Nitrates and Phosphates

kathya0321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates and Nitrates have been high, Nitrates running 41, Phosphates 0.190. I have a GHA breakout and now Cyano. I did a 2 gallon water change. Readings Nitrates 33.8 and Phosphates 0.150. I added 1ml of Red Sea NO3: PO4 X yesterday, today I tested and my Nitrates are 21.2 and Phosphates 0. Is the Nitrate reading acceptable? I don't plan on dosing again due to the Phosphate level. Any advice? I have a 16 gallon Bio Cube, 2 clown fish, 1 Blennie, 1 Fire Shrimp and a clean up crew.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates and Nitrates have been high, Nitrates running 41, Phosphates 0.190. I have a GHA breakout and now Cyano. I did a 2 gallon water change. Readings Nitrates 33.8 and Phosphates 0.150. I added 1ml of Red Sea NO3: PO4 X yesterday, today I tested and my Nitrates are 21.2 and Phosphates 0. Is the Nitrate reading acceptable? I don't plan on dosing again due to the Phosphate level. Any advice? I have a 16 gallon Bio Cube, 2 clown fish, 1 Blennie, 1 Fire Shrimp and a clean up crew.
Those nitrate levels are acceptable for fish and maybe coral depending on what coral you have.

To be honest with that size tank I would have done a 50% water change to get nitrates and phosphates down without any additives involved.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. Water change works best on nano tank for nutrients control. Although it primarily lowers nitrates not phosphate. Another 50% change will bring nitrates down to 10. Just monitor feeding and keep up with weekly water changes. You don't want 0 phosphate though so feeding pellets can bring that up or dose neophos.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t get hung up on numbers, it can take you down a dark path that leads to disaster. Instead, do weekly 10-15% water changes and add the appropriate herbivores to tend to the algae. Using carbon dosing in such a small tank is too risky in my book and can lead to more problems. Algae grows in the absence of herbivores and the same conditions that corals need, are the same conditions algae needs. Imagine a coral reef without herbivores, it would be covered in algae. That’s why you don’t have an algae problem, you have a herbivore problem. You would’ve been better off adding some siporax in your back chamber to naturally knock down your nitrates a little, than to use carbon dosing. The best approach would be to manually remove GHA during each water change and to add some snails. I would also advise you to pick up a good book on reefing, the information contained within the pages will stay with you forever and you would have a better understanding on reef aquarium biology, which in today’s forum world, gets lost.

OP
OP
kathya0321

kathya0321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get hung up on numbers, it can take you down a dark path that leads to disaster. Instead, do weekly 10-15% water changes and add the appropriate herbivores to tend to the algae. Using carbon dosing in such a small tank is too risky in my book and can lead to more problems. Algae grows in the absence of herbivores and the same conditions that corals need, are the same conditions algae needs. Imagine a coral reef without herbivores, it would be covered in algae. That’s why you don’t have an algae problem, you have a herbivore problem. You would’ve been better off adding some siporax in your back chamber to naturally knock down your nitrates a little, than to use carbon dosing. The best approach would be to manually remove GHA during each water change and to add some snails. I would also advise you to pick up a good book on reefing, the information contained within the pages will stay with you forever and you would have a better understanding on reef aquarium biology, which in today’s forum world, gets lost.
I do have snails, but they never clean the rocks, just the back and glass. I even got an emerald crab I never see. Going to look for a reef keeping book for reference. Thank you.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have snails, but they never clean the rocks, just the back and glass. I even got an emerald crab I never see. Going to look for a reef keeping book for reference. Thank you.
CuC doesn't remove the need for maintenance, only helps it out

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to carbon dose, the key thing is:
1.start with very low dose
2.increase dosage slowly
3.consistent dosing
4.aerate well

You are trying to raise a colony of bacteria to consume those nutrients. They need to be fed consistently.

A side note: bacteria from carbon dosing can be fantastic coral foodbb

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back