No more LRS?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed LRS also and probably will maintain using them. It’s cheaper for me to. Unless long periods of food being frozen doesn’t diminish the food. I have a tiny nano and don’t feed enough to freeze a 1/2lb-1lb of food long term without out it going bad (freezer burn) before I can use it.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family finds the smell of LRS putrid. I can’t imagine blending it in the house (I luckily don’t have a working sense of smell, haha).

LRS smells horrible but fish don’t waste a tidbit of it
I just bought 2 packs by me 2 weeks ago
lol not gonna lie I really like the smell for some reason. on multiple occasions I’ve thought about frying up a piece on a pan to try. Still haven’t tried it though hahaha.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip off, no. Premium food. Family business. Fresh. Probiotics.

Can we, the hobbyist, make similar food? Of course. Hit up the local grocery store and pick up various marine offerings of sea food and one is off to a good start. Takes some planning and preparation but possible. Just comes down to personal preference and time.

A rip off would be paying a couple hundred dollars for a 1/4" coral frag with a fabricated name or $1200 for a single head of some LPS torch. Food though in this case you get what you pay for.
Agree 100%. The length people go to save a few bucks but drop $500 on a gold torch. For the convenience, I love LRS. I just stock up whenever my LFS runs a 15-20% sale on frozen.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a fish market you will have better quality. Less process and freezing.

Very true. I probably over generalized so thank you for clarification. I do not eat much sea food so pretty ignorant on sources. Sad part of being high allergic to shellfish :(

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try everything once.

I did it. I bought mussels, oysters, and shrimp.

I tried making the food myself. I did get a decent amount, but the effort, mess, and gruesomeness were not worth this for me.

I have a mild to a moderate phobia of shrimp, and I was bracing for the moment this all would end. Sticky, slimy, and gooey, “Just make this stop!” I said to myself.

Now that I tried this, I can, without a doubt pay for the LRS.

To whoever can do this, kudos to you!

I did not get a picture of it because I wanted OUT! I wrote this passage after coming out of the shower.

Ahh, clean at last!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I made.

ED6A4C22-9AA7-4C5F-AB5E-FF76ACE4AF40.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, my fish seem to enjoy tearing the shrimp apart. This “little bag” might actually last much longer than I anticipated.

Let me see how it goes. Perhaps if it lasts a long time it might justify the effort. I had to shuck a lot of clams, and I had to cut each individual shrimp. Perhaps this process could be less painful with less clams and a food processor.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food processor or a meat grinder make it go sooo much faster

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get LRS if there are none in Miami?

I really want to keep feeding LRS...

Is there an online place that ships LRS?

These guys ship with dry ice. Do not bother with any other vender. Dry ice is superior! Ice packs SUCK!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I made.

ED6A4C22-9AA7-4C5F-AB5E-FF76ACE4AF40.jpeg

I think you should add live black worms next time to get full effect. I am kinda kidding, but not... I just bet it would gross you out more lol A writhing mass of worms in that meat soup.

LRS Fish Frenzy® ingredients:
Fresh Wild Caught Scallop
Fresh Wild Caught, Hand Peeled Shrimp
Fresh Wild Caught Ocean Perch and Whitefish
Premium Piscine Energetics Mysis Shrimp
Squid
Euphausia pacifica krill
Fresh Shucked Clams and Oysters
"Live" California Blackworms added just before freezing
Locally Harvested Marine Fish Eggs
Polychaete Worms
Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids
Buffered Ascorbic Acid
D. salina algae (Beta carotene for color and immunity boost)
LRS Probiotics

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should add live black worms next time to get full effect. I am kinda kidding, but not... I just bet it would gross you out more lol A writhing mass of worms in that meat soup.

LRS Fish Frenzy® ingredients:
Fresh Wild Caught Scallop
Fresh Wild Caught, Hand Peeled Shrimp
Fresh Wild Caught Ocean Perch and Whitefish
Premium Piscine Energetics Mysis Shrimp
Squid
Euphausia pacifica krill
Fresh Shucked Clams and Oysters
"Live" California Blackworms added just before freezing
Locally Harvested Marine Fish Eggs
Polychaete Worms
Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids
Buffered Ascorbic Acid
D. salina algae (Beta carotene for color and immunity boost)
LRS Probiotics
Well, I already culture white worms, and I feed R.O.E separately for my anthias. :)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monterey allows some divers to cull urchins in certain areas to keep their population in check. It helps the kelp forests. Anyway I was going to try and save off some eggs for DIY food but forgot the last time I was out :( Still meaning to give it a go after freezing them.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's messy, you need to fix how you are preparing it. You flash freeze the clams & mussels so they aren't messy or alive. It makes them easy to open later and negates all that slop.

Salmon and sardines are very high in omega 3 and can be bought in cans to just pour into the processor to reduce mess and cost. Make sure salmon is wild caught and there are no other ingredients other than the fish itself, salt or water. Same with sardines.

You need a food processor.......throw everything in, pulse/run slow and pour it in a freezer bag. Then flatten it out on the counter to make it about a 1/4" in height flat pack. It will fill a whole 11x11" bag.

Take something flat to support it and put it in the freezer. I use a cutting board I bought at the Dollar Tree.
---------------
To each his own I guess, but for me, Reef Frenzy and/or Rods is a huge rip off of hundreds of dollars I can use in other areas over a year's time.

I also enjoy fish and shellfish on a weekly basis myself so I always have it on hand.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each his own I guess, but for me, Reef Frenzy and/or Rods is a huge rip off of hundreds of dollars I can use in other areas over a year's time.

Hehe this is how I feel about dry or wet cat and dog food. I make my own raw and it is way cheaper.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's messy, you need to fix how you are preparing it. You flash freeze the clams & mussels so they aren't messy or alive. It makes them easy to open later and negates all that slop.

Salmon and sardines are very high in omega 3 and can be bought in cans to just pour into the processor to reduce mess and cost. Make sure salmon is wild caught and there are no other ingredients other than the fish itself, salt or water. Same with sardines.

You need a food processor.......throw everything in, pulse/run slow and pour it in a freezer bag. Then flatten it out on the counter to make it about a 1/4" in height flat pack. It will fill a whole 11x11" bag.

Take something flat to support it and put it in the freezer. I use a cutting board I bought at the Dollar Tree.
---------------

I also enjoy fish and shellfish on a weekly basis myself so I always have it on hand.
Thank you very much, Ed.

Everything you mentioned, from the soggy, wet clams, to how they close shut when they are alive, was very accurate to my experience.

It’s no wonder I struggled so much! The food processor is coming today, so I look forward to doing it right!

I feel the future is bright with my DIY food journey. Thank you!

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams and shrimp from Whole Foods and regular frozen fare from the LFS (Mysis, Gut Loaded Brine Shrimp, & etc.) seems to work fine. I don't mix them up. I just chop & freeze the clams and shrimp and rotate what I'm feeding & add some Nori occasionally.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, Ed.

Everything you mentioned, from the soggy, wet clams, to how they close shut when they are alive, was very accurate to my experience.

It’s no wonder I struggled so much! The food processor is coming today, so I look forward to doing it right!

I feel the future is bright with my DIY food journey. Thank you!
Food processor or a hand mixer (on my second one) works great.

I use this one!
Screenshot_20221212-094138.png

eanastasio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve fed my nano LRS for about 4 years now. Coral and fish are happy.

If I had a huge tank making my own may make sense. But it’s worth noting. That all frozen and almost all fresh seafood are washed with tripolyphosphate. Larry in a video talks about the only way around it is to buy a bunch straight from the boat and request no phosphate wash. (Plus it can add like 20% weight to uncooked seafood) With over the top filtration this may not matter to you. But for my nano it definitely does. All to say it’s not just about convenience.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve fed my nano LRS for about 4 years now. Coral and fish are happy.

If I had a huge tank making my own may make sense. But it’s worth noting. That all frozen and almost all fresh seafood are washed with tripolyphosphate. Larry in a video talks about the only way around it is to buy a bunch straight from the boat and request no phosphate wash. (Plus it can add like 20% weight to uncooked seafood) With over the top filtration this may not matter to you. But for my nano it definitely does. All to say it’s not just about convenience.

Lame BS scare tactic by LRS. I've been feeding my fish with frozen and raw seafood for 33 years almost exclusively................it's at least 90% of their diet. I seldom buy fish because they live for decades.

This is a non issue. You do know that everyone that has low phosphate in their tanks and dose it to keep corals from dying is a straight form of inorganic phosphate. Corals don't have any trouble absorbing it.

LRS has been around for about 10 years and no one was worried about tripolyphosphate for decades before he sold frozen food but now it's an issue because LRS brings it up. LOL............let's see the proof.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back