No love for MH?

Would you ever use Metal Halide lighting again?

• Yes I use MH lighting now

Votes: 264 20.5%
  • Yes maybe in the future

Votes: 319 24.7%
  • No I would not

Votes: 679 52.7%
  • Other (please xplain in the thread)

Votes: 27 2.1%

• Total voters

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a MH fixture for years. They run so hot, the electric meter spins, my AC ran much more in the summer and I think they are an increased fire hazard due to the temps they run. Converted to LEDs and will not be changing back. The LED spectrum will only get better over the years.
Today's M/H units are pretty slick when it comes to temperatures and very safe according to me. I've seen plenty of old T5 fixtures which could be labelled as fire hazards as well as some LED fixtures that can be deemed unsafe. Yes I'm defending metal halides, but mostly cause I feel there is so much misinformation out there. And then theres the spectrum debate. Yes, one of these years the LED spectrum might get there.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's M/H units are pretty slick when it comes to temperatures and very safe according to me. I've seen plenty of old T5 fixtures which could be labelled as fire hazards as well as some LED fixtures that can be deemed unsafe. Yes I'm defending metal halides, but mostly cause I feel there is so much misinformation out there. And then theres the spectrum debate. Yes, one of these years the LED spectrum might get there.
I would have to also say the MH fixtures today aren't that hot. You have to heat the water one way or the other. Heater or light will heat it. When I switched from LED to MH my electric bill actually went down.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to also say the MH fixtures today aren't that hot. You have to heat the water one way or the other. Heater or light will heat it. When I switched from LED to MH my electric bill actually went down.
I live in Canada though so I may have different temperature issues as someone who lives in let's say Arizona.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have much to debate there as I am definitely no expert with light spectrums. I was merely re stating what was said from an LED user that basically LEDs, after what, 10 years or more in the hobby, still need improvements spectrum wise. At least that's what I gathered.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have much to debate there as I am definitely no expert with light spectrums. I was merely re stating what was said from an LED user that basically LEDs, after what, 10 years or more in the hobby, still need improvements spectrum wise. At least that's what I gathered.

Unbiased observation here. But while I see this kind of talk mentioned here or there, it seems WAY less prevalent than it used to. I feel like the digitally represented hobbyist base (those active on forums and social media) is dominated (by a large margin) by people who have only ever known leds, and haven’t even SEEN a metal halide in person, outside of street lights. I feel like the hobby has about 99% assimilated itself into the “led is THE reef light”, and no comparisons to other technology are even considered necessary or even something that was once done. Good bad or indifferent, that is what I am observing.

reeffreak911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone loves the leds for this reason and that reason but With Metal Halide being a proven winner over the years why does it seem its a dying breed?

I see a few people swear by them and see great growth as its the closest thing to the sun but I know they do use a lot of power and put off heat compared to leds.

I for one like the look that Mh's give and you mix that with some t-5's and you have a great combo

After getting in and out of this hobby many times over the years, I would like to get a set up going but I really want to go with metal halide and t-5's because I like the look and I know they work good, but my hang up is It will be a very slow process to get enought corals to justify the cost of bulbs and electricity.

With that being said, if just having a few corals to start will it be over kill to use mh/t-5?

I'm still in the shopping phase but my wife said I have to have everything ready before I can bring another tank in the house. I have been know to bring a tank in and let it sit for a few months while getting stuff together or rushing into it and removing and replacing stuff
I use halides as main light t5 and a cheap blue led strip for when the halides turn off tried leds did not like them and didn't notice big difference in electric bill and I keep a cheap little fan blowing over the water to each they're own but watching my tank in blues all the time bothered my eyes and certain corals and fish look better under my 14k phoenix bulb
IMG_20191207_164912_484.jpg

Schweezy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best look and growth I’ve ever had was on a AP12 with 70w MH. I then went to a 140w fixture on a 34 gallon Finnex. Only reason why I don’t currently run one is because I was out of the hobby for about 7 years and when I got back in, LEDs were worth the shot.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unbiased observation here. But while I see this kind of talk mentioned here or there, it seems WAY less prevalent than it used to. I feel like the digitally represented hobbyist base (those active on forums and social media) is dominated (by a large margin) by people who have only ever known leds, and haven’t even SEEN a metal halide in person, outside of street lights. I feel like the hobby has about 99% assimilated itself into the “led is THE reef light”, and no comparisons to other technology are even considered necessary or even something that was once done. Good bad or indifferent, that is what I am observing.
I completely agree. I use metal halides and LEDs, and will defend both of them. I've used T5s before too and love the T5s. In my city though, a million people roughly, we have maybe 5 lfs'. I can't buy a M/H bulb or reflector at any of them, barely any T5s even. Every tank at any of these places is LED and that's what they all sell. It's business, its margins, its lighting for the masses lol.

reeffreak911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there's some type of spectrum that leds haven't been able to replicate I've noticed when buying corals from someone with leds after a couple of days under halides they look ten times happier

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started off all my coral grew very well. Then I got into LED and have spent years on spectrum building. Far too much emphasis is placed on a spectrum that’s easy for LED’s to produce and people without degrees make claims to know that all that other spectrum isn’t necessary. The same thing happened with plants grown with LED’s. When red and blue light was “all you need”. It was very frustrating seeing this. Then it was why green is needed, uv, far red. There was one link to a botanist and biologist with PHD’s who worked at NASA who also specialized in light who explained the action and need of full spectrum but no one found these articles or cared. Just because something can be kept alive doesn’t mean that is all that is needed. Plants are now being hit with uvb to allow the plants to produce the coumpounds they’re missing and to allow them to protect themselves when they are placed outside. To acclimate them to the sun. Coral are no different. Light is not just for photosynthesis and absorption peaks are not representative of anything except absorption peaks. I love LED’s and have many specialized fixtures I’ve made myself. But for my new tank spectrum is not something I’m going to spend $4000 on. I’m just going to use halide.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know halide are old but if anybody is using them currently, what's the latest and greatest pendant/ballast combo? I'm debating running a halide over my 3' 75g during the winter months. I used to really enjoy the light effect and brightness of these lights. My current light is an orphek that needs to be repaired so I might throw on a halide.

reeffreak911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, love that look, awesome.
Reeffreak too, looks great
When I started off all my coral grew very well. Then I got into LED and have spent years on spectrum building. Far too much emphasis is placed on a spectrum that’s easy for LED’s to produce and people without degrees make claims to know that all that other spectrum isn’t necessary. The same thing happened with plants grown with LED’s. When red and blue light was “all you need”. It was very frustrating seeing this. Then it was why green is needed, uv, far red. There was one link to a botanist and biologist with PHD’s who worked at NASA who also specialized in light who explained the action and need of full spectrum but no one found these articles or cared. Just because something can be kept alive doesn’t mean that is all that is needed. Plants are now being hit with uvb to allow the plants to produce the coumpounds they’re missing and to allow them to protect themselves when they are placed outside. To acclimate them to the sun. Coral are no different. Light is not just for photosynthesis and absorption peaks are not representative of anything except absorption peaks. I love LED’s and have many specialized fixtures I’ve made myself. But for my new tank spectrum is not something I’m going to spend $4000 on. I’m just going to use halide.
If I had money to set up two exact tanks with the same corals except one with halides and one with leds to show the difference it would be awesome if someone was to try that out not for a month but for a year or two

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know halide are old but if anybody is using them currently, what's the latest and greatest pendant/ballast combo? I'm debating running a halide over my 3' 75g during the winter months. I used to really enjoy the light effect and brightness of these lights. My current light is an orphek that needs to be repaired so I might throw on a halide.

I'm not saying this combo is the latest or greatest. But I feel it's hard to beat.

20200105_182320.jpg
20200105_182416.jpg
20200105_182508.jpg
20200212_204604.jpg

Hamilton Cayman Sun reflector with m80 ballast and Radium 20k bulb. The light is over a Red Sea Reefer 525xl. It's a 59" long tank. I have a second halide setup on the way;)

Not much as far as coral and fish in this tank, yet. It's not quite 2 months old at this point.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying this combo is the latest or greatest. But I feel it's hard to beat.

20200105_182320.jpg
20200105_182416.jpg
20200105_182508.jpg
20200212_204604.jpg

Hamilton Cayman Sun reflector with m80 ballast and Radium 20k bulb. The light is over a Red Sea Reefer 525xl. It's a 59" long tank. I have a second halide setup on the way;)

Not much as far as coral and fish in this tank, yet. It's not quite 2 months old at this point.
I love my Hamilton Cebu sun as well with 20k radium.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had money to set up two exact tanks with the same corals except one with halides and one with leds to show the difference it would be awesome if someone was to try that out not for a month but for a year or two
I would almost bet that the MH would hold better color, and growth. I although do not have the space for another tank of the same size as my DT to try this.

Turd Ferguson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree. I use metal halides and LEDs, and will defend both of them. I've used T5s before too and love the T5s. In my city though, a million people roughly, we have maybe 5 lfs'. I can't buy a M/H bulb or reflector at any of them, barely any T5s even. Every tank at any of these places is LED and that's what they all sell. It's business, its margins, its lighting for the masses lol.
I found the same in the Toronto area. visited many stores and when you mention MH they look at you as if you’ve two heads and I’ve been told me you can’t buy MH systems . Aside from a small handful of vendors who’ve been in the industry 10+ years,I’ve the impression many retailers have never used halide, and therefore don’t stock or support them. Coming back into the hobby after 12 year break, it’s been a little disappointing.... or maybe I’m just crusty.

The good news, there are a couple online retailers in Canada, JL Aquatics and Reef Supplies that sell an assortment of bulbs and reflectors. They’ll also special order if it’s not in stock.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back