No power for 10-12+ hours

arkodios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am out of town and I will be until Wednesday. I have a Waterbox Cube 20 with an AI Prime 16HD, currently stocked with a Pistol Shrimp, Yellow Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, Clown Goby, 10 Trochus Snail, and 4 Blue-Leg Hermit Crabs, as well as Clove Polyps, a Kenya Tree, Blastomussas, and branching GSP. Everything has been going good with the tank but my mom is having electric work done at the house and power will be out all of today. I wasn’t aware of this before leaving on the trip so I literally have no preparations for this, and on top of that, my mom does not know anything about tanks. Anyways, she is asking the electric guy if he can stir the tank water around every hour or so to keep the water circulated (I heard this helps with oxygenation).

Aside from this, I have my friend (no knowledge on aquariums) coming over to the house tomorrow to check on the tank and remove any potential dead fish. He will also check on the light to make sure it’s back on. My main questions are:
1. Do you guys think my tank will be okay?
2. Will the light reprogram itself after it gets power, or will it require someone to connect to it and redo the schedule?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my, you are going to lose heat also. Can your mom wrap the tank in a blanket? Does your lfs have a battery back up bubbler? Maybe she can go buy one?
I'm not familiar with that light but generally most lights turn back on where they should be in the schedule.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank went 12 hours with the airstone and my powerheads on battery back up. You can probably get by with just the airstone

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t rely on an electrician coming to do electric work to stir the tank water. I would call my LFS and see if they can send someone to help, and pay for that service, or call my vet and see if they know of anyone who is knowledgeable about saltwater tanks who could come over to help. I got my cat sitter doing that b/c she works there.

Do you have any backup? Like at least one of those battery powered bubblers that someone could add for you?

Edit: Are you out of town right now, or just will be when this happens?

OP
OP
A

arkodios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t rely on an electrician coming to do electric work to stir the tank water. I would call my LFS and see if they can send someone to help, and pay for that service, or call my vet and see if they know of anyone who is knowledgeable about saltwater tanks who could come over to help. I got my cat sitter doing that b/c she works there.

Do you have any backup? Like at least one of those battery powered bubblers that someone could add for you?

Edit: Are you out of town right now, or just will be when this happens?
I am out of town right now, it is also happening as we speak. Funny enough I work at my LFS, I know I could ask one of my coworkers to come over and help but the only two I have phone numbers, one of them is also out of town (it’s spring break in South FL) and the other is sick. I can try asking anyways.

I have a battery-powered pump but no one besides the electrician is home and I don’t think anyone I know besides my coworkers could even set it up right. All in all this is really frustrating because everything can go really wrong and I cannot do anything about it on my own

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing Walmart or bait store will have a battery operated air pump. I would 100% use one.

edit i didn’t see your previous reply

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am out of town right now, it is also happening as we speak. Funny enough I work at my LFS, I know I could ask one of my coworkers to come over and help but the only two I have phone numbers, one of them is also out of town (it’s spring break in South FL) and the other is sick. I can try asking anyways.

I have a battery-powered pump but no one besides the electrician is home and I don’t think anyone I know besides my coworkers could even set it up right. All in all this is really frustrating because everything can go really wrong and I cannot do anything about it on my own
Do you have a good enough relationship w/the store owner or management to call them and ask for help? They may be able to broaden your network of ppl w/knowledge who can stop by and get the bubbler set up, etc.

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I have lost power for 5 days before on a 180 gallon in the winter temps dropped to 60 in the tank. Most fish survive lost the cardinals though. All soft corals died. I’m not sure where you are located but if temp is not a problem I would guess you will be ok.

OP
OP
A

arkodios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a good enough relationship w/the store owner or management to call them and ask for help? They may be able to broaden your network of ppl w/knowledge who can stop by and get the bubbler set up, etc.
We are a pretty tight-knit store but I know that the owner/my boss does not like being contacted on her days off. We are pretty understaffed, especially on weekends, so I really don’t think they can send anyone to help. But actually, I can ask for the service company’s leader’s phone number, we have a good relationship and I think he could help.

Oh my, you are going to lose heat also. Can your mom wrap the tank in a blanket? Does your lfs have a battery back up bubbler? Maybe she can go buy one?
I'm not familiar with that light but generally most lights turn back on where they should be in the schedule.

I wasn’t sure if I should keep the heat up because I know higher temperature = more oxygen usage and the water also holds less oxygen. Our ambient temperatures are also pretty warm (80-90°F (26.5-32°C) from March-November), so I’m not too worried about heat loss, not as much as I am about oxygenation

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are a pretty tight-knit store but I know that the owner/my boss does not like being contacted on her days off. We are pretty understaffed, especially on weekends, so I really don’t think they can send anyone to help. But actually, I can ask for the service company’s leader’s phone number, we have a good relationship and I think he could help.

I wasn’t sure if I should keep the heat up because I know higher temperature = more oxygen usage and the water also holds less oxygen. Our ambient temperatures are also pretty warm (80-90°F (26.5-32°C) from March-November), so I’m not too worried about heat loss, not as much as I am about oxygenation
Yeah, just anyone who can help and knows what they’re doing. Sounds like if you can get the bubbler in there you should be okay, and then you have your friend who can make sure everything comes back on when the power is turned back on. Worst case is the friend avail to put the bubbler in right away if you walk them through what to do?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am out of town and I will be until Wednesday. I have a Waterbox Cube 20 with an AI Prime 16HD, currently stocked with a Pistol Shrimp, Yellow Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, Clown Goby, 10 Trochus Snail, and 4 Blue-Leg Hermit Crabs, as well as Clove Polyps, a Kenya Tree, Blastomussas, and branching GSP. Everything has been going good with the tank but my mom is having electric work done at the house and power will be out all of today. I wasn’t aware of this before leaving on the trip so I literally have no preparations for this, and on top of that, my mom does not know anything about tanks. Anyways, she is asking the electric guy if he can stir the tank water around every hour or so to keep the water circulated (I heard this helps with oxygenation).

Aside from this, I have my friend (no knowledge on aquariums) coming over to the house tomorrow to check on the tank and remove any potential dead fish. He will also check on the light to make sure it’s back on. My main questions are:
1. Do you guys think my tank will be okay?
2. Will the light reprogram itself after it gets power, or will it require someone to connect to it and redo the schedule?
Keep tank temperature as controlled as best as you can. heat packs taped to glass. Walmart sells battery powered air pumps with an airstone. That will keep water moving and oxygen levels stable/
When power resumes- perform water change. Feed VERY LITTLE or none right now to keep ammonia down. Fish can go a few dats without food

OP
OP
A

arkodios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, just anyone who can help and knows what they’re doing. Sounds like if you can get the bubbler in there you should be okay, and then you have your friend who can make sure everything comes back on when the power is turned back on. Worst case is the friend avail to put the bubbler in right away if you walk them through what to do?
Alright the service guy (Mark) said he is also out of town but if I can get someone to drop about a teaspoon/teaspoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide from a foot above the tank it should provide enough oxygen for about 12 hours. Sounds like the best worst-case scenario since I don’t know if my friend will be able to install the pump

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back