No love for MH?

Would you ever use Metal Halide lighting again?

• Yes I use MH lighting now

Votes: 264 20.5%
  • Yes maybe in the future

Votes: 319 24.7%
  • No I would not

Votes: 679 52.7%
  • Other (please xplain in the thread)

Votes: 27 2.1%

• Total voters

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the same in the Toronto area. visited many stores and when you mention MH they look at you as if you’ve two heads and I’ve been told me you can’t buy MH systems . Aside from a small handful of vendors who’ve been in the industry 10+ years,I’ve the impression many retailers have never used halide, and therefore don’t stock or support them. Coming back into the hobby after 12 year break, it’s been a little disappointing.... or maybe I’m just crusty.

The good news, there are a couple online retailers in Canada, JL Aquatics and Reef Supplies that sell an assortment of bulbs and reflectors. They’ll also special order if it’s not in stock.
Hopefully it will be just a matter of time for those stores to understand, use and teach about the benefits of halides.

I've got halide gears from many parts of the world. J&L has a great customer service! I've got some from them in the past. They pack really well too! Very happy with them. I'm happy for you!

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.58.49 PM.png

Great to know about ReefSupplies too. Thanks!!!

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.59.09 PM.png

reeffreak911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the same in the Toronto area. visited many stores and when you mention MH they look at you as if you’ve two heads and I’ve been told me you can’t buy MH systems . Aside from a small handful of vendors who’ve been in the industry 10+ years,I’ve the impression many retailers have never used halide, and therefore don’t stock or support them. Coming back into the hobby after 12 year break, it’s been a little disappointing.... or maybe I’m just crusty.

The good news, there are a couple online retailers in Canada, JL Aquatics and Reef Supplies that sell an assortment of bulbs and reflectors. They’ll also special order if it’s not in stock.
All the lfs around my area use to use halides and t5 cause leds haven't been around that long maybe 9years now all the lfs use leds I still use halides with a blue led strip to watch my corals glow when halides come off

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my light I ordered direct from giesmann, the Infiniti 48” I went with for my IM nuvo 150 int
I hope some of the vendors in US would see posts like this and realize there are people willing to go that far to get their halide fixtures!
Very nice!! Pics?

Last edited:

Pablo reefcabar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope some of the vendors in US would see posts like this and realize there are people willing to go that far to get their halide fixtures!
Very nice!! Pics?
90E27145-8F31-4D3A-A470-B2B545C8DFB8.jpeg

Attachments

• EAAA359F-EE9E-471C-80D8-65385C67E8C1.jpeg
    EAAA359F-EE9E-471C-80D8-65385C67E8C1.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 6C55A1A7-4F37-45E5-A5AF-B12EAD8A40C7.jpeg
    6C55A1A7-4F37-45E5-A5AF-B12EAD8A40C7.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 41

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unbiased observation here. But while I see this kind of talk mentioned here or there, it seems WAY less prevalent than it used to. I feel like the digitally represented hobbyist base (those active on forums and social media) is dominated (by a large margin) by people who have only ever known leds, and haven’t even SEEN a metal halide in person, outside of street lights. I feel like the hobby has about 99% assimilated itself into the “led is THE reef light”, and no comparisons to other technology are even considered necessary or even something that was once done. Good bad or indifferent, that is what I am observing.
I agree with you. I used Hamilton MH lights 20 years ago and loved them. When I got back into the hobby early last year I got Kessil AP700 LEDs because they looked the most like MH IMHO. I went with LEDS because they run cooler last longer, are more energy efficient and are programmable. Now I am not sure they are really cheaper in the long run.

When this fixture goes, I would consider MH again depending on what's available at the time.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! The power of the heat makes the whole system to flourish just like under the sun! It's never enough! LOL!
Newbies: please don't think halides are THAT hot per say! They are just HOT in growing and coloring corals!
Exactly.
My Halide reflectors are warm to the touch but do not affect tank temp in any way.
The tank runs the same temp as my former 8 bulb ATI T5 unit.

By fission I was saying they grow corals just like the sun, lol!

Another funny Halide story.
I went to the sps dominant lfs store yesterday.
I was talking to a couple of local reefers that I did not know.
They showed me a few pics of their tanks and were all excited.
I then showed them a video of my tank.
They wanted to know what settings I was running on my leds to get the colors they were seeing.
I told them setting 1 the Halides setting.
I walked around the store for awhile and ended up buying a nice paleta pink tip that was from a local reefers tank. The actual colony was in the frag tank.
Anyway on the way out the 2 reefers wanted to know everything about my Halides which I shared.
They had no idea as the lfs is all radions.
Their is more to reefing than light as we all know, but I love my Halides!
This is the video I showed them.
Peace brother and push the Halides like I do, lol.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly.
My Halide reflectors are warm to the touch but do not affect tank temp in any way.
The tank runs the same temp as my former 8 bulb ATI T5 unit.

By fission I was saying they grow corals just like the sun, lol!

Another funny Halide story.
I went to the sps dominant lfs store yesterday.
I was talking to a couple of local reefers that I did not know.
They showed me a few pics of their tanks and were all excited.
I then showed them a video of my tank.
They wanted to know what settings I was running on my leds to get the colors they were seeing.
I told them setting 1 the Halides setting.
I walked around the store for awhile and ended up buying a nice paleta pink tip that was from a local reefers tank. The actual colony was in the frag tank.
Anyway on the way out the 2 reefers wanted to know everything about my Halides which I shared.
They had no idea as the lfs is all radions.
Their is more to reefing than light as we all know, but I love my Halides!
This is the video I showed them.
Peace brother and push the Halides like I do, lol.

Thanks for the video!! Your tank is steaming with life! Gotta love Acros! Do you know the species' names? Love them all! That stag is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

chris_san

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Et oui!
Rien n´éclaire comme une belle ampoule hqi.
Je viens de démonter deux ati STRATON pour remettre ma spectra Giesemann.
C'est juste incomparable!
Le soleil est de retour sur mon bac!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Et oui!
Rien n´éclaire comme une belle ampoule hqi.
Je viens de démonter deux ati STRATON pour remettre ma spectra Giesemann.
C'est juste incomparable!
Le soleil est de retour sur mon bac!
Spectra est l'un des luminaires les mieux fabriqués! J'ai aussi un Spectra et les résultats sont incroyables! Vous savez mieux ... le soleil est de retour! Avez-vous des photos?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back