Noisy Drain in Sump

DarrenCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is water test day to check for leaks. I am happy to say we are all water tight! This brings me to another issue though. Where the water drains into the sump is very noisy. There appears to be a lot of air bubbles as well so I am guessing its a venting solution. I am going to absolutely get this thing quiet or wife says "No Way!" My drain is about 1.5 inches under the water where it drains into the sump. Pictures to help with what I am speaking about.
Please any suggestions would be awesome!

Plumb 1.jpg

Plumb 2.jpg

Plumb 3.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the nature of the drain. You might try to lower the drain line further under the water. Just be aware that it cannot extend so far that back-pressure is created. That should help. Also, I would clamp the flexible return line at the barbed elbow. Keep us posted.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is water test day to check for leaks. I am happy to say we are all water tight! This brings me to another issue though. Where the water drains into the sump is very noisy. There appears to be a lot of air bubbles as well so I am guessing its a venting solution. I am going to absolutely get this thing quiet or wife says "No Way!" My drain is about 1.5 inches under the water where it drains into the sump. Pictures to help with what I am speaking about.

Plumb 1.jpg

Plumb 2.jpg

Plumb 3.jpg
This is my solution, made it almost silent and traps over 90% of the bubbles while still allowing full flow from the drain

20190406_232417.jpg

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be that the drain is only 1”, I would maybe add an adapter after the union that is 1” by 1.5”. This noise could be caused by the return pump being to strong for rate that drain is draining, causing it to gurgle, or make noise at the end of the drain. I have this same issue with my 1” drain, but my tank is in my work out room, and I run a DC pump, which allows me to turn down the flow enough to make almost silent. Good luck

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Plumb 1.jpg

Plumb 2.jpg

Plumb 3.jpg
Try sponges. They fix everything. I used them to quiet down overflow. Just attach one under the drain

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my solution, made it almost silent and traps over 90% of the bubbles while still allowing full flow from the drain

20190406_232417.jpg
Innovative and I think that will work for him!

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't quite see from the picture, does the vertical pipe on the left has a vent hole in it? If so that should work, just need some way to vent air into the drain above water level. Google for "reverse durso", there are some good pictures out there.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't quite see from the picture, does the vertical pipe on the left has a vent hole in it? If so that should work, just need some way to vent air into the drain above water level. Google for "reverse durso", there are some good pictures out there.
It does, I drilled a hole in the cap and stuck a peice of 3/8" vinyl tubing in to mimic the silencer that's on my skimmer, it worked amazingly well. The only other thing you can't tell from the pic is that I ground out the stop in the bushing at the top with a dremel so the 1" pipe passes through it and is still below the water level

Last edited:

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reverse durso does look like it works very much like my contraption, it would have been a lot less work to figure out if I would have found that before lol

OP
OP
DarrenCar

DarrenCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190406_232417.jpg
Any chance you have further explanation or pics on assembly of this? I tried several reverse durso configurations last evening and not much luck getting it quieter. I have my variable speed pump turned ALL the way down on its lowest setting too and now that worries me if I will even have enough flow through sump.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you have further explanation or pics on assembly of this? I tried several reverse durso configurations last evening and not much luck getting it quieter. I have my variable speed pump turned ALL the way down on its lowest setting too and now that worries me if I will even have enough flow through sump.
When I get home this evening I'll try to get a better explanation together for you

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here it is, I made a drawing to describe what I did, hopefully it makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

20190408_204052.jpg

OP
OP
DarrenCar

DarrenCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I came up with given the fitting's and pipe that I had at the house. It has made a huge difference in making it much quieter but I still hear some faint bubble bursting action. Possibly I am wishing for a golden throne with the system I have to expect it any quieter? I planned on using a filter sock so I guess I can just attach it to the outlet somehow instead of using a hanging bracket. I am also concerned about water flow. I am using Hydor SELTZ D Pump 1600 gph Controllable Universal Pump that is running on its lowest possible setting. If I turn it up any higher it starts to make the gurgling noise again. I can deal with this sometimes but not at night. Maybe I just run it higher during the day and turn it down at night. I am estimating my flow rate to be somewhere around 250 GPH from the pump @ about 6 foot head pressure.
Any more info or suggestions of the return pump flow would be awesome. I thank you all for what you have advised because it has literally saved my wife from scratching the project because of the noise.

Plumb 4.jpg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI, the durso drains included in marineland and aqueon overflow system are only rated for 700gph. This makes it very easy to over power the drain the a return pump

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DarrenCar If you can make it fit, it might help to put a tee right at the end, so the short side outlet is right at the waterline.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, short side under water line over or halfway?
Halfway. I've done it in the past and it helps, but never tried at the same time as using the reverse durso venting, so not sure if it will help but worth a try.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back