NOAA seeks input on its Draft Aquaculture Strategic Plan

Aquarium Fisheries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep Talking! While diversifying and improving the seafood supply is a necessary goal for our ever-growing U.S. population, NOAA's Draft Aquaculture Strategic Plan is otherwise silent on the aquaculture of aquatic organisms that produce medicines and other healthcare products, cosmetics, biofuel, jewelry, and YES, aquarium fish and invertebrates, all of which benefit our society. These non-food items play important roles in fueling and positioning the U.S. economy favorably in the global market. Learn about NOAA's plan and submit your comments in one of several upcoming listening sessions. The future of the sustainable marine aquarium trade depends on your voice!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul Anderson could you please expand on this topic a bit?

I think it would be helpful for us to understand NOAA's current role and how their continued involvement can bring about desirable outcomes for the hobby.

I know that the three public forums will in theory address some of this, but it looks like comments may need to be submitted in advance (?) and for that reason it could help if you would elaborate on where we as marine aquarium keepers can have the most impact in this discussion.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Aquarium Fisheries

Aquarium Fisheries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the deal gang: Aquaculture of marine aquarium fishes is still in its infancy: Out of ~2,000 fish species in the trade, only about 4-5% are commercially available as aquacultured. We have only scratched the surface.

While many of these fish species are available through wild capture and resilient to fishing pressure, there are quite a few that are vulnerable to overfishing, for which aquaculture can provide a sustainable alternative by offering desired species while leaving the same important species on coral reefs to play the valuable roles that they play in coral reef ecosystems.

But aquaculture companies can't go it alone. As anyone who has bred marine fish knows, the practice is technically complex and expensive. Commercial aquaculturists in the U.S. (~49 by our last count) and around the world are dependent on the research and development work of the Coral Reef Aquarium Fisheries Campaign, Rising Tide Conservation, and others to help bring more vulnerable species into commercial aquaculture production. And these organizations depend on funding from the federal government--e.g., NOAA's Aquaculture Program--to bring successful aquaculture production protocols to the industry.

But the government needs to hear from its stakeholders to act accordingly. They need to hear from us. So click on the link today, sign up for a session, and speak your voice!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back