Nicrew Hyper Reef Led

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag/grow out tank is on a 10 gallon. I had a black box over my 20 long and hated that it had to be soo high up over the tank. It look horrible in my opinion. I just cant justify spending $500 on lights for a 20 long with zoas, LPS, and a couple of simple SPS.
The go with the 30W Nicrew. Great light! 30W HyperReef

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one 100w for my 40B and everything seems fine. Infact everything was actually unhappy at first until I turned the light down a bit. I am having difficulty with this light though because I am constantly changing the intensity throughout the day. On my old tank I had a black box and I had much more control over intensity and my whites didnt look as ugly as these whites look. I'm just not sure this light is right for me. I might return it for either a black box or I may go all out and pay the $500 for AI Sols. I wish I had a little more time with them before I had to make a decision. It's unfortunate.

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one 100w for my 40B and everything seems fine. Infact everything was actually unhappy at first until I turned the light down a bit. I am having difficulty with this light though because I am constantly changing the intensity throughout the day. On my old tank I had a black box and I had much more control over intensity and my whites didnt look as ugly as these whites look. I'm just not sure this light is right for me. I might return it for either a black box or I may go all out and pay the $500 for AI Sols. I wish I had a little more time with them before I had to make a decision. It's unfortunate.
So apparently they are coming out with a controller for the lights in April, I do agree the white lights look pretty ugly. For my tank though they are fine currently but I have not got my hands on a par meter yet and finding the par on the lights is non existent except what they put in the amazon listing, the prices on these lights are going up almost every other week it seems like so they must be a good seller.

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you constantly changing the intensity?

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you constantly changing the intensity?
Just havent found a setting I'm happy with at all times. The blue doesnt seem dark enough. The ugly white throws me off as does the light blue. So at certain times of day I want a little different intensity. It's just not seeming to work for me currently. I've got about a week to figure it out.
My coral are happy enough I will say. This is my own discontent.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its gone up in price because the original light (which i have) doesnt have the 0-10v control

in my case it was 100$ a decent light which lacks controllability

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just havent found a setting I'm happy with at all times. The blue doesnt seem dark enough. The ugly white throws me off as does the light blue. So at certain times of day I want a little different intensity. It's just not seeming to work for me currently. I've got about a week to figure it out.
My coral are happy enough I will say. This is my own discontent.
I would agree if I was stuck using the onboard control for the lights. It would be extremely difficult to find a setting that I was happy with. Using the Kessil Spectral Controller X has made ALL the difference for me. Hopefully the Nicrew controller gives similar results.

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update (I love these lights, amazing!) they are out of the 100 and 150w at amazon, and the 30W just went up another $10. That makes it 30% increase in price since November when they came out. Even Aliexpress has them direct for more than they are listed on Amazon. Add in the controller coming soon... wow these lights could be even more amazing.

(Granted I'm biased, I love em ;)

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update (I love these lights, amazing!) they are out of the 100 and 150w at amazon, and the 30W just went up another $10. That makes it 30% increase in price since November when they came out. Even Aliexpress has them direct for more than they are listed on Amazon. Add in the controller coming soon... wow these lights could be even more amazing.

(Granted I'm biased, I love em ;)
I like it, and I really want a controller for it but if they keep going up in price then I might as well buy a more reputable option. My first 50w nicrew came in broken so they aren't exactly top notch.

janlet5035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone tell me if these lights have the 0-10v jacks on the back as their video claims. can't find other info but it claims to be controllable through 0-10v which can be done easily with something like reef Pi
yes they do im running two of 150 watts and they work great, i running them with apex jr and its really nice with the ramp option...

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your par numbers higher in lower regions? The ones with no par are due to the rocks?
Ty
I would assume that it is due to the way the light is spread. Lower in tank, the light from 2 or 3 pucks is all covering the same spot, increasing the par in that area. At the top of the tank, it is super intense directly below a puck, but the PAR drops quicly when you move away from the center.

Yes, the blank spots are due to the rocks in the tank.

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that some of these are back in stock on amazon. Don't know numbers, but they seem to be selling like crazy.
30W HyperReef
50W HyperReef
100W HyperReef

Interesting to note, the 30W has gone up in price to 79.99, from 69.99. As of this post (3.23.21) it is still cheaper to order from amazon than get them through Aliexpress, due to shipping. (And much quicker of course).

I have the 50W over a Waterbox 10 and love, love, love this light. Can't wait for the controller in a month or so.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people said they're using the Kessil Spectral Controller X. Why not Post some images of your setup? If you would please.
Sure. It is a bit difficult to show real well, but here you go.

First the Controller.
20210326_110706.jpg
20210326_110733.jpg

I am using an inexpensive Amazon Basics cable to go from the controller to the first light.
20210326_110719.jpg

I then used the cable that came with the controller to connect the first light to the second.
20210326_110819.jpg
20210326_110757.jpg

And that is all it takes. Super simple and works great!

HexaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. It is a bit difficult to show real well, but here you go.

First the Controller.
20210326_110706.jpg
20210326_110733.jpg

I am using an inexpensive Amazon Basics cable to go from the controller to the first light.
20210326_110719.jpg

I then used the cable that came with the controller to connect the first light to the second.
20210326_110819.jpg
20210326_110757.jpg

And that is all it takes. Super simple and works great!
Awesome! Thanks. I ordered 3 lights and this controller. Will it matter if I use 4 pole 3.5 wire instead of the 3 pole it comes with? Just curious cause I ordered 4 pole cables

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks. I ordered 3 lights and this controller. Will it matter if I use 4 pole 3.5 wire instead of the 3 pole it comes with? Just curious cause I ordered 4 pole cables
I really don't have an answer for you. You will have to try your 4 pole cable and let us know.

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got them set up. Look pretty good. I got 3 but I think 2 will do.
20210329_174916.jpg

20210329_174455.jpg

20210329_174524.jpg
Nice.

What lights were you running before?

I have 2 x 100w on my 90 as well.

40% whites and 60% blues almost bleached my monti's.

I now have it 20% white and 60% blue. Still no controller. Will get one soon.

Mark917

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually has both. The USB is used to control the Kessil's, but it also has a 3.5mm for 0-10V control of other lights. I just plugged a 3.5mm cable into the jack on the Spectral Controller X and ran it to the Light. Then ran another between the lights. Each light has a 0-10V in and 0-10V out.
I just picked up the Kessil Spectral X Controller for my 2 100 Watters. How is the controller powered in a non-apex situation? I ran 3.5mm out of the controller to the light then bridged the lights with a seperate 3.5 cable. Nothing...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back