nitrate/nitrite test

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I can explain this correct, I have a tank about 10 weeks old it is still testing for nitrite <1ppm, so I realize the nitrate test isn't exactly possible as my understanding is the nitrate test converts nitrate to nitrite and them measures that or will detect the nitrite and skew it.

If this is correct is there away to still figure out if nitrate is present by having a known amount of nitrite measured? The nitrate test comes back at 25-50ppm.

I ask as all the macro algae in the tank has slowly turned white and died, this was a gulf live rock. I assume from a lack of nutrients nitrate, but would like to confirm this somehow.

Thanks

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you used gulf live rock, I wouldn't even worry about testing for ammonia or nitrite. Your bacteria is plentiful enough to handle ammonia and nitrite.

If you nitrate came in at 25+ there is definitely not a nitrate deficiency causing your macro algae to die. This is likely another limiting factor such as iron or some other parameter instability.

Can you give us an overview of the tank (size, equipment, etc) and parameters (salinity, temp, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, phosphate).

Oh and pictures always help!

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you used gulf live rock, I wouldn't even worry about testing for ammonia or nitrite. Your bacteria is plentiful enough to handle ammonia and nitrite.

If you nitrate came in at 25+ there is definitely not a nitrate deficiency causing your macro algae to die. This is likely another limiting factor such as iron or some other parameter instability.

Can you give us an overview of the tank (size, equipment, etc) and parameters (salinity, temp, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, phosphate).

Oh and pictures always help!

My understanding is you can not accurately test for nitrate if nitrite is present. Is this not correct? The nitrite will skew the nitrate reading

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back