Nitrates didn't go down after water change

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update, did a water change today, Nitrates went down everything is fine :) worried too early haha

Fliper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I doing something wrong or is API test kit being wonky?

Did a 20% change and normally I always see the nitrate drop as it should. For the first time after my waterchange today, my nitrate didnt budge a bit. Is it because I didnt siphon the sand enough? Not enough CUC (I only have around ~5 snails in a large tank)? or is the API test kit being weird? All my other parameters came out perfect so this is confusing. I'll be doing another 20% change soon, and if it doesnt go down, any advice how to deal with this?

I over stocked my 180 gallon and I overfeed too lol (because it’s fun). My nitrates and phosphates are undetectable and have been a long time (using API test - who cares if I’m at 1-3ppm). Anyhow, do you want to know my secret? Bio pellets and a reef octopus 200int protein skimmer. I also vacuume weekly (running my output into a filter sock so I don’t lose water) and I change my filter socks (I have 1 for each return) every day. If you keep your protein skimmer’s neck clean (daily) it will be more efficient. I bought an automatic neck cleaner so my neck gets cleaned every 6 hours (it’s on a timer). Anyhow, spend some money and buy a biopellet reactor and a reef octopus protein skimmer or another reputable brand and don’t worry about nitrates anymore. I also have a lot of snails of all kinds and crabs too. All my leftover food gets attacked by my crabs so I don’t worry about a bunch of leftovers on the bottom of my tank - they don’t last long. I learned along the way (12 years in this awesome hobby) to spend money on filtration. If you take my advice, keeping your nitrates at 5-10 for coral is going to be a problem hahaha. You might need to buy a dolphin to dirty the water a bit lol.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your nitrates at right now?
20ish !

I over stocked my 180 gallon and I overfeed too lol (because it’s fun). My nitrates and phosphates are undetectable and have been a long time (using API test - who cares if I’m at 1-3ppm). Anyhow, do you want to know my secret? Bio pellets and a reef octopus 200int protein skimmer. I also vacuume weekly (running my output into a filter sock so I don’t lose water) and I change my filter socks (I have 1 for each return) every day. If you keep your protein skimmer’s neck clean (daily) it will be more efficient. I bought an automatic neck cleaner so my neck gets cleaned every 6 hours (it’s on a timer). Anyhow, spend some money and buy a biopellet reactor and a reef octopus protein skimmer or another reputable brand and don’t worry about nitrates anymore. I also have a lot of snails of all kinds and crabs too. All my leftover food gets attacked by my crabs so I don’t worry about a bunch of leftovers on the bottom of my tank - they don’t last long. I learned along the way (12 years in this awesome hobby) to spend money on filtration. If you take my advice, keeping your nitrates at 5-10 for coral is going to be a problem hahaha. You might need to buy a dolphin to dirty the water a bit lol.

Thanks for the advice! My tank is understocked right now, but I plan to turn it up a notch soon haha. Know any good deals on dolphins? haha

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got my nitrates down with sugar dosing and vitamin c dosing... water changes were doing nothing!!

4TheLoveOfReefs85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use RO/DI water or tap? I ask because some taps have high Nitrate. I agree with Randy too. Although I think API tests get a bad rap, I will say their Nitrate test kit has been the least reliable for me. It is also their test with the most variables while testing too (two solutions, bottle shaking, etc.)
For a prime example as to why they can't be trusted- I ran three separate tests yesterday (all using RO/DI water). Every single one of them gave back three different readings. API tests fluctuate and are never accurate enough to fully trust.

lordraptor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going to pick up a nyos nitrate kit tomorrow, i last night i had to remove all my rock to catch a fish and i have always had nitrate issues from what i have no idea seeing as i only had a pair of clowns, a kole, and a blue spot rabbit. so shile i was at it i went ahead and replaced all my subtrate and did an almost 100% water change ( only the 10+ gallons in my sump remained) and when i tested it with my api test kit after i was finished i was shocked to see the api test solution go to red within a few seconds of shaking the tube. and i have always had high trates according to api so for me its time to move on from them. i thought about going with the hanna but after reading the long process and how it is easily screwed up during the filter part of the test as well as how high the api test kit is reading im not sure the hanna would even work for me at this point LOL.

anywa, my point is, i have used api for years without issue but the last couple of times i got an api test kit i was let down big time and i wonder if it might have somethign to do with how nowadays apis test tube caps leake when you are shaking them and the tests are somehow being contaminated ( if fluid can get out then you bet contaminants can get in).

lordraptor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i have some news folks after a few weeks testing i can say that i dont trust nyos anymore than api. shows nitrate dark orange ( off scale max of 160) a doing a thorough 100% water change ( meaning i did 3 85 gallon water changes in my 150 gallon tank accounting for the extra capacity of the my trigger sapphire 34 sump). the nyos test kit and my api test kit both remain unchanged. sorry but no possible way should the nitrates have not come down afterwards.

to answer questions before asked.

rodi used
fritz rpm blue box used
filter socks and foam cleaned every 3 days ( have to because they plug up if left in longer)
ats groing algae ( although it is more like slime than the gha looking stuff i have seen others posting pics of)
skimmer producing dark skinmate
fish in tank magnificent foxface, pair ocelleris, orange skunk clown 2 x long tentacle nems, devils hand leather, toadstool leather, 3 stripe damsel in sump. ( lost my hammer frag and featherduster todayas they were found dead this morning but everything else seems fine).

im seriously starting to get ticked off this time, i have NEVER had so many issues with a saltwater tank in my life.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back