NinnJinn's 125Gal Build

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do not know how to start this thread so please excuse me as I just jump right it and start babbling.

I'm Mike, About 22yrs ago I bought a Salt water aquarium book, a 75gal tank, a cheap heater, Sand, Salt, and a hydrometer and turned it into a salt tank with TAP WATER.:eek:I Had 3 Blue damsels in it and was running 2 of the biggest HOB filters that wal-mart carried.
Thinking back to those days based on what I know now, I have no clue how those 3 fish survived! I gave up everything but my book when my 70+ yr old land lord came for an inspection and threw a fit because I had it.

Present Day (22yrs later): Tried married life, I'm raising 2 teen age daughters and living in my own house. About a month ago my 13yr old was rummaging through some of my old boxes and came across that old salt water aquarium book along with some Polaroids of my tank from back in the day.
When she approached me about the items, I told her about the old LandLord. And she made a very good point.....

"Well, You own your own house now, no one tells you what to do." "Why not try it again?"

So here I am. Blue is my favorite color so I will obviously be getting blue damsels, and my favorite fish of all time is the Blue Surgeon fish. (Well before Nemo and Dory!) I was working myself up to get one 22yrs ago when I had my first tank but back then, to me, $80 was hard to swing for a fish from the LFS.
But today, thanks to online stores etc, I see a Blue Surgeon fish in my future.

I started surfing Craig's list and found a 125gal tank with stand, LR, 3 heaters, several power heads, refungium, RODI etc. For $500
I shot him an offer of $450 and he said if I help him tear it down he would do $450.

So on Saturday March 3, 2018 I made the 3hr drive down to get all this stuff.

I left the stand behind because it was much taller than I wanted at 40in high. But the seller ended up loading my enclosed trailer with every SW related thing he had.

March 12: Placed order to Marine Depot and BRS for items I needed.

20180314_200357_002.jpg

20180314_200524.jpg

March 14: I came home to this!!

20180314_162249.jpg
rec.jpg

Yes, I know..... I need to haul off the old Lazy boy recliner.... But I am busy building a SW tank!!

March 15: I have all the stuff needed to get this going, So its about time to stop procrastinating about stand plans and just get it done!!
My dad was looking for an excuse to get out of the house so I put him to work cutting the boards for the tank stand frame.
cutting.jpg

boards.jpg

The framing boards are cut. So tomorrow after I get off work, I will be drilling and assembling the stand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the lack of pictures. I was running out of time with having help to get the stand inside the house and the tank put on top that I totally forgot about getting pictures.

Once I got the stand in the house in the tank on top my daughter was so excited to get started that I totally spaced it on taking pictures of that as well.

Although I have a 100 gallon a day Rodi system I don't even think it's running at 50% efficiency. I have been making water for approximately 28 hours now.

Started making the water yesterday morning and filling 5-gallon buckets up.

15214067936431481808702.jpg

I forgot to pick up the door hinges Friday and Home Depot is a 30 minute drive so I will pick them up tomorrow after work and install the doors.

Last edited:

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through the same issue with my RODI. Been waking up twice in the middle of the night to switch buckets out.

OP
OP
N

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sitting here in the dark staring at the tank waiting for it to cycle. My girls love changing the colors on the light.

20180322_204021.jpg
20180322_202908.jpg 20180322_203915.jpg

Was working on the HOB overflow earlier to be able to make a Stockman standpipe and noticed that the original bulkhead was cracked and very slowly dripping SO waiting for that part.

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty cool that we are both doing our builds concurrently. It'll be fun to watch yours progress while doing mine. I put Bio-spira in yesterday morning and cut a large raw shrimp in half; threw it into the MT and sump. I'll be watching the pieces closely to see how the bacteria breaks it down. I'll repeat the process and then introduce some fish after the shrimp cycles.... I'm not running any lights on the MT, just a light on the algae turf scrubber.

OP
OP
N

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty cool that we are both doing our builds concurrently. It'll be fun to watch yours progress while doing mine. I put Bio-spira in yesterday morning and cut a large raw shrimp in half; threw it into the MT and sump. I'll be watching the pieces closely to see how the bacteria breaks it down. I'll repeat the process and then introduce some fish after the shrimp cycles.... I'm not running any lights on the MT, just a light on the algae turf scrubber.

That is cool. Do you have a build thread started yet?

OP
OP
N

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180330_223727.jpg

It's time to get this party started!!

And yes I do realize that the bottle of one and only is not enough for my tank but I'm hoping it will be enough to at least get things started.
Now to sit and wait. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
N

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still sitting and waiting....

I have been testing daily and after the fourth day of still reading 2 PPM I purchased another bottle of dr. Tims one and only and put in my tank. After the first 8 day's my ammonia went down to .25ppm. so I just dosed ammonium chloride to get it back up to 1 PPM yesterday. (24hrs later)I just now tested and it and the ammonia is between 0 and .25ppm

After I ordered it and opened it I have read API isn't the best test kits for ammonia but it is what it is.

I know every hobbyist goal is to not have algae but I really wish I would start to get algae soon so I can get a CUC so I can start the countdown of 76 days until I can add fish!!

OP
OP
N

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness it's been over 4 months since I have posted anything. I'm surprised no one has banned me yet!!!

To catch up, tank is cycled obviously. Back in April I bought a good group of clean up crew and a chocolate chip starfish. 3 Emerald crabs.

Today:
2 days ago I started freaking out thinking I had aptasia outbreak. But thanks to the good members here found out I have a bunch of tiny pineapple sponges on my glass.

Over the last 3 weeks I have seen one of my Emerald crabs has gotten ginormous and has pretty much wiped out all of my Gary (trochus snails) except for the two that I have in the sump if Mr. Crabs keeps up on this Behavior I will end up putting him somewhere else.
20180826_004706.jpg

When I bought these guys their body was about the size of a dime the other two are about the size of a nickel but this dude is about the size of a quarter and his pinchers are huge!!!

Patrick (chocolate chip starfish) is doing well. Except his chocolate chips are more like white chocolate. The underground Gary's (nassarius snails) are doing well except for their little tubes that stick up out of the sand don't see them until I squirt some reef frenzy in there after feeding Patrick.

The little assorted Hermits are funny to watch because they will leave their shell and get into a bigger one and keep flipping over on their backs.

I got my first shipment of fish. I was supposed to get 2 clown fish but they were sold out. currently have them in quarantine all seems to be going well.

20180907_102030.jpg

The fish that we have:

Bert - orange spotted goby
Ernie - Diamond Watchman goby
Big Bird - yellow tang
Dory - blue tang/surgeonfish
Zoe - royal gamma basslett ( my oldest daughter Zoey is not enthused with this. I guess it's a teenager thing.)

I know that I'm going to tick off some purest. But I bought some artificial corals and plan on rearranging my rock work this weekend.

15363316609416045866062012148217.jpg

Since the tangs like to swim through the T connector PVC in the QT I'm going to buy some bigger ones and do my live rock around them so that the fish actually have caves to go into.

Here is the current tank shot taken about 15 minutes ago during tank maintenance.

20180907_101325.jpg

Last edited:

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your fish choice, might do something similar when I get my bigger tank. Nice job following along!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back