No love for MH?

Would you ever use Metal Halide lighting again?

• Yes I use MH lighting now

Votes: 264 20.5%
  • Yes maybe in the future

Votes: 319 24.7%
  • No I would not

Votes: 679 52.7%
  • Other (please xplain in the thread)

Votes: 27 2.1%

• Total voters

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although your tank looks great . I always find that corals grown under led look "different " than those grown under halides that tend to look by a long stretch more "natural". Still in my 3rd setup process I plan on giesemann inifiti for my nuvo 150int IM lagoon . More to come

I actually agree. I used MH (plus VHO actinics) for almost 20 years before gradually switching over to LED. I still prefer the look of MH, but LED just works better overall for me. The thing I don’t like is how many folks tune their
LED lights for that distorted look. If you go for a more balanced look I don’t think that corals look more natural by a long stretch. As a diver, I can tell you that none of the reef tank light choices available can touch what you see on a natural shallow reef, even if MH gets slightly closer. LED actually do a better job of replicating the deeper reefs.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that’s it’s about 3:1 people not using MH versus using MH. I’m actually a bit surprised it’s that high given the dearth of good MH fixtures and bulbs these days. They ARE still available, of course, but not like they used to be. That’s partly what prompted me to make the shift ..... saw the writing on the wall. Perhaps there will be a ‘renaissance’ akin to vinyl LPs, though I tend to doubt it.

Burning Spear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the power consumption of halides I probably would not had started another tank at this time if LEDs were not as available as they are today

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the power consumption of halides I probably would not had started another tank at this time if LEDs were not as available as they are today

That’s a valid point. But to that avail...your previous tank was using some....1020 watts of lighting, replaced by 270 watts, likely not even run at full power. Your power draw is significantly less but your intensity and coverage will also be significantly less as well. While leds enjoy some increased lumen per watt efficiency, there’s a massive disparity there in those two particular light sources. I could be wrong though. Also depends on what you’re growing. If you’re focusing on euphyllia and the like, the decreased wattage will probably be appreciated

Burning Spear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a valid point. But to that avail...your previous tank was using some....1020 watts of lighting, replaced by 270 watts, likely not even run at full power. Your power draw is significantly less but your intensity and coverage will also be significantly less as well. While leds enjoy some increased lumen per watt efficiency, there’s a massive disparity there in those two particular light sources. I could be wrong though. Also depends on what you’re growing. If you’re focusing on euphyllia and the like, the decreased wattage will probably be appreciated
I’m going to try sps since I went with the 90s. I do notice that the tank does not glow the same. I do know that I can’t look at the led light without getting blinded. The dc pumps are also a huge power savings.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to leds and noticed a 7$ a month difference In my electric bill. I don’t run a chiller, no need. I run the house ac in the summer as normal. The start up cost of leds will make it a long time before the $7 a month is worth it. Plus my leds are already back at the manufacture getting fixed and diodes replaced. Not complaining. Just pointing out that they don’t last 10 years like everyone thought they would and depending on where you live he electric savings is minimal. Especially if you have a larger tank and swap watts for watts to get the coverage you need.
I lit my cube with 2 halides each one 250 watts, I’d need at least 4 radion G4’s to get close to the coverage. Granted they might not run at 100%.....but they might. I run the orpheks pretty hard and more towards the radium spectrum (their growth and color program).

corey

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am missing my MHs. Switched to LEDs about 6 months ago and feel I wasted my money. MHs just have such diffuse beautiful light and the coral growth is healthy and crazy fast. However, the heat, energy, evaporation, temp swings, and bulky hoods are negatives.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well do pictures online represent the actual color look of different MH bulbs? I cannot decide between 14k and 20k. I do not like the crazy actinic blue from LEDs/T5s but I do like a little/moderate blue. 400 watt 14k seems not to be popular. I was then thinking well if I get a switchable ballast I can go from trying 250w 14k to 400w 20k but I have heard that magnetic ballasts put out more par/are better so if I want that I cannot do the easy try it and switch.

Now maybe to avoid worrying about this I just use the supplemental T5s to make more or less blue. Would going 14k with blue T5s or 20k w whitish T5s be a better idea?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures will vary just as much as with any light. Before apps like Lightroom were so readily available, people just had bad cameras and took bad pictures. It’s hard to trust anything to be honest.

I think which reflectors you will be using as well as your tank dimensions will be deciding factors on what bulb wattage you go with

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I see so few people using 400w 14k, is it because it puts out too much par? Would only be appropriate for really deep tanks?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I see so few people using 400w 14k, is it because it puts out too much par? Would only be appropriate for really deep tanks?

Likely because it is out of fashion I would bet the number one reason is. The 400 watt radium has become such a gold standard for people wanting to illuminate big tanks in big reflectors. The few people that actually still use MH seem to gravitate toward that bulb.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 of the nicest tanks I have ever seen were lit by MHs, must just be pleasing to my eye, anyway...

JP Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run MH and supplement with LED. I wish more fixtures were available that would replace the T5 with LED. I think the MH/LED combo is the best personally.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 16" deep, and I run 20K 250 watt radium with 2 blue + ati, and 2 actinic ati bulbs. I love the color, it has blue tint, but plenty of white as well. Very pleasing to my eye. I do however plan to add some LED strips soon so I can add some pop.

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that magnetic ballasts put out more par/are better so if I want that I cannot do the easy try it and switch.

I've not run mag ballasts for a long time, but they can deliver more PAR because they can draw more power than an electronic ballast. The result is more PAR but also more heat.

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You pretty much answered your own question, but also factor in increased power usage & increased heat output from a 400 wt bulb compared to a 250 wt. Unless your tank is taller than say 30" I really can't see needing 400's vs 250's. My tank is 30" high & I run 250's - corals/clams at bottom are thriving. HTH

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the heat difference between the 250 and 400, 37% less for the 250 as the math might suggest or is that not peoples experience?

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a MH fixture for years. They run so hot, the electric meter spins, my AC ran much more in the summer and I think they are an increased fire hazard due to the temps they run. Converted to LEDs and will not be changing back. The LED spectrum will only get better over the years.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 64 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back