Nitrites Rising

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I recently completed the cycling of my first tank and added a couple clownfish and a couple of snails, however it appears my nitrites are climbing back up slowly, any suggestions as to the cause? Other than water changes, is there anything I can do?

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is converted to nitrites, then nitrites are converted into nitrates. I believe the issue is you don't have enough biological bacteria to convert the nitrites into nitrates at an efficient rate. So if you just add some bottled bacteria it should fix the issue. I recommend Fritz Turbo Start 900.

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What level are we talking about?

Nitrite is not toxic in marine systems, so generally you can ignore it.

I’m talking about my nitrite levels, and it’s interesting you say that because my LFS said that levels about 2ppm she wouldn’t even sell invertebrates and is surprised my fish are still alive.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
^ I never knew that either. Thank you for sharing that.

When I was starting my first saltwater aquarium 20 years ago, I was told by the local pet store that nitrite was basically poison to any living creature put in the tank and that it was lethal at any levels...hence the reasoning to add live bacteria to break it down into nitrates.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We track stuck cycle purchase impulses in another thread, it’s important to see patterns associated with forum cycling vs reef convention cycling where sellers have no probs meeting start dates for complete reefs for 20 years no fails. Linked

Randys nitrite info has saved my cycling threads thousands of dollars in unneeded purchases.

Piscean and I had previously discussed this material, but there are YouTube videos from MACNA speakers specifically saying nitrite is bad, so no harm. See how the sales mechanism works though, fascinating

we have been told something by bottle bac sellers that apparently isn’t the case and just randomly happens to boost sales (the macna video says nitrite presence can stall ammonia control)

I’m not being mean, I’m being an internet skeptic aiming completely opposing data at each other and enjoying the show.

I have about fifty examples handy this is 51 that nitrite does not impact anything, including ammonia control (or Piscean’s animals would be dead vs great)

nitrite-spurned buying is grossly vastly outnumbered by api .25 ammonia stuck cycles, tens of thousands per year. The combined effect of these two drivers, wow $

this feels like being the masked guy who tells all the magician secrets on the nine pm show

Last edited:
OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s where I am, I’m new so I’m afraid of making any catastrophic mistakes, at this point I’ve bought like 4 bottles of bacteria....with a 5 on its way ‍♂️

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piscean

pls can you update here we are still tracking nitrite issues in new tank cycles, a year after feedback would help in the patterning

part of what we study is how being positive for nitrite makes people buy bacteria designed to handle ammonia, over and over and it wastes our money.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back