No love for MH?

Would you ever use Metal Halide lighting again?

• Yes I use MH lighting now

Votes: 264 20.5%
  • Yes maybe in the future

Votes: 319 24.7%
  • No I would not

Votes: 679 52.7%
  • Other (please xplain in the thread)

Votes: 27 2.1%

• Total voters

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
03D8497C-4C0A-4E73-A08A-0ED30246999F.jpeg
232E43D4-E585-4003-9739-9730A9E4B5D1.jpeg
58F0BB74-D51C-4662-B05F-A41F7BB8B84B.jpeg
B839F4C3-8912-49D7-A12B-BA94A30D333B.jpeg
81A7EF57-DE63-4171-B44F-421474730966.jpeg
56D5C713-51CA-4E0F-ABF3-8205A1C66735.jpeg
7F3B9B93-BA4B-4610-A0B3-5BE0BBB4A5FC.jpeg
Absolutely Stunning corals!

I do think pics of tanks and corals really bring this discussion to another level.

I wish there was more pics, especially from the other members with the strongest opinions. Those claiming to be lighting experts should actually have success (and proof) with the lighting you suggest is best. IMHO Peer reviewed articles although interesting, do not help anyone know wether you are the lighting expert you claim to be. I’d rather learn from those with experience, practicing the art of keeping a successful reef.

@Lousybreed you certainly have awesome success and I understand why you believe halide is best. Do you use any LED at all for blues or for moonlight or evening viewing. You may have said this somewhere but I missed it.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal Halide users have always been passionate. Like I said look at older post between M80 and Electronic ballast for radium lamps. I am just not sure how much longer lamps will be made since it has been 4 to 5 years since I have seen a commercial project use MH or Fluorescent lighting. But T12's where deemed illegal in 2012, but I still find them in HD. Two things that would make led better, one if Ecotech would give you the settings to match certain MH lamps like 14K or radiums. Too many times reefer turn leds to their liking and not what the coral want.And when they have issues you hear well it was water quality not the leds. I have never worried about that with my lighting whether led or MH/VHO/LED/CFLs. The pictures I posted the filter systems where wet drys with bio balls, and everyone knows how evil bio balls are? Oh wait a minute I still use bio balls with Leds. And what is the deal with a 1 year warranty? All my commercial fixtures come with a 5 to 10.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely Stunning corals!

I do think pics of tanks and corals really bring this discussion to another level.

I wish there was more pics, especially from the other members with the strongest opinions. Those claiming to be lighting experts should actually have success (and proof) with the lighting you suggest is best. IMHO Peer reviewed articles although interesting, do not help anyone know wether you are the lighting expert you claim to be. I’d rather learn from those with experience, practicing the art of keeping a successful reef.

@Lousybreed you certainly have awesome success and I understand why you believe halide is best. Do you use any LED at all for blues or for moonlight or evening viewing. You may have said this somewhere but I missed it.

That’s the core issue with a lot of the lighting debate. You have two schools of thought. On the one hand. You have people who have used what they have used and formed their opinions (I won’t say one way or another, because as I have mentioned, I’m unbiased from an application standpoint because some of the best looking sps tanks I’ve seen have been t5 or led/t5 hybrid tanks). I like metal halide lighting because I feel it to be the most economical choice and to be honest they work really well with zero effort. Set a timer and watch them go.

On the other hand, you have the individuals who are extremely well read and base 100% of their opinions in what research they have performed. I’m pleased to see the research at least is largely of a peer reviewed nature and not hobby blog nonsense.

The problem is these people can never see eye to eye. Because team 1 says “your data can not refute my experience! The proof is in the results!” (Which it is)

And team 2 says “data is data, facts cannot be argued” which is a valid statement.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here we go again...
Years ago I published in one of the threads here on Reef2Reef that I had called LiveAquaria and spoke with them about their light preferences for growing corals. They told me that they take it very seriously and use halides over their propagating tanks and they wouldn't change their halides for LEDs.
People were saying I was lying and so on... I told them to call LiveAquaria, but no one came back apologizing.
Just want to use this video to let you know that they are still taking seriously their coral propagation and using halides to grow their corals.
I'm using this thread to bring this up because it has been updated lately and it is important for us and newbies to start to see things as they should in this hobby.
Not flaming LEDs nor T5s. Please don't come with any "hurting my feelings, this is a hate post" kinda thing. Enough of that! Just laying the facts here.
Enjoy!
@17:25

Edit: Hope WWC could watch this video and change back to halides once for all. It's going to be much better for them. ;)

I know they changed their facility in Rhinelander which is Diverden and aquaculture facility to mainly radions.
I think Kevin has some of his personal tanks run halides and patr of the upstairs where not many are allowed.

I believe in this video he mentions and shows a shot of them on radions and if you watch you can see him point upstairs and see some halides.

I have been to their facility pretty often even thought it has been a while now because Petco took over.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have a nice SPS tank like you all can, I'm sorry.
All I can keep here legally are local zoanthids, besides some small local soft corals and anemones because I live in Hawaii.
I'm passionate about Acros.
One day I'll probably have to move in order to have my dream tank.
I'm so sorry to disappoint you guys. ;Sorry
IMG_5627.JPG

Giesemann Spectra
2 X 250W Hamilton 20K

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can keep here legally are local zoanthids, besides some small local soft corals and anemones because I live in Hawaii.
IMG_5627.JPG

Giesemann Spectra
2 X 250W Hamilton 20K

Fantastic local biotope. I’m curious though, there are laws against keeping acros in captivity In Hawaii?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic local biotope. I’m curious though, there are laws against keeping acros in captivity In Hawaii?
All the fish are from other places, and only the invertebrates are from Hawaii.
Yeah, it's illegal to keep local hard corals at home and it's illegal to import any type of corals to Hawaii.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The "nutritious light" (@9:30) of this 500gal reef is 4 X 400W metal halides 8 hours a day, with 4 Hydras 52s only for the blue supplementation. He had AI Sols at the beginning, but felt that it wasn't just the same as halides, of course.
I hope you enjoy this video.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The "nutritious light" (@9:30) of this 500gal reef is 4 X 400W metal halides 8 hours a day, with 4 Hydras 52s only for the blue supplementation. He had AI Sols at the beginning, but felt that it wasn't just the same as halides, of course.

I was actually going to post that today, I watched it last night. He went from halides to led and back to a combo leds and halides..

Nice colonies and the tank is not over blue.

fredk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Pectinia is absolutely stunning!

PlasmaBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine my head ache , here I am testing Plasma :) I can't find any data apart from some very early growth tests that were limited and skewed. My finds are LPS and zoas grow crazy and some sps, other sps hate it.

I have one sps just about died when I took the plasma away, put the plasma back and it goes deep blue and rockets in growth. Now the crazy part, I had halide in its place, it could be any variable causing this case.

My answer, Hybrid is the "I don't know answer". So it's LED/halide/plasma :) I should get some T5 :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5627.JPG

Giesemann Spectra
2 X 250W Hamilton 20K
Nice!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%

Back