Niger or Bluejaw Triggerfish in Reef Tank?

Chris Radici

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody added a Niger or Bluejaw Triggerfish to their reef tank? Do they bother corals or other fish? Aggressive? Do they move your rock work around?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the two definitely go blue jaw. Less propensity to go crazy overnight and more invert safe. Though no trigger is invert safe

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two safest, generally, aren't the kind you are looking for. Blue throat and red tail triggers, but these are more timid they say. All fish their own personalities, you may end up with a lucky one.

FourZeroEight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a blueline trigger that didnt want any part of one of my hermit crabs. You could tell my trigger would avoid it all the time. Maybe cause the hermit was bigger than the trigger idk. Though he did munch on the hermit crabs he was bigger than

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish store has kept a trigger in the reef tank but they fed him 3 times a day and it was a humu trig

Auhiwayman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Bluethroat Trigger for 6 months. He hasn't touch any hermit crabs or snails or moved any coral around. I have a blue Tang, yellow Tang and fox face and they all get along fine in my mixed reef 135 gallon tank. However, I'm not going to push it so I have no plans to keep shrimp or clams. He mostly eats the new era mini marine grazers I keep them all fed with.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen both work in reef tanks, leaving inverts, corals, and fish alone.
+1... I have two blues and both leave my inverts alone but, I also tend to feed on the heavy side as a precaution not to mention I like seeing fat and happy fish:p.
Blue1of2.jpg

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue throat. Only been with me for a month. So far been great. Powder blue always reminds him who is boss.
So far hasnt messed with hermits or snails. Also have a cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, 4 peppermints, and 2 sexy shrimp. Shrimp are all alive and well.

kcasson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two Bluejaw (male/female) and a Humuhumu for the past two years. I feed three times a day and they're pigs, but they generally leave my reef and my inverts alone...

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had a female bluethroat for almost 6 months. She is absolutely a character and eats like a pig. They are shy at first, but worth the wait. I actually just added today a male bluethroat to the tank hopefully they will become a pair. Best of luck.

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bluethroat pair atleast a year ago and they've been model citizens in my tank. They dont touch any of my CUC or shrimp. I dont even feed that heavy either

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had a female bluethroat for almost 6 months. She is absolutely a character and eats like a pig. They are shy at first, but worth the wait. I actually just added today a male bluethroat to the tank hopefully they will become a pair. Best of luck.
Did you just add that avatar?
Maybe I have you confused with another member.

BluePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody added a Niger or Bluejaw Triggerfish to their reef tank? Do they bother corals or other fish? Aggressive? Do they move your rock work around?
Had a pair of blue throat triggers in my 180g reef and never had issues at all.. Great fish!!

BluePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 559
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 403
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 422

AussieGaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a Niger trigger in my "semi aggressive" tank and he is fine, he does not touch coral, how ever there are no inverts in there to test out as the harlequin ate what was left of the hermits. He doesnt really bother any fish in my tank, but in saying that they are all on the "semi aggressive" list. Did bite me once though lol

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Niger in my reef for a while. He seemed to be a reasonable inhabitant without creating any issues either with coral, or fish or critters. He however would occasionally take a chunk out of me when doing tank maintenance. Finally, he bit me one too many times and was relocated to the lfs

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Niger in my reef for a while. He seemed to be a reasonable inhabitant without creating any issues either with coral, or fish or critters. He however would occasionally take a chunk out of me when doing tank maintenance. Finally, he bit me one too many times and was relocated to the lfs
Lol, like mean dog, you dropped him off at the spca.

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 1" niger in a reef for 3 years, got along with everything except hermits. But i hated my hermits anyways.
i would occasionally throw and hide hermits and emerald crabs just for him to hunt on his own. Their carapace is good on wearing down their teeth.
Nigers are like beavers, teeth wise.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back