Nitrates and Pho problems

Terry DeMott

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2017
Messages
475
Reaction score
90
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say need some help my nitrates and Pho problems nitrates are high and pho are 2.50 this is a clown fish harem tank w/ 30 clowns and 15 anemone I have tried NOPEX, GFO. and an algae scrubber with no result any ideas. thx
 
great will post pic
 
Last edited:
I see you've posted this in April as well. If they're doing well, maybe just keep doing what you've been doing. My anemones seem to thrive in a "dirty tank". If you are worried, you can cut your feeding and do some larger water changes. And then start to feed less. But I always say if it ain't beoke, don't fix it.
 
Say need some help my nitrates and Pho problems nitrates are high and pho are 2.50 this is a clown fish harem tank w/ 30 clowns and 15 anemone I have tried NOPEX, GFO. and an algae scrubber with no result any ideas. thx

Do you use a skimmer? Also, are you sure your test kits are right? How do the fish seem like they're doing? Do you have corals in your tank?

For PO4 removal, I highly recommend ROWAphos. It's by far the best from my experience. What is your NO3 at? What do you consider high?
 
here is a pic of tank
IMG_0263.JPG
 
Say need some help my nitrates and Pho problems nitrates are high and pho are 2.50 this is a clown fish harem tank w/ 30 clowns and 15 anemone I have tried NOPEX, GFO. and an algae scrubber with no result any ideas. thx
If you are sure your phosphates are 2.5 when they should be below 0.2, you might investigate Brightwell aquatics phosphat-e. Be careful, ba doesn't do a good job with warning. Do not lower phospnate more than 0.5 every couple of days. I drip 10 ml diluted into 500 ml ro over 8 hours into the overflow, all being filtered thru 5 micron sox. Lanthanum is the active ingredient that immediately binds with phosphate to form a precipitate. If it is not filtered, it can harm fish's gills. But it will drop the phosphate, no doubt. Do not use below 0.2, use gfo or equivalent.
I use this every other month in my overstocked tank, which contains btas and clowns with the other livestock.
Nopox takes a good month to notice any effect, but if your phosphate is truly 2.5, the carbon/po4 takeout ratio will limit/slow the po4 removal.
Please get a hanna po4 low range checker since this needs monitoring until you find the root cause.
 
I dont think your clam would survive that po4 level.
Please verify before doing anything.
 
2 new test kits for pho and nitrate 250 pho nirates high
IMG_0264.JPG
 
2 new test kits for pho and nitrate 250 pho nirates high
IMG_0264.JPG
If you said po4 = 250 with hanna ultra low, that is 250 ppb = 0.25 ppm, not too high, use gfo or rowaphos as someone suggested.
Or do nothing, some reefers run twice that for years.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new