Nitrites increased

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was asking about the nitrite not the nitrate.

Honestly could just be some misreading or whatever. 0.05 nitrite is not really consequential to anything. I was just kinda curious to be honest.

Even if you check your water prior to mixing and found it contained 0.2 nitrite, yeah it is not like it really changes anything. If your tank is properly cycled that nitrite blip would go away soon enough (presuming it was a true reading).
Nitrites play a huge role in toxicity when it comes to Freshwater aquaria but insignificant unless at high elevated with marine systems

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your initial cycle is complete I wouldn’t worry at all, unless there are some symptoms with the livestock. Nitrites convert to nitrates very quickly. Particularly if you have no measurable ammonia to act as a source.

Like Vetteguy said, Nitrites just aren’t as big of a concern in salt water tanks like they are in freshwater.

Id recommend you keep up with your normal testing, check the nitrites every couple of days to make sure things are consistent. If the tank is that new and lightly populated it’s not unusual for parameters to swing a bit. Particularly if your routine has inconsistencies.

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asking about the nitrite not the nitrate.

Honestly could just be some misreading or whatever. 0.05 nitrite is not really consequential to anything. I was just kinda curious to be honest.

Even if you check your water prior to mixing and found it contained 0.2 nitrite, yeah it is not like it really changes anything. If your tank is properly cycled that nitrite blip would go away soon enough (presuming it was a true reading).
I will check it again in a few days and see where I stand.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes, I know. I was just curious where it could have came from.
It is produced as nitrifying bacteria in the biological filter break down ammonia. Without nitrite present, the cycling process cannot complete itself and not unusual for it after 6 weeks to elevate and drop several times..

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is produced as nitrifying bacteria in the biological filter break down ammonia. Without nitrite present, the cycling process cannot complete itself and not unusual for it after 6 weeks to elevate and drop several times..
It would not be the case if there was not a complete drop of ammonia to zero and then addition of it again. Which should not be the case here given there should not have been a massive addition of ammonia based on op's post.

Hence my curiosity as it sounds like either a false reading or would have came through the water change.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 25% water change 4 days ago and now Nitrites are 0.05 and Nitrates are 0. Before the water change Nitrites were 0 and Nitrates were 2. Amonia has stayed at 0. Added beneficial bacteria at water change and turned skimmer off for 3 days. Is this normal?
Freshly prepared saltwater may have low levels of both ammonia and nitrite. A tiny portion of the nitrite could have come directly from the water change but the bulk of the nitrite could have come from the small dose of ammonia in the salt mix. As was pointed out, 0.05 ppm is nothing to be concerned with.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
False readings were mentioned up front and suspect to this

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshly prepared saltwater may have low levels of both ammonia and nitrite. A tiny portion of the nitrite could have come directly from the water change but the bulk of the nitrite could have come from the small dose of ammonia in the salt mix. As was pointed out, 0.05 ppm is nothing to be concerned with.
Thank you. Makes sense!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back