Niger or Bluejaw Triggerfish in Reef Tank?

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 1" niger in a reef for 3 years, got along with everything except hermits. But i hated my hermits anyways.
i would occasionally throw and hide hermits and emerald crabs just for him to hunt on his own. Their carapace is good on wearing down their teeth.
Nigers are like beavers, teeth wise.
Why do you hate hermits? They are just there, I see them doing much to have someone hate them.

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you hate hermits? They are just there, I see them doing much to have someone hate them.
They have a nasty habit of not being aware, or not caring, what their shell is trampling over. Like plates on substrate, or when theyre scaling rocks and their shell violently rub up against stony corals that end up getting stressed. Also they have not over corals on plugs that ive not yet committed to epoxy down yet, resulting in a corals either landing facedown in the sand, or landing on another.
Ive also seen some attack snails that accidentally got flipped, and start tearing at them before they have a chance to right themselves. I know many others will say they have NEVER had theirs do it.
Mind you i still keep a few in each tank. Just dont care if nature gives them their comeuppance.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Niger in my reef for a while. He seemed to be a reasonable inhabitant without creating any issues either with coral, or fish or critters. He however would occasionally take a chunk out of me when doing tank maintenance. Finally, he bit me one too many times and was relocated to the lfs

I've had my Niger for about six or seven years. He is fairly aggressive to other fish, but fine with corals and crabs. I wouldn't trust him with shrimp.

Like you said, mine is a hand biter too. He has some serious teeth too. He stalks my hand when I do anything in the tank. It gets pretty stressful, but he's not going anywhere. He makes gluing down frags a nightmare. He's really entertaining though!

Here's Al Roker:

38e249fadf31cf220f995608782868b5.jpg

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a nasty habit of not being aware, or not caring, what their shell is trampling over. Like plates on substrate, or when theyre scaling rocks and their shell violently rub up against stony corals that end up getting stressed.
Ive also seen some attack snails that accidentally got flipped, and start tearing at them before they have a chance to right themselves. I know many others will say they have NEVER had theirs do it.
Mind you i still keep a few in each tank. Just dont care if nature gives them their comeuppance.
Hermits crabs probably have tiny brains and only act on instinct.lol
I will only get small hermits, that stay small, cause they do less damage I would suppose.

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bear in mind, that crustaceans, mollusks, and small fish are entrained in to the mind and physiology of all triggerfish to be food.
Although, individual personalities may apply.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Niger for about six or seven years. He is fairly aggressive to other fish, but fine with corals and crabs. I wouldn't trust him with shrimp.

Like you said, mine is a hand biter too. He has some serious teeth too. He stalks my hand when I do anything in the tank. It gets pretty stressful, but he's not going anywhere. He makes gluing down frags a nightmare. He's really entertaining though!

Here's Al Roker:

38e249fadf31cf220f995608782868b5.jpg

Saw this pic and thought of you. Lol
triggerfish-territory1.png

Marta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Niger in our FOWLR 120 with an Emperor Angel, a Klein's Butterfly, a Dusky Wrasse, a Blue Hippo and a Scooter Blenny. The only thing he goes after is me! Bites me every time I'm not paying attention! Had some mushroom corals in with him for a bit and he didn't seem to bother them. He doesn't seem to bother any of his tank mates, either. He is about 2" maybe a little less. Beautiful fish...

Jory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three triggers one ****** one Picasso and one ondulated the ****** is about 8 to 10 inches he never bother anything and the Picasso either. The only one I'm worrying is the ondulated he is like 2.5 inches so he might be the worst

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 163

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back