Nitrate testing - should i trust API?

balajeek15

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 28, 2018
Messages
734
Reaction score
225
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing Nitrate with Nyos test kit (reviewed to be accurate from BRS) for a while which has a range that starts with 0,1,3,5 and more. Since I found recently my tank is too clean with zero nitrate and phosphate I started dosing nitrate and been using the test kit a lot lately. Then i got API Nitrate test kit from amazon becaz its bit cheap and easier to do the test. What i found is API showed near zero in the test and Nyos showed 5. I didn't realize this until yesterday.

Is API not worth it?
 
Honestly API is good for your initial cycle and that’s about it in my opinion. For phosphate I trust Hanna, for nitrate either the nyos, Red Sea, or Salifert for trustworthy results.
 
Honestly API is good for your initial cycle and that’s about it in my opinion. For phosphate I trust Hanna, for nitrate either the nyos, Red Sea, or Salifert for trustworthy results.
+1
 
Honestly API is good for your initial cycle and that’s about it in my opinion. For phosphate I trust Hanna, for nitrate either the nyos, Red Sea, or Salifert for trustworthy results.

Thanks, I already use Hanna for Phosphate, its just the Nitrate I am concerned about.
 
Every Test requires a backup test kit for those what the heck moments. I find API a perfect test kit for that. If Nitrate is higher or lower than expected it will at least confirm that the Salifert Kit is still reading right.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new