No luck with Possum Wrasses

AZreefer80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, mainly just coming here to vent. I've kept saltwater tanks for a year and a half now and ever since getting into it I have absolutely adored possum wrasses. For the past year and a half I have owned 3 different tanks. One 20 gallon reef, one 10 gallon fowlr and one 40 gallon reef. I have since consolidated the tanks into one single 75g and am thoroughly enjoying only having to maintain my on tank. Enough backstory, on to the wrasses.

I got my very first possum wrasse from a lfs in the phoenix area who special ordered for me. He didn't look incredibly healthy when I initially picked him up but he made the drive home and acclimated just fine into my 10 gallon QT tank. This tank was only freshwater plastic decor, pvc elbows and barebottom. I ran it with an AC30 hob filter and appropriately sized heater. The possum was in there for about 4 days, eating very occasionally before I started dosing prazipro. I was planning on doing TTM to address ick concerns but started with Prazi first as a treatment. I did not dose all at once, it was a gradual ramp up to the designated amount over a 2 day period. He continued to eat for about 2 more days and eventually started to look incredibly sick and had no energy. I immediately did a water change and ran carbon to clear any meds but it was too late. He was dead the next day.

2nd possum wrasse: Heartbroken from my first wrasse death, I cleaned out the QT tank and decided to try my hand at another possum. My 10g at the time had no fish, just snails/hitchhikers with plenty of liverock and sand. I purchased my 2nd wrasse from the same lfs I got the first one from and got him in my 10g tank back home. He looked much healthier than the first one and I was quite pleased with my purchase. He ate pretty readily for about 2 weeks and all seemed to be going great. I was just using this tank as a "QT observation" tank and if any obvious disease popped up I would move him and treat for it. Well about 3 weeks went by and one day he had quite a large white sore/ tear on his side and I moved him into a barebottom QT set up the same as a previous one. I did not start medicating him yet before he died by the next morning. Again, heartbroken.

3rd possum wrasse: my dumbest decision of them all. Frustrated with the results of my previous to possums I made a dumb move. I special ordered a possum wrasse from a different lfs in phoenix. This store QT's all new arrivals for 2 weeks prior to be put out for sale. They contacted me that the wrasse did great through their QT and I could come get it. I picked it up and it didn't look the greatest by the time my drive home was over (2 hours north of phoenix). Because they QT'd it already I stupidly acclimated him straight to my 40 gallon display tank. All was well for about 2-3 weeks, he was eating well and hiding less and less by the day. Until 1 day I notice white spots all over him, and my royal gramma (only fish in there at the time). They both started flashing at the rocks and sand and I removed them and put them in a 10g QT that day. They both did well and continued to eat for 3 days before ending up dead in QT.

After that ordeal I let the 40 stay fallow for roughly 80 days and ended up not adding any other fish ever because I transferred all inverts and rock into my new 75 g.
My new 75g has my 2 occelaris clownfish from the 20, a watchman goby and pistol shrimp along with various other inverts. I would absolutely love my dream possum wrasse in this tank but am honestly scared at what can happen if I get another. I really don't want to kill another possum. Whats my best plan of action if I do get another possum wrasse? Rigorous QT? Observation tank for a long time? I need help R2R!!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried one small one in an established 7-gallon tank (excited like you, to have one). It looked great at the LFS. When I got it home it barely ate, hid more and more, died within a week. I think they may be a deceptively tricky fish to acclimate/keep. Your experience tends to support that.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your Possum experience. Sounds like it is time to try fairy wrasses

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry to hear about your troubles. Based on my limited experience (my sister has one and I have one) my guess is that the ones you purchased were quite stressed/starved. My lfs gets them often and they are always very fat and eat like pigs in the shop. I got one for my sister about 2 years ago and it is doing extremely well. I got one about 3 months ago and it was eating an hour after I got home. Based on this, get fat ones that don't seem to have through a lot.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to get a healthy looking possum that is eating with gusto and immediately treat for internal parasites and flukes using medicated food with focus and general cure
for internal stuff and fenbendazole for flukes. For medicated food try lrf, mysis, pe Calanus. Sustainable aquatics hatchery pellets makes a great pellet a lot of finicky eaters take and that are easy to medicate. I’d use Thomas labs fenbendazole instead of Prazi for flukes. You could also consider a peroxide bath strategy.

I‘d treat for ich and velvet too- either with a combo of tank transfer and peroxide baths or copper for 14 days followed by a transfer to a new qt. 30 days in copper would be my last choice but is possible.

From my limited experience I wouldn’t do FW dips my possum wrasse (who died) hated them and took days to recover (he eventually died of flukes)

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen mysis which they adore as well as frozen fish eggs, calamus and sometimes newly hatched brine shrimp.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept possum wrasses successful, old time word was they don't travel well, the truth is they are almost always afflicted with internal parasites. This is the case today with most fish that pick and nibble around, the state in which they are transported, crowded in with much poop and such, they are going to get internal parasites. Immediately start your method of treatment for internal parasites, do not wait, i am so serious about not waiting a minute. Acclimate, treat, period. If he is eating well; gc+focus in food. The method I used was before I used gc, I dosed prazi pro in the water column and dosed food with seachem metro+focus.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept possum wrasses successful, old time word was they don't travel well, the truth is they are almost always afflicted with internal parasites. This is the case today with most fish that pick and nibble around, the state in which they are transported, crowded in with much poop and such, they are going to get internal parasites. Immediately start your method of treatment for internal parasites, do not wait, i am so serious about not waiting a minute. Acclimate, treat, period. If he is eating well; gc+focus in food. The method I used was before I used gc, I dosed prazi pro in the water column and dosed food with seachem metro+focus.

This reasoning is why I suggest getting fenbendazole- it can also help with internal parasites

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it shouldn’t be this hard. sorry to hear about your challenges. (>__<)’

i first discovered possum wrasses browsing LiveAquaria’s Diver’s Den. i eventually bought 3 yellow-lined & 1 tanaka possum wrasse (different orders). i pretty much just introduced them directly into my 180G DT and they did great (until the medusa sea cucumber nuked my tank). ;Sorry

ditto on feeding frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp and live black worms. i also seed my tank occasionally with AlgaeBarn copepods (i also have mandarins).

you’ll get this! don’t give up! they are beautiful fish.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever it adds, this fish (my P. Wrasse that didn’t make it) was very tiny— it could probably fit on the face of a quarter. :(

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7BD4FF33-18AD-4741-9E0C-DA72AC6D1B31.gif

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things that pop out to me here.

It seems to me that diseases are your biggest issue in each attempt. And knowing how some stores around here (Phoenix) source their fish, some are coming from wholesalers who tend to have the "dirtier" systems.
Moving forward, if you continue to buy from those sources, it would be prudent to assume the new fish has all the common diseases, and to treat for those ASAP in a QT.
This might not have been a contributor, but it's also important to keep tabs on the salinity of the water in the bag when you get a new fish, and to match the salinity of the QT to such. Moving a fish up in salinity quickly can cause issues too.
This store QT's all new arrivals for 2 weeks prior to be put out for sale.
Seems that you've learned this, but 2 weeks is not a sufficient QT. Further, I know of no store around here that actually performs a true QT.
My advice is to get a healthy looking possum that is eating with gusto and immediately treat for internal parasites and flukes using medicated food with focus and general cure
for internal stuff and fenbendazole for flukes. For medicated food try lrf, mysis, pe Calanus. Sustainable aquatics hatchery pellets makes a great pellet a lot of finicky eaters take and that are easy to medicate. I’d use Thomas labs fenbendazole instead of Prazi for flukes. You could also consider a peroxide bath strategy.

I‘d treat for ich and velvet too- either with a combo of tank transfer and peroxide baths or copper for 14 days followed by a transfer to a new qt. 30 days in copper would be my last choice but is possible.

From my limited experience I wouldn’t do FW dips my possum wrasse (who died) hated them and took days to recover (he eventually died of flukes)
Agree with this advice.

The last thing to keep in mind with Wetmorella is that they have a relatively small mouth, and can graze with near constant frequency. Which really just translates to: feed them rather small things, often.

OP
OP
A

AZreefer80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your replies, i very much appreciate it! I will try a possum in the future again and know to look out for a very plump one that is eating with vigor (just need to come across one lol). I will QT of course and will follow the recommendations that many of you gave me.

If I may ask, Evolved, I see your in the phoenix area as well. If you don't mind me asking, where do you get livestock around our area? I will QT everything going into my tank, just want to start with what is seemingly the best quality livestock to start with.

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i first discovered possum wrasses browsing LiveAquaria’s Diver’s Den. i eventually bought 3 yellow-lined & 1 tanaka possum wrasse (different orders). i pretty much just introduced them directly into my 180G DT and they did great (until the medusa sea cucumber nuked my tank). ;Sorry

So you had multiples in the same tank? I tried to add a second to my tank and the original went berserk, chased the new guy relentlessly until the new guy just lay on the bottom of the tank where I was able to net him out and luckily, nurse him back to health. But then I figured you just couldn't keep two in one tank so I sold the second one.

I got both of mine on Diver's Den also and I didn't see any sign of disease in either.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious did you ever try getting a possum wrasse again? I just got one from LFS that was eating Frozen in the tank. From what I’ve been reading this is NOT the fish to QT seeing it survives mainly off eating microorganisms. In a QT there are not any.. it looks like after acclimation my guy has a bad case of ich though! Funny how hard it is sometimes to know what the best move is. after watching this one for the day I don’t think it would be wise at all to put him in a small QT. I think most
Of these are straight from the wild. Never heard anyone breading a possum.

JMann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while I realize but I noticed this thread and just thought I’d share my experience... I have kept all three species of Possum Wrasse and they are definitely one of my favorite aquarium inhabitants. I would suggest prioritizing the quality of care they receive prior to you acquiring them. I have gotten them direct from a reputable wholesaler by way of an online vendor and also from LiveAquaria Divers Den. Every one of them was healthy and ate well right away. I would avoid your LFS for this fish and really in general for fish unfortunately. Buying fish from an LFS adds an extra step and acclimation process where the fish is introduced to an inadequate situation for their health in many ways. Not saying it can’t be done because I’ve done it but, you’re increasing the odds of problems in my opinion. Wetmorella do best with intricate structures to explore and hide in. They’re docile but inquisitive in my experience and very easy to keep if you get quality specimens. Love em!

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while I realize but I noticed this thread and just thought I’d share my experience... I have kept all three species of Possum Wrasse and they are definitely one of my favorite aquarium inhabitants. I would suggest prioritizing the quality of care they receive prior to you acquiring them. I have gotten them direct from a reputable wholesaler by way of an online vendor and also from LiveAquaria Divers Den. Every one of them was healthy and ate well right away. I would avoid your LFS for this fish and really in general for fish unfortunately. Buying fish from an LFS adds an extra step and acclimation process where the fish is introduced to an inadequate situation for their health in many ways. Not saying it can’t be done because I’ve done it but, you’re increasing the odds of problems in my opinion. Wetmorella do best with intricate structures to explore and hide in. They’re docile but inquisitive in my experience and very easy to keep if you get quality specimens. Love em!
Thank you for chiming in! I am also falling in love with them. Your experience and advice seems to support in my head they should not be QT'd and put directly into DT. Dave1993's obersvation also supports this. It would make sense seeing they come from the wild, are used to intricate rock work, and directly feed off this rock work.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back