Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 200gl fowlr, ton of live rock.
Ph 8.0
Ammonia. 15
Nitrite .0
Phosphate and nitrate off the charts.

In my sump and refugium I mangrove and cheto. Also tube anemones and feather dusters.

I have been using bioclean, with no results. Once I tried vodka and nuked a tank....never again.

Gray face and zebra moray, picasso trigger, rock mover wrasse, file fish, dog face puffer, and unidentifed blue fish. Everyone seems fine.

Tank has been up about two year, ran it through fallow a few months back.

I change 25 gl a week and siphon the substrate

I admit to over feeding, but food is normal all gone in 5 minutes.

Any ideas of why the two are so high and how to get them back

OP
OP
Damon Jensen

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add I recently started with RODI and UV, but I wouldn't think that would cause issues

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add I recently started with RODI and UV, but I wouldn't think that would cause issues
UV can cause this. Kills free floating bacteria and those eat nutrients...

You measure Ammonia? That's strange. You are still in your tank cycle? Ammonia is dangerous btw...

OP
OP
Damon Jensen

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry ammonia is .15, almost zero. So UV can be causing this? If the tank is cycling, will the UV still became problem.

I have 2 AA 24 watt UVCs, so I think I will turn one off and see what happens.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to do a little research and have a watchful eye (can potentially be dangerous) a sulfur denitrator would be perfect for a Fowler that is feed heavy and will bring nutrients to where you want them and would eliminate water changes which would be a plus on a large system

OP
OP
Damon Jensen

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said recently switched to rodi? Meaning you were using tap water before?
some tap for about a month. I used to get my water from my lfs, not sure if they used tap or rodi. They closed so it took me a month to set up make my water at home. Never had issues with lfs water. I used prime to condition my tap water

OP
OP
Damon Jensen

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another possibly, are your test kits expired? What kits are you using?
I am using sailfet. I do suspect the test might be an issue, because everything else I am testing with API and parameters are all good

OP
OP
Damon Jensen

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to do a little research and have a watchful eye (can potentially be dangerous) a sulfur denitrator would be perfect for a Fowler that is feed heavy and will bring nutrients to where you want them and would eliminate water changes which would be a plus on a large system
I like to play safe....I used vodka in one tank once and nuked it

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fowlr tanks typically run high on nutrients due to the larger livestock. If your not keeping sensitive corals like acros and don’t have a massive algae bloom then no real need to do anything.

best bet is utilizing a sulphur denitrator if the nutrient levels bother you when testing.they are not dangerous at all.

OP
OP
Damon Jensen

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fowlr tanks typically run high on nutrients due to the larger livestock. If your not keeping sensitive corals like acros and don’t have a massive algae bloom then no real need to do anything.

best bet is utilizing a sulphur denitrator if the nutrient levels bother you when testing.they are not dangerous at all.
Algae is low and mainly in fug........theynguys in the tank have survived several nuking....they are mighty. But I get concerned over adding new guys. I will loo, into the sulfur. Thanks

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They can be very dangerous. Although they can be highly efficient you in essence can nuke your tank and your family

How a sulfur denitrator can crash your tank
Hydrogen sulfide

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Are you currently unhappy with your tank or is something wrong with it now? I wouldn’t change anything if your fish are happy and everything is doing well.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be very dangerous. Although they can be highly efficient you in essence can nuke your tank and your family

How a sulfur denitrator can crash your tank
Hydrogen sulfide

that’s is in highly exceptional cases and that thread is from 2009 and Randy has expanded in modern times in that the hydrogen sulfide is in such low levels it isn’t a remote cause for concern.

DennistheMenace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t even worry about pho’s or nitrate in my predator tank. 3 large eels, a dogface, toadfish and a large sailfin tang to trim down any algae. It’s a 125, and change about 25 gallons a month. No problems. All seem happy! I run an old wet dry sump, a skimmer, UV, and an activated carbon reactor.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying it is a real possibility

lol it’s not. I’m not dead and my tank didn’t explode back in the day nor do you read about stories of reefers and their family’s dying or being poisoned back in the day from them...

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 24 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 4 7.1%
Back