Nitrate level with full Triton Method

Discussion in 'Triton Applied Reef Bioscience' started by Kenpro, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Kenpro

Kenpro Member

Hi

In the Triton test the po4 level has 0.18 as a basic level to achieve, what NO3 level is right if we want balanced NO3 PO4 ratio? Cant seem to find it in the guide

Tags:

2. Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

It's not in the guide as we do not have a set point for Nitrate.

Different systems can run at different levels depending on many factors such as tank inhabitants or what you want to achieve as far as colours etc... A full SPS system may run better at a different level when compared to a LPS system or a softy tank..

3. Kenpro

Kenpro Member

ok, tought that a ratio was necessary between the two to get a solid balance. Asked you before about algae species and you recommend as many as possible for full nutrient export. In the highly regarded brs tv episodes they outline chaeto as a good algae since caulerpa and many more can get sexual and have negative sides to them in the display, how do I avoid that happen or isnt a big deal? Should just fill up my tank in a weeks time and have to decide on what species going in

4. Tim@Triton

Caulerpa in my experience will go sexual as a last ditched attempt at survival, meaning if it is not getting what it needs in way of nutrients/light. I have probably only ever seen it happen once in a Triton system and that was most likely down to the system being a zero NO3 for a prolonged time which starved the algae. So with that said I would not overly concern myself, you should be aware of what could happen if you do not manage your system correctly but not worry too much.

5. Kenpro

Kenpro Member

Ok IM getting pestfree caulerpa and chaeto from a company called koralsea, i will look at other species to get but find it hard here in Sweden but DeJong has some red species, will tall to my lfs

6. Tim@Triton

KoralSea Algae is great

7. Kenpro

Kenpro Member

Thinking of another thing, the macroalgae wants carbondioxide to grow, going all in on my new tank i bought co2 scrubber called skimbreeze to polish the skimmer intake air from co2 and get higher ph numbers. Is this counteractive to this system since im rubbing the algae for co2? I have used with other metohods with great results.

Also got a tips here on this forum that beginning with troton core7 other methods in the startup to get less algae outbreak in the tank, is this something you know work or what do you recommend

8. Shigshwa

Shigshwa Well-Known Member

You may find that with strong enough lighting in your sump, you may not even have to run CO2 media anymore, the chaeto will suck up CO2.

9. Kenpro

Kenpro Member

That is splendid

10. Tim@Triton

CO2 scrubbers are not a good idea with Core7.

Firstly Core7 requires the C atom when creating Alkalinity and removing it from the system reduces the performance of the solutions. This can cause you to have to use more Core7 to get the same performance.

Secondly as the CO2 has a purpose in the system it is a waste of money on equipment and having to replenish the media all the time trying to remove it.

11. Kenpro

Kenpro Member

Ok, i got the feeling when using it without refugium and and another brand of liquid dosing that my corals grow faster when keeping ph at 8,3-8,4 but i can be wrong, but these numbers maybe are already there with this system when working at properly. Good to have you guys to learn from and make the journey smoother

12. Kenpro

Kenpro Member

When starting up the system, other method uses bacteria and carbonsources etc for a fast cycling period, how do triton see on this? Just mature as it is? Also bacteria dosing like Microblift special blend or therapy is this something that can be dosed to help the vitality and biology of the system longterm or not necessary or harmful. Thinking of the stories of monoculture in the liverock after long time in aquarium etc

13. Tim@Triton

Tank cycling should be carried out as you would normally, with an eye on what products you are using for possible contaminants etc. For me the best way is the setup using natural seawater, mature with chosen method (bacteria/natural whichever way you choose) and once the tank has finished it's cycle then send away for an ICP. With that information you can carry out any water changes required before adding corals and starting dosing... If you do it the other way round you can end up chasing your tail and livestock could suffer along the way..

Draft saved Draft deleted