No love for MH?

Would you ever use Metal Halide lighting again?

• Yes I use MH lighting now

Votes: 264 20.5%
  • Yes maybe in the future

Votes: 319 24.7%
  • No I would not

Votes: 679 52.7%
  • Other (please xplain in the thread)

Votes: 27 2.1%

• Total voters

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies. I should concentrate on valuable subjects.
I gotta say, I sincerely appreciate your passion for metal halide lighting. I really do. I've used it myself and really liked it. I'm not ashamed to admit that. It just gets really old really fast. Every LED thread you enter you go on a rampage. Just need to calm it down a bit. Were all here to have fun and discuss. Not to be bantered and argued with. So let's keep it fun :) that's all I ask :)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big MH fan but just because LA uses MH doesn’t prove any point. That isn’t real data that shows MH is better than LED. WWC and Jason Fox are all T-5 and LED and they are doing just fine. Battlecorals uses all lighting platforms too. Compared to LA I would say that WWC is dominating the market for aquaculture raised corals. Is it fair to say that WWC gets paid for their love affair with radions? Yeah. But if they didnt work they wouldn’t use them.
Many are doing "just fine" with LEDs. We hear that all the time.
It is their choices to lit their tanks with whatever they see it's the best way to make a profit for their businesses. We, the consumers, should wish the best for their business so we all grow, of course. I'm not judging anyone here for choosing or applying their fixtures in order to get what they need at home nor for their businesses. Let's get that straight now!
I, and many of us, including professionals, see that metal halides are way better to grow and color corals than any LED. WWC have their own thing going there and the need for those LEDs, believe me! They are good people. I choose to believe that they still actually can't use halides because of the limit they have on electricity for their facility (I actually called them back in 2012 as well and that was the deal!).
I don't like the way the whole picture is painted though. To diminish halides and promote those Radions isn't a good thing. That's the only thing I don't agree.
I wish the best to every one that is into the coral farming business from the bottom of my heart!
Again, I posted that video just to show that back in 2012 they were really using halides to grow corals, like they told me on the phone. That's it.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say, I sincerely appreciate your passion for metal halide lighting. I really do. I've used it myself and really liked it. I'm not ashamed to admit that. It just gets really old really fast. Every LED thread you enter you go on a rampage. Just need to calm it down a bit. Were all here to have fun and discuss. Not to be bantered and argued with. So let's keep it fun :) that's all I ask :)
;Smug

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/3960/metal-halide-lighting?c=3753+3754+3960

No more.. no less.. for the MOST part..
So, no crusade for any light source..

People can pick and chose to read, ignore, or bash my threads on whatever grounds they want.

I only ask they do their own due diligence.

And go where THEY want to go.. not because of person "a" or "b"'s opinion...

Which is impossible when people are whipping one side... ;)

People need facts and history as well..but facts can be evolving all the time..
For that quote statment ... if "coral health ultimately depends on providing the proper lighting intensity." we wouldn't need to worry about UV, IR, Spectrum and other qualities. All bulbs would give the same results as long as we had same wattage for that "proper intensity".
I wonder why they don't just turn off those halides and go LEDs then.
I wonder why!
Perhaps because they actually have their hands wet for so many years and their experience counts?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While a bulb's wattage and spectrum can radically change the visible appearance of your home aquarium, coral health ultimately depends on providing the proper lighting intensity.

You conveniently forgot a part..

Again, and until further evidence to the contrary.. Those were pretty low K Mh's.
How many would run those at home?

business....home.. Kind of different no?

Wonder why they are using full spectrum MH's w/ all that red and yellow?..:)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low Ks? How many Ks?
Business application is certainly different from home applications in many cases. That is true to MHs, in terms of wattage, and to LEDs in terms of intensity/fixture placement.
Full spectrum? Do you know for sure what bulbs and the Ks? I don't.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6500-ish 10000K at best..
Yea an educated guess..
Certainly aren't Radium "blue bulbs".. gee why don't they use those for grow out??

Always more questions than answers.. for those that don't assume they know everything..

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agreed to that!!!!
Many are doing "just fine" with LEDs. We hear that all the time.
It is their choices to lit their tanks with whatever they see it's the best way to make a profit for their businesses. We, the consumers, should wish the best for their business so we all grow, of course. I'm not judging anyone here for choosing or applying their fixtures in order to get what they need at home nor for their businesses. Let's get that straight now!
I, and many of us, including professionals, see that metal halides are way better to grow and color corals than any LED. WWC have their own thing going there and the need for those LEDs, believe me! They are good people. I choose to believe that they still actually can't use halides because of the limit they have on electricity for their facility (I actually called them back in 2012 as well and that was the deal!).
I don't like the way the whole picture is painted though. To diminish halides and promote those Radions isn't a good thing. That's the only thing I don't agree.
I wish the best to every one that is into the coral farming business from the bottom of my heart!
Again, I posted that video just to show that back in 2012 they were really using halides to grow corals, like they told me on the phone. That's it.

I can agree to that! All my sps are under halides.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6500-ish 10000K at best..
Yea an educated guess..
Certainly aren't Radium "blue bulbs".. gee why don't they use those for grow out??

Always more questions than answers.. for those that don't assume they know everything..
Oreo, I don't think you are a bad person.
What is the real reason you come here?
I wish you the best and that you could have your own reef tank running one day.
You would understand much better than you think you know about lighting a reef tank.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DF5590B9-A822-4670-A0C8-6782D32471D2.jpeg
7424015F-015F-43F4-9FD1-358B71A36BF3.jpeg
DF5590B9-A822-4670-A0C8-6782D32471D2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If im not mistaken, AquaSD STILL uses MH

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oreo, I don't think you are a bad person.
What is the real reason you come here?
I wish you the best and that you could have your own reef tank running one day.
You would understand much better than you think you know about lighting a reef tank.
Short version.. Research...
both practically and theoretically I have an interest in photosynthesis..and I'm behind in current "stuff"...
Matter of fact, reasonable priced LED's increased research by an order of magnitude really..
Mr. Riddles name alone brought me here..
These psssing matches on lighting.. well call that a hobby..w/ practical applications..or a study of psychology..

Like I said, I present data as I find it..really no more than that..

when someone says well you can't do that because these are magic.. well not my idea of science BUT I do understand things are different...

Why??

current thought exercise..
6500kmhbuster.JPG

see the green area in the curve.. What the "fresh fish" COB's are lacking vs Ushio 6500k..
(Well we would get back to the UV and IR thingy again wouldn't we.)
nothing $80 worth of hyper violets wouldn't fix..
Spike in "cyan" shouldn't mean "that" much..
no dimming or messing w/ spectrums..

8" x8" grey square.. diodes to scale roughly..
May need fans.. ;)

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short version.. Research...
both practically and theoretically I have an interest in photosynthesis..and I'm behind in current "stuff"...
Matter of fact, reasonable priced LED's increased research by an order of magnitude really..
Mr. Riddles name alone brought me here..
These psssing matches on lighting.. well call that a hobby..w/ practical applications..or a study of psychology..

Like I said, I present data as I find it..really no more than that..

when someone says well you can't do that because these are magic.. well not my idea of science BUT I do understand things are different...

Why??
I was just curious.
Thanks.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now it’s your turn!
Very nice tank, man! What fixture/bulbs and ballasts do you run?
My tank isn't that beautiful!! LOL!
Could you post pictures of your fixture too. And the whole tank?
Nice!!! Thanks very much for sharing the pics!

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other.

Back