No more water changes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
There's very little info or product specs out there on the DP-6. How much are you able to dose in one day? Is there a place where I can find a product sheet on this? Thank you.

Thank you for your question! I noticed we accidently left out the "Set Points" in our product description (adding now!) which state you can dose up to 24 times per day per channel. I sent a request to find out the maximum dosage you can program so you can figure out how much you are able to dose each day. I will follow up once I have an answer!

Jeff @ Marine Depot

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I wish I could trust these tests though...after sending my water to three different test places my params were so different between the three I could never trust dosing my tank based off potentially incorrect results.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
I wish I could trust these tests though...after sending my water to three different test places my params were so different between the three I could never trust dosing my tank based off potentially incorrect results.

Who did you send tests to? What were the results? Which test kits do you use at home? How did the mail-in services compare to your own testing? When you are calculating how much to supplement your tank, which results are you relying on for your decision-making?

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
There's very little info or product specs out there on the DP-6. How much are you able to dose in one day? Is there a place where I can find a product sheet on this? Thank you.

We just heard back. Each channel can dose up to 9999ml (~2.64 gallons) per day, although we've been advised the system is not really designed to perform water changes or move large volumes of water. Hope that helps!

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Who did you send tests to? What were the results? Which test kits do you use at home? How did the mail-in services compare to your own testing? When you are calculating how much to supplement your tank, which results are you relying on for your decision-making?

Triton, Aquamedic, and a semi-local water testing lab suggested by my LFS.

My test kits showed nitrates at 2, aquamedic said 25
One said alk is 10, the other said it was 7.5, another said 9
All different numbers for Potassium too...hard to tell if i'm low vs high

I don't mind so much not knowing nutrients but if i'm going to be dosing Iron, K, Iodine, etc i'd like to know it's accurate first. Based on my experience one facility claims I was high vs another that said i'm low!

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Triton, Aquamedic, and a semi-local water testing lab suggested by my LFS.

My test kits showed nitrates at 2, aquamedic said 25
One said alk is 10, the other said it was 7.5, another said 9
All different numbers for Potassium too...hard to tell if i'm low vs high

I don't mind so much not knowing nutrients but if i'm going to be dosing Iron, K, Iodine, etc i'd like to know it's accurate first. Based on my experience one facility claims I was high vs another that said i'm low!

Thank you for sharing. We are actually conducting our own testing now so it will be interesting to see the results we get back!

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. We are actually conducting our own testing now so it will be interesting to see the results we get back!

I purchased my aquamedic kits through you all, are you saying you have your own service? Or are you running a test against all the services?

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
I purchased my aquamedic kits through you all, are you saying you have your own service? Or are you running a test against all the services?

We do not offer an in-house service. We just thought that since there's several commercially available water testing services now we should try them out to compare. We don't have results to share yet.

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
4 Months here with ATI Essentials and no water changes. The system is very happy and no issues. :)
That’s awesome to hear! I currently have a Bubble Magus doser that has only three pumps. Will I be able to dose the 3 essentials and just dose by hand any of the other elements I might need or will I have to have more pumps? I’m really thinking of taking the leap and I’m just trying to learn more from someone who is currently using the system. Thanks!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
4 Months here with ATI Essentials and no water changes. The system is very happy and no issues. :)

I know you’re only a few months in with a relatively young Reefer 250, but how much of each element are you currently dosing per day? I’m building a similarly sized tank, a Deep Blue 57 and am trying to decide between going with ATI Essentials or a calcium reactor for what will eventually be an all acro tank.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Any updates? I’m really intrigued.....

Hello @Niterunner77 and thanks for following up. We did one round of testing with Triton, ATI, and the Aqua Medic AWT with water from the same aquarium. After seeing all of the results side by side, I want to continue with a few more months of testing to see if we can pinpoint any variances that really stick out. I did expect to see variances and really the only alarming differences are within the trace elements levels provided by ATI and Triton. The major elements of calcium, carbonate hardness and magnesium showed very minimal differences.

I am curious to see if these same trace element parameters come up different every single time and to see how the major elements results come back over a longer period of time.

Thanks again for participating here and we are working this into our video schedule for 2018 so be sure to stay tuned!

-Robert @ MD

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back