No love for MH?

Would you ever use Metal Halide lighting again?

• Yes I use MH lighting now

Votes: 264 20.5%
  • Yes maybe in the future

Votes: 319 24.7%
  • No I would not

Votes: 679 52.7%
  • Other (please xplain in the thread)

Votes: 27 2.1%

• Total voters

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2c I have found my perfect 250 DE Radium replacement .... FINALLY after many, many, many attempts of diff products , its 99% the exact growth , colors, health does not color morph or polyp scoop my micro-lordes , acans , ect , while also gaining the ease of modern control its 90w and no bulb changes for 15k, 20,23 hits a 2'x2' like a champ , and the shimmer ...... Radium (original formula 400w) would approve of. Seeing the white ripples in full 15k daylight , none of the leds till these even come close , I am about 2 months into totally changing over my whole system and would never look back ... plus the ease of program-ability and a moonlight you cant come close with MH any more imho , these just came out though like very recently and people are too vested into what they have so , do what works , just sharing my recent endevours . Keep it fragtastic peeps !

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any info regarding Radium bulbs production, meaning should we see shortages soon?
I read somewhere there was a conference happening this year addressing the possible ban of MH bulbs?

Also, how long can we store MH bulbs for? I'm like a doomsday prepper, stocked bulbs for 3+ years, might get some more if production is an issue in the future.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2c I have found my perfect 250 DE Radium replacement .... FINALLY after many, many, many attempts of diff products , its 99% the exact growth , colors, health does not color morph or polyp scoop my micro-lordes , acans , ect , while also gaining the ease of modern control its 90w and no bulb changes for 15k, 20,23 hits a 2'x2' like a champ , and the shimmer ...... Radium (original formula 400w) would approve of. Seeing the white ripples in full 15k daylight , none of the leds till these even come close , I am about 2 months into totally changing over my whole system and would never look back ... plus the ease of program-ability and a moonlight you cant come close with MH any more imho , these just came out though like very recently and people are too vested into what they have so , do what works , just sharing my recent endevours . Keep it fragtastic peeps !

you didn’t say what the replacement was. And this is the first ive heard of a 250 watt DE radium.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any info regarding Radium bulbs production, meaning should we see shortages soon?
I read somewhere there was a conference happening this year addressing the possible ban of MH bulbs?

Also, how long can we store MH bulbs for? I'm like a doomsday prepper, stocked bulbs for 3+ years, might get some more if production is an issue in the future.
Why would they ban halides?

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would they ban halides?
I gotta find the source but seems like there is a movement to ban it due to its energy consumption and believe mercury vapor contents.

Just found it:

There was another motion to add almost all Mh bulbs used in agriculture and other fields including mariculture. I gotta find it.

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta find the source but seems like there is a movement to ban it due to its energy consumption and believe mercury vapor contents.
This is the German government correct? Because they’re not produced in America. The legislation for lighting in America is not new, and it just sets certain lumen/watt efficiency standards for general lighting. It does not apply to specialty lighting, such as blue metal halide bulbs, which are stated by the manufacturer for use in photography, film lighting, and yes aquarium use. None of those fall under the general lighting umbrella. Now...because consumers for general lighting and commercial high bay lighting are moving toward led use, we have seen a decline in availability and variety of bulbs, but this has absolutely nothing to do with the government banning the sale and use of metal halide bulbs. Hope that helps

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the German government correct? Because they’re not produced in America. The legislation for lighting in America is not new, and it just sets certain lumen/watt efficiency standards for general lighting. It does not apply to specialty lighting, such as blue metal halide bulbs, which are stated by the manufacturer for use in photography, film lighting, and yes aquarium use. None of those fall under the general lighting umbrella. Now...because consumers for general lighting and commercial high bay lighting are moving toward led use, we have seen a decline in availability and variety of bulbs, but this has absolutely nothing to do with the government banning the sale and use of metal halide bulbs. Hope that helps
I hope you are correct, it would be a bummer if we couldnt get more Radiums. I was at another forum and someone there had lots of information about this ban threat, and supposedly some green group was really pushing for the total ban of the mh technology bringing the convention and mercury to add momentum.

Im involved in the energy distribution field and we see lots of push already in CA where businesses and residential new construction have to only rely in solar, no gas installations anymore. Although unrelated to the topic, I can definitely see motions to force us to only use energy efficient utilities.

Call me crazy but reading this info made me think soon MH bulbs would become hard to get.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right:

"Lights and bulbs: Compact fluorescent bulbs of 30 watts or less will be banned by 2020 if they exceed 5 milligrams of mercury. Certain other halophosphate and fluorescent lamps also will be banned by 2020"

There are more important mercury related ramifications to be addressed before light bulbs, like the gold mining, vaccines and batteries. But I think they will try to get to all bulbs eventually. We could be so old that we wouldn't be able to lift up buckets to do water changes anymore. LOL! Or be dead before that happens. I would be more worried about our amazing HOT5 bulbs in terms of banning, but that also not probably going to happen soon either.
It would be so great if they could make a serious mandatory recycling program right now to prevent such banning.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you are correct, it would be a bummer if we couldnt get more Radiums. I was at another forum and someone there had lots of information about this ban threat, and supposedly some green group was really pushing for the total ban of the mh technology bringing the convention and mercury to add momentum.

Im involved in the energy distribution field and we see lots of push already in CA where businesses and residential new construction have to only rely in solar, no gas installations anymore. Although unrelated to the topic, I can definitely see motions to force us to only use energy efficient utilities.

Call me crazy but reading this info made me think soon MH bulbs would become hard to get.
California has so many serious problems and they're still living a nearly impossible expensive "green dream". They worry too much about those green ideas and let their people parish on the streets, homeless, killing themselves with drugs! They forget the basics of humanity care to be attached to their slogans. They're visions aren't everyone else's, so to see California as an example isn't too accurate. They have their own agenda.
No, we can't live without Radiums! ;Wideyed
LOL!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea where to go recycle these kinds of things locally. Hardware store used to but they don’t anymore.
Home Depot still accepts certain bulbs.
If it was mandatory they would take all bulbs from us.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radiums are too rich for my blood. Hamilton’s all day over here. Going to beef up the back stock on Black Friday
Hamilton is truly great! That's what I'm running right now.
But Radiums with M80 will be wonderful over a SPS tank.
They all have their applications. Love most halides.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the radium bulbs are DE, just the 150w was avail in that socket , the mogul based units are still DE bulbs being fired in the tube , which is why you need diff ballasts than your mogul setup , this caused alot of confusion and wasted time and money for hobbyist's, I meant the color , PAR , that I am getting and the lights are the RedSea 90 = Radium 250w and the AI Prime's I use I have dialed in to mimic what I got from the 150w radium setup I had. The orig Prime is an animal !!!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the radium bulbs are DE, just the 150w was avail in that socket , the mogul based units are still DE bulbs being fired in the tube , which is why you need diff ballasts than your mogul setup , this caused alot of confusion and wasted time and money for hobbyist's, I meant the color , PAR , that I am getting and the lights are the RedSea 90 = Radium 250w and the AI Prime's I use I have dialed in to mimic what I got from the 150w radium setup I had. The orig Prime is an animal !!!
You're confused.
DE = double ended, pin type.
SE = single ended, mogul type.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I stated myself clearly , and I've owned them all , the bulb firing inside the "mogul"base units IS a DE only the 150w came without the mogul base in the us ...... I just said this in the above post , either way I will never use them again lolz

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s just unnecessarily worded. Call them HQI bulbs if anything. They still have a single ended socket.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I stated myself clearly , and I've owned them all , the bulb firing inside the "mogul"base units IS a DE only the 150w came without the mogul base in the us ...... I just said this in the above post , either way I will never use them again lolz
Edit: never mind...
But never say never. LOL!

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%

Back