Nitrate testing - should i trust API?

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing Nitrate with Nyos test kit (reviewed to be accurate from BRS) for a while which has a range that starts with 0,1,3,5 and more. Since I found recently my tank is too clean with zero nitrate and phosphate I started dosing nitrate and been using the test kit a lot lately. Then i got API Nitrate test kit from amazon becaz its bit cheap and easier to do the test. What i found is API showed near zero in the test and Nyos showed 5. I didn't realize this until yesterday.

Is API not worth it?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly API is good for your initial cycle and that’s about it in my opinion. For phosphate I trust Hanna, for nitrate either the nyos, Red Sea, or Salifert for trustworthy results.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly API is good for your initial cycle and that’s about it in my opinion. For phosphate I trust Hanna, for nitrate either the nyos, Red Sea, or Salifert for trustworthy results.

Thanks, I already use Hanna for Phosphate, its just the Nitrate I am concerned about.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every Test requires a backup test kit for those what the heck moments. I find API a perfect test kit for that. If Nitrate is higher or lower than expected it will at least confirm that the Salifert Kit is still reading right.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back