No sump ATO

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am starting a a simple 20 gallon long reef tank (dimension are 30x12x12) and I would like to have an ATO. I have looked at quite a few ATO systems, but with no sump I'm wondering if I could add one? If I add the sensor to the tank will surface agitation mess with the sensor causing it to always stop and start?

I appreciate any and all information!

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but as you point out surface agitation can be an issue. If you haven't yet purchased the tank I might suggest looking at one with a lid (EVO) to cut down on evaporation or an AIO with sump at the rear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a wave guard for the sensor out of a plastic cup/tube that would cut the waves out of the readings. I did one a few years back on a 30 with no sump. Works just fine.
I never even though of that! Just leave the bottom open but "protect" the surrounding area of the sensor?

Upvote 0

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am starting a a simple 20 gallon long reef tank (dimension are 30x12x12) and I would like to have an ATO. I have looked at quite a few ATO systems, but with no sump I'm wondering if I could add one? If I add the sensor to the tank will surface agitation mess with the sensor causing it to always stop and start?

I appreciate any and all information!
I'm running a 20L as a fish QT and the ReefBreeder's EXO has worked fine for me for two months+ (see photos). There's a small powerhead a cross from the sensor plus an HOB filter, so there is some surface water agitation. I have to reset the occasional error with a power cycle, but I've never even cleaned the lens. I do tend to forget to turn it off on water changes until I hear it running. I've no connection to ReefBreeder's, just using their stuff. Ignore the clutter and the crude, homemade stand; it's in my shop.

ATO.jpg

ATO2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 20L as a fish QT and the ReefBreeder's EXO has worked fine for me for two months+ (see photos). There's a small powerhead a cross from the sensor plus an HOB filter, so there is some surface water agitation. I have to reset the occasional error with a power cycle, but I've never even cleaned the lens. I do tend to forget to turn it off on water changes until I hear it running. I've no connection to ReefBreeder's, just using their stuff. Ignore the clutter and the crude, homemade stand; it's in my shop.

ATO.jpg

ATO2.jpg
I really do appreciate the information and the pictures! The ReefBreeder's EXO was actually one of the many I was looking at. I'm glad to know it works even with some surface agitation.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no back chambers either?

The surface movement is not normally in waves so not that extreme, there will also be a part of the surface that hardly moves, so you maybe ok with an ATO.

Some ATO’s come with wave protection, I know Reefloat from the UK does, it works by only triggering a fill if the sensor is not in contact with water for more than 3 seconds I think it is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no back chambers either?

The surface movement is not normally in waves so not that extreme, there will also be a part of the surface that hardly moves, so you maybe ok with an ATO.

Some ATO’s come with wave protection, I know Reefloat from the UK does, it works by only triggering a fill if the sensor is not in contact with water for more than 3 seconds I think it is.
No, I do not have any back chambers. It's a standard 20 gallon long from. Yeah - I believe I'm over exaggerating, in my head, how extreme the surface agitation will be.

Upvote 0

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine without a sump. I am running a tunze ato on a sumpless 25g cube. I have no issues with my ATO. My salinity has been stable. The surface agitation isn't nearly enough to trigger the switch.

For sumpless tanks, one thing I would be on a lookout for is surface skimming. Make sure you have some method of skimming the surface so it doesn't get nasty. I had to add a small surface skimmer to my setup.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine without a sump. I am running a tunze ato on a sumpless 25g cube. I have no issues with my ATO. My salinity has been stable. The surface agitation isn't nearly enough to trigger the switch.

For sumpless tanks, one thing I would be on a lookout for is surface skimming. Make sure you have some method of skimming the surface so it doesn't get nasty. I had to add a small surface skimmer to my setup.
The Tidal 55 has a "surface skimmer" I know it is not an actual surface skimmer but it will suffice for now until I feel the need to get one. I've looked at the Tunze ATO 3152 as a potential system.

Upvote 0

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a wave guard for the sensor out of a plastic cup/tube that would cut the waves out of the readings. I did one a few years back on a 30 with no sump. Works just fine.
Are you saying something like taking a 4in pvc pipe piece cutting it in half and then gluing it to side of the tank half in and half out of the water. Then the sensor would get mounted in there?

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back