Night Diving in Indonesia for CRAZY CORALS! (Feat. Coralfish12g)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wanted to share this video that George from coralfish12G did in Indonesia. When we got word that Indonesia was opening up we immediately thought, "Wow we gotta get out there and try to find some really nice corals and bring them back to the states to farm". So I hopped on a plane for 30 something hours and flew to Bali. This was not the first time we have been, but I was more excited then ever because it had been so long since we had seen Indo corals. Did a total of 20 dives and found tons of new and exciting corals. As many of you know Top Shelf is known for rare and different types of corals especially SPS. We have just finished our 20,000 gallon farm and we were wanting to acquire rare looking pieces to aquaculture. I had been night diving many times before but this time George wanted to join. Here's a really cool video for you guys to check out. I'm just so excited to be able to get the opportunity show you this and what Indo Mariculture really has to offer. Hope you enjoy!

-Steven

Last edited:

MW319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video. When can we expect to see these items in the store?

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great video. When can we expect to see these items in the store?

Most of the pieces that were hand picked are going to our farm. They will have to go through our quarantine procedures and then we will begin to release frags. It can be a slow process, but it ensure the quality and health of the pieces we sell to the public.

Titans831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up dude I just watched the coral1g vids couple days ago! Your a bad butt! Lol. Super cool to see you on here

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What’s up dude I just watched the coral1g vids couple days ago! Your a bad butt! Lol. Super cool to see you on here
Hahaha I wouldnt say that but Ill take it as a compliment lol. Glad you enjoyed the videos!

Last edited:

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a first time diver.... Worst dive I ever did was take my wife out on a beginner dive with two other random people. I spent the first half of the dive pulling them up away from the urchins because they couldn't keep themselves buoyant.

You looked thrilled to be called Scuba Steve as well haha

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The next few days it went completely away. He survived lol

U

User1

View Badges
Looks like a first time diver....

You beat me to it. Neither looked certified and if so then very new. Too dangerous beginners especially at night. I guess the good news is that you are in a somewhat controlled environment and/or aquaculture area.

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a first time diver.... Worst dive I ever did was take my wife out on a beginner dive with two other random people. I spent the first half of the dive pulling them up away from the urchins because they couldn't keep themselves buoyant.

You looked thrilled to be called Scuba Steve as well haha

He dove before. It’s hard to get buoyant without your usual diving gears

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
He dove before. It’s hard to get buoyant without your usual diving gears
That is correct they have dove before only a couple dives though. It was much easier during the day with actual gear on. The current was unbelievably strong and due to the visibility it made it even more difficult to avoid urchins and other stuff.

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You beat me to it. Neither looked certified and if so then very new. Too dangerous beginners especially at night. I guess the good news is that you are in a somewhat controlled environment and/or aquaculture area.
He did a few other dives before this, we were in Indonesia for three weeks but thats the behind the scenes stuff. While it looks like there were very few people in the water there was a quite large group of people supervising :)

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this just last night as it popped in my suggested video to watch.

Very good video and seeing the massive amount of corals being grown there makes me happy! especially when coral reefs are dying/bleaching in many places in the world.

U

User1

View Badges
Saw this just last night as it popped in my suggested video to watch.

Very good video and seeing the massive amount of corals being grown there makes me happy! especially when coral reefs are dying/bleaching in many places in the world.

There are always bright spots. Really, there are. Places like TSA, Pacific East Aquaculture, IPSF, and others are doing their part to propagate locally rather than collecting wild. The base stock may be wild but over time the pieces they sale are their own stock. This is what we, as hobbyist, must support. That and hobbyist to hobbyist frags. It is our future to protect our hobby at least in my opinion. This is by no means doom and gloom or politics but rather common sense. So when I see places like TSA do what they are doing I think it is good for us all.

Also on a positive note take a look at Italy and their canals. Interesting how Mother Nature change change something in little as 10 days. Waters are clear and dolphins are back. Then again - maybe the dolphins have always been there but just couldn't be seen :).

Anyway - just wanted to throw out the good people like TSA do (not that it was in doubt :) ). Keep up the great work!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back