NOISY overflow - please help

Muse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a total nightmare with this new tank. It's a Boyu tank and overflow, it has 4 pipes to the sump:

1. Drain valve (for water changes)
2. Return to tank from sump pump
3. Emergency overflow
4. Main drain to sump

When I start the return pump if I fiddle with the main drain pipe valve I can get the diaplay tank water level between the drain and emergency overflow, but the pipes still causing a vortex and sucking air like crazy, I can't stand noise on tanks...

Thanks
IMG_20210123_235543.jpg

IMG_20210123_235340.jpg

IMG_20210123_235456.jpg

IMG_20210123_235519.jpg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have is essentially a herbie style . The second drain is not an emergency, and the main drain designed to be full siphon.
Watch a vid on how to adjust herbie style drain

OP
OP
M

Muse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally confused sorry! So pipe 4 should be fully siphoned using the valve on it? And water should also come down pipe 1 (water change pipe I referred to?) thanks for commenting guys

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally confused sorry! So pipe 4 should be fully siphoned using the valve on it? And water should also come down pipe 1 (water change pipe I referred to?) thanks for commenting guys
Drain valve should be off/closed unless you’re draining tank for water change or whatever.
The drain with valve gets closed until the other drain (that says overflow outlet in your pic) is taking in water about halfway, an elbow on top of this (secondary) pipe helps
The water from overflow box should be a half inch lower than tank water, and the height of the secondary determines this. As long as the primary/full siphon drain with valve is a couple of inches and not sucking in air it will be quiet.
It takes a minute or three to purge air from full siphon , then it will be steady and strong, adjust from there

Last edited:

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the other suggestions don't work, try removing the standpipe on the main drain. This will most likely eliminate any sucking/gurgling noise with a full siphon.

OP
OP
M

Muse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! The problem with this setup is the overflow can take in tank water from vents at the sand level in the bottom of the tank! What a stupid design?? Therefore the display tank and weir will always be the same level! (see photo)

I've tweaked the valve but the watere ventually reaches the emergency drain after a few minutes or if I open it a little bit too much it starts chugging air in a whirlpool... No sweet spot.. I don't know what to do.
IMG_20210124_020513.jpg

Last edited:

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t matter if the box has a hole in the bottom to set the height with valve to allow it to run halfway down the secondary, which is not the “emergency” on your herbie style plumbing.

OP
OP
M

Muse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to thank everyone who took time to comment on my post. I see a lot of forum questions answered with no response from the OP.

Thanks I've now solved the problem

I slightly extended the emergency drain to allow a greater tolerance to play with. The main line is now in full siphon with hardly any noise. I think my outflow pipe joins are allowing air to seep inwards. This will be easily fixed with silicone applied externally.

Thanks again

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back