No love for MH?

Would you ever use Metal Halide lighting again?

• Yes I use MH lighting now

Votes: 264 20.5%
  • Yes maybe in the future

Votes: 319 24.7%
  • No I would not

Votes: 679 52.7%
  • Other (please xplain in the thread)

Votes: 27 2.1%

• Total voters

TheGreatWave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya there are tons of MH fixtures and ballasts to choose from in the horticultural industry. It would be surprising if there was any equipment that wasn't repurposed from that industry.

The colored bulbs is the thing. The aquarium market is large enough now that they should sell as many bulbs now as they did in the past even with the advent of LED.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again...
Years ago I published in one of the threads here on Reef2Reef that I had called LiveAquaria and spoke with them about their light preferences for growing corals. They told me that they take it very seriously and use halides over their propagating tanks and they wouldn't change their halides for LEDs.
People were saying I was lying and so on... I told them to call LiveAquaria, but no one came back apologizing.
Just want to use this video to let you know that they are still taking seriously their coral propagation and using halides to grow their corals.
I'm using this thread to bring this up because it has been updated lately and it is important for us and newbies to start to see things as they should in this hobby.
Not flaming LEDs nor T5s. Please don't come with any "hurting my feelings, this is a hate post" kinda thing. Enough of that! Just laying the facts here.
Enjoy!
@17:25

Edit: Hope WWC could watch this video and change back to halides once for all. It's going to be much better for them. ;)

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again...
Years ago I published in one of the threads here on Reef2Reef that I had called LiveAquaria and spoke with them about their light preferences for growing corals. They told me that they take it very seriously and use halides over their propagating tanks and they wouldn't change their halides for LEDs.
People were saying I was lying and so on... I told them to call LiveAquaria, but no one came back apologizing.
Just want to use this video to let you know that they are still taking seriously their coral propagation and using halides to grow their corals.
I'm using this thread to bring this up because it has been updated lately and it is important for us and newbies to start to see things as they should in this hobby.
Not flaming LEDs nor T5s. Please don't come with any "hurting my feelings, this is a hate post" kinda thing. Enough of that! Just laying the facts here.
Enjoy!

Which facility is this at? I toured liveaquaria's rhinelander facility twice, the first time they had kessils over all their tanks and the second time they had radions over all their tanks. I wonder if the California facility is different?
This is the tour I took. If you ever get the chance I highly recommend it

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which facility is this at? I toured liveaquaria's rhinelander facility twice, the first time they had kessils over all their tanks and the second time they had radions over all their tanks. I wonder if the California facility is different?
Hi Crabs, remember when I published that years ago when I called them? Now people know I wasn't lying about it. I don't know exactly what facility, but apparently they don't show that to the public too often. Their line of thinking would most likely be one for all facilities. They told me the truth. I told you guys. They never abandoned halides for their propagation tanks. The video shows!
Nice!!!!
;)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again...
Enjoy!

Edit: Hope WWC could watch this video and change back to halides once for all. It's going to be much better for them. ;)

Think those are 6500k or 10000k they’re using there? Any thoughts on the Hamilton 6500k bulb. I know the iwasaki 6500k reef bulb is “discontinued” but you can find the Eye 6500k hortilux bulb all over the place and it looks identical. Hamilton 6500k are pretty affordable though at close to 1/2 the cost of an EYE hortilux

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Crabs, remember when I published that years ago when I called them?
No I'm sorry I didnt read it. I'm not positive what you're referring to. How long ago was this?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think those are 6500k or 10000k they’re using there? Any thoughts on the Hamilton 6500k bulb. I know the iwasaki 6500k reef bulb is “discontinued” but you can find the Eye 6500k hortilux bulb all over the place and it looks identical. Hamilton 6500k are pretty affordable though at close to 1/2 the cost of an EYE hortilux
They look 10K to me, but you know... with all the filters and camera settings available nowadays we can't really tell. The 400W 10Ks will offer plenty growth.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'm sorry I didnt read it. I'm not positive what you're referring to. How long ago was this?
I don't remember exactly when... That was when I called them years ago... Some folks here would probably remember. Doesn't matter. I'm happy to see the video and to share with our friends here.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess we see what we want to see. I see plenty of LED's there..
And lots of 6500k-ish MH's..
livea1.JPG

Go to 18:00

"I'm really proud we can get away from that".. referring to MH's.. ;)

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
livea1.JPG

Go to 18:00

"I'm really proud we can get away from that".. referring to MH's.. ;)

Yeah, you still prefer to ignore the real facts and try to manipulate the post man? That's what they told me long ago when I published! Can't you see the video? What exactly are you trying to do here? We all knew about that video with the LEDs too. They had and still have halides over the coral farm. They have the LEDs with the frags.
Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 6.00.40 PM.png

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tour I took. If you ever get the chance I highly recommend it

Your video tour shows halides too @ 0:12. ;)

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is incorrect.

It was pointed out to you on the other page from Sanjay's papers that a specific 400watt had only 15% more PAR and less UV then a specific 250 watt bulb. Almost twice the wattage with only 15% more light.
Where is the extra energy going? We all know it's wasted heat but I thought it would be interesting to see what you come up with.?

It depends on which ballast and lamp you are using? 250 watt Radium on a M80 ballast is drawing like 330 watts versus a Radium 400 watt on a certain ballast is drawing less than 400 watts and why the increase of Par is so low. I do agree with you there is no need for a 400 watt MH lamp in most cases, because a 250 watt will easily create enough par for most large tanks.
A few years ago I was invited to sit in on what was new and upcoming lighting at the Philips plant in San Marcos, TX. While I was there we took a tour of their assembly plane where workers where assembling LED fixtures. What I found was funny was lighting the building were MH light fixtures. I am sure by now they have been changed out to LED

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you still prefer to ignore the real facts and try to manipulate the post man? That's what they told me long ago when I published! Can't you see the video? What exactly are you trying to do here? We all knew about that video with the LEDs too. They had and still have halides over the coral farm. They have the LEDs with the frags.
i don't know.. Think I've been more "fair and balanced" than most... ;)

I'm on no CRUSADE for LED's just don't like confusing facts with fiction..
Each tech has it's niche..

The thread is no love for MH..which is even harsh for me...;)
Not "No love for MH for SPS or grow out "

livea2.JPG

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't know.. Think I've been more "fair and balanced" than most... ;)

I'm on no CRUSADE for LED's just don't like confusing facts with fiction..
Each tech has it's niche..

The thread is no love for MH..which is even harsh for me...;)
Not "No love for MH for SPS or grow out "

livea2.JPG
I just think you should stop taking attention from the actual facts and subjects.
The videos show what they show. They aren't hiding anything.
Your post comparing them made no sense at all.
We all can see the videos clearly and that's what it is, man.
My post wasn't about " facts and fiction".
It was purely on the facts published by the videos.
We all can see you are trying to get attention. That's not a good attitude and things like that is what make mess in threads of this nature. Mabe you should stick with the facts and forget a little your defensive mechanisms.
It does seems you are in a CRUSADE for LEDs!
You don't even have a reef tank man!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are the preferred lighting option for reef aquariums due to the intense illumination
they provide. When selecting Metal Halide bulbs for their light fixture, many reef hobbyists are preoccupied by the wide variety of wattage and color spectrum or Kelvin rating of these bulbs. While a bulb's wattage and spectrum can radically change the visible appearance of your home aquarium, coral health ultimately depends on providing the proper lighting intensity.

No more.. no less.. for the MOST part..
So, no crusade for any light source..

People can pick and chose to read, ignore, or bash my threads on whatever grounds they want.

I only ask they do their own due diligence.

And go where THEY want to go.. not because of person "a" or "b"'s opinion...

Which is impossible when people are whipping one side... ;)

People need facts and history as well..but facts can be evolving all the time..

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big MH fan but just because LA uses MH doesn’t prove any point. That isn’t real data that shows MH is better than LED. WWC and Jason Fox are all T-5 and LED and they are doing just fine. Battlecorals uses all lighting platforms too. Compared to LA I would say that WWC is dominating the market for aquaculture raised corals. Is it fair to say that WWC gets paid for their love affair with radions? Yeah. But if they didnt work they wouldn’t use them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back