No space for sump... Canister Filter?

HookedReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Recently received a 30 gallon breeder, but I don't have enough space for a sump... Has anyone had experience with canister filters? If it'll negetively impact my tank I may just build a stand to fit a sump as well, but that is a last ditch effort

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are sumpless options available. Just search 'sumpless" or 'HOB Filter' or 'canister filter' etc. Lots of info on here.

OP
OP
HookedReefing

HookedReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There are sumpless options available. Just search 'sumpless" or 'HOB Filter' or 'canister filter' etc. Lots of info on here.
I know they exist, but I've only used them for freshwater planted tanks. I'm curious if it's worth the time and huge expense of the sump(i.e. drilling or getting an HOB for plumbing)

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you want to keep? That might help folks with experience give you a better answer - filtration is dependent on live stock much more than on the size of your box.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, basically a sump gives you a place to put equipment. If you don't have room for one, you can run your tank a different way. With a canister, HOB, intank overflow, lots of options. What works for you, only you can say. Research is half the fun :)

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy yourself a Fluval FX4, or if you have the space an FX6.
They work great, easy to maintain, easy water changes, quietest units available I have to feel mine or look at the water jets to actually know if it's on.
Setup as you want, using bio-balls, filter floss, some of the course media that comes with it, add carbon, add just about anything you would like.

Worth the purchase of you can't get or don't want to use a sump right now.

I find HOB filters are crappy, and just don't turn the water over enough and get built up with tons of junk.

I also use an AquaMaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer, it's amazing.

OP
OP
HookedReefing

HookedReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
what do you want to keep? That might help folks with experience give you a better answer - filtration is dependent on live stock much more than on the size of your box.
I have other tanks that are all in one systems. I plan on stocking it with some the usual managerie of inverts, fish, and coral.
So snails, hermits, emerald crabs, coral. I am still undecided about the fish though.

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a fish only with canister filter that is just fine. I ran one for 10+ years and never had an issue. However I had a 100g tank. For 30g you should probably have a water change regimen. If you plan to add corals it's still doable, but you may need to plumb extra lines for bio export and nutrient import.

OP
OP
HookedReefing

HookedReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For a fish only with canister filter that is just fine. I ran one for 10+ years and never had an issue. However I had a 100g tank. For 30g you should probably have a water change regimen. If you plan to add corals it's still doable, but you may need to plumb extra lines for bio export and nutrient import.
Might just try to fit a sump in the stand...

ReeferMaddne$$

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Fluval G3 canister on a reef tank for 7 years. I just ran the water polisher and filled it with bio balls and occasionally, carbon.

I had success with it overall but had to experiment with water changes.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently received a 30 gallon breeder, but I don't have enough space for a sump... Has anyone had experience with canister filters? If it'll negetively impact my tank I may just build a stand to fit a sump as well, but that is a last ditch effort
Almost been up and running 5 years with just a external pump and skimmer.
20201226_233803.jpg

OP
OP
HookedReefing

HookedReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Canisters are fine if you just use it for carbon dosing and filter pads. Anything more than that and IMO it becomes a nitrate city

i run one of my reef tank,
Thanks for the reply! I have decided to build a stand to fit a sump for the 30 gallon! Your input is very appreciated.(love the pfp by the way)

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 55g with an fx6 for a couple of years. I jammed it full of live rock and removed all foam pads. Essentially I gutted all of the traditionally freshwater filter items.
worked really well until I upgraded DT and went to a sump.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an Oase Thermo 350 for a year now on my 50 gallon tank along with a Aquamaxx 1.5. The tank is a corner tank and their isn't a way that I could make a sump work. The filter is plumbed off a exterior overflow box i.e. no hoses or heater in the tank. The Oase has a built in prefilter that is very easy to remove and clean as well as a built in heater. This filter has been trouble free. That said, I only use the pre filter sponges on this filter. The other 4 trays in the filter I use for Phosgard, carbon, purigen, Chemi-pure blue depending on tank condition. When I first started the tank I had two of the trays filled with Bio Home Ultimate but after the tank was well established I removed the media.

Once a month or so I clean the interior of the filter and replace whatever I'm using. I clean out the pre-filter foam about once a week. I have a larger tank coming in a few weeks and I will put a conventional sump under that tank. But the canister filter still has usefulness for use of chemi pure, carbon etc.

I

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back