged my mind on the white vs black stand after that. Still think I will end up adding a skin to the stand later on as I wont be using the underneath of the stand.

The sump looked pretty good, seemed to be solid, I've not seen any either. I think I was the first to see this one when it came in. They have added some nice features but no way currently to use a fleece roller (not sure if I would have anyway). I kind of wish the fuge section was bigger and a smaller return section. I will likely be running two return pumps on the system, so may be happy about that later.

IMG_8295.jpeg
IMG_8296.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Yes, was nice to be able to see them all in person and actually charged my mind on the white vs black stand after that. Still think I will end up adding a skin to the stand later on as I wont be using the underneath of the stand.

The sump looked pretty good, seemed to be solid, I've not seen any either. I think I was the first to see this one when it came in. They have added some nice features but no way currently to use a fleece roller (not sure if I would have anyway). I kind of wish the fuge section was bigger and a smaller return section. I will likely be running two return pumps on the system, so may be happy about that later.

IMG_8295.jpeg
IMG_8296.jpeg
Nice to see some pics out in the wild.
Too bad they can’t make the baffles adjust able that way each owner could configure it to their needs.
I am planing on the reef Matt 1200 will will see if it’s really that much of a pain I’ll stick to floss.

keep the pics coming :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics and a video of the aqua scape. This will be an SPS heavy mixed reef. Its hard to get good pictures of it but I think the video shows better how it truly looks in person.

IMG_9335.jpeg
IMG_9339.jpeg

IMG_9337.jpeg
IMG_9336.jpeg

nice scape. looks like a few choices pices of rock in there!

OP
OP
N

nkkm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was frag tank day. I decided to go with the Zoo Med 48x24 50 gallon frag tank.

I’ve been debating what to do for an overflow but in the end I didn’t want to lose any space in the tank so went for an external overflow. For that I went with an Eshopps Eclipse large as it was only a couple of dollars more than the small and medium.

I’ve heard a lot about the glass being thin but my buddy had drilled one of these tanks before so had him help out.

The eclipse overflow requires two 1.5” bulkheads for the overflow. And decided on dual 1/2 returns.

Took it slow and steady and pretty happy with the results. Minimal chips and no cracks! So I would call that a success :)

DF87AE8F-571C-44CD-A7CD-EF28BB8100F5.jpeg

14AA7314-458A-4627-887B-5FF461639956.jpeg

1F9F982C-43EC-4ADA-A62B-E01ED65DF8A6.jpeg

The frag tank will sit on top of the bench I build for the sump and equipment in the garage.

I’ll be teeing off one of the returns to the display with 3/4” pipe, split to two 1/2” returns. The Eclipse has three 1” drains similar to my display. Not sure yet how I’ll configure it with the plumbing to my sump that will be shared by both the display and frag tank.

E54E9112-FCAE-446E-AD03-1281723C3429.jpeg
A7B70237-4A0C-44B5-847F-D09F5222E958.jpeg

8F86B4BD-B799-4099-9EE3-7A35702A5EB2.jpeg

OP
OP
N

nkkm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to plan how to plumb the frag tank into the main display/sump plumbing. Both are bean animal with 3 x 1" drains. Has anyone had experiences doing this before? Would prefer all 6 drains converge into 3 at the sump but want to make sure that wont cause any issues with the siphon.

Created a separate post on it here:

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my current thoughts on plumbing. Would appreciate any thoughts or feedback. All returns are 3/4" and all drains are 1". Hopefully the sketch makes sense.

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 11.10.19 PM.png
Looks great! I just got on the waitlist for this tank. Can’t wait for it to get here. My only suggestion for the drawing is to have the uv sterilizer loop from the sump and back to the sump on a lower flow for maximum water exposure. The main display pump will be high flow and a Tee fitting to both nozzles.

DarfrogDojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my current thoughts on plumbing. Would appreciate any thoughts or feedback. All returns are 3/4" and all drains are 1". Hopefully the sketch makes sense.

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 11.10.19 PM.png
I would run the UV off one of the manifolds so you coul control the flow rate. Also - how will you manage the drains coming together? Theoretically, shouldn't there be a bottleneck if you have two drains come together in a T?

OP
OP
N

nkkm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run the UV off one of the manifolds so you coul control the flow rate. Also - how will you manage the drains coming together? Theoretically, shouldn't there be a bottleneck if you have two drains come together in a T?

Thanks. Thats what I am not sure of if having the two gate valves would enable me to control them correctly.

OP
OP
N

nkkm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I just got on the waitlist for this tank. Can’t wait for it to get here. My only suggestion for the drawing is to have the uv sterilizer loop from the sump and back to the sump on a lower flow for maximum water exposure. The main display pump will be high flow and a Tee fitting to both nozzles.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely considering that.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back