Noisy Pump

ReefWelder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of a 40g breeder build with a 20g long sump. I am having a lot of rattling coming from my return pump. It sits on suction cups on the bottom and it isolated with soft plumbing from the pump outlet to the hard plumbing. The pump is a AQUATOP MaxFlow swp-1300 and has a output of 343gph with zero head pressure. I have roughly 3 1/2' of head pressure so the pump puts out roughly 290gph. The pumbing from the pump is 3/4" and I am running 3/4" plumbing up 3 feet and then splits into two 1/2" return nozzles. Does anyone have any recommendations to quiet things down or should I invest in a larger pump?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of a 40g breeder build with a 20g long sump. I am having a lot of rattling coming from my return pump. It sits on suction cups on the bottom and it isolated with soft plumbing from the pump outlet to the hard plumbing. The pump is a AQUATOP MaxFlow swp-1300 and has a output of 343gph with zero head pressure. I have roughly 3 1/2' of head pressure so the pump puts out roughly 290gph. The pumbing from the pump is 3/4" and I am running 3/4" plumbing up 3 feet and then splits into two 1/2" return nozzles. Does anyone have any recommendations to quiet things down or should I invest in a larger pump?
If you stick your hand in sump and lift or move around pump does noise change or go away ? If it does this means noise is from a vibration if it does not change then noise is from inside pump most likely

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people should get a nice cheap DC adjustable return pump. They pay for themselves in AC bill savings after a year. All my Jebao dc pumps run perfect and are low wattage, my dcp 10000 runs only a few more watts then that AC pump you have. You could get away with a small dcp pump and be dead silent. cheap AC pumps like that make a ton of noise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people should get a nice cheap DC adjustable return pump. They pay for themselves in AC bill savings after a year. All my Jebao dc pumps run perfect and are low wattage, my dcp 10000 runs only a few more watts then that AC pump you have. You could get away with a small dcp pump and be dead silent. cheap AC pumps like that make a ton of noise
Exactly this! return pumps have gotten so good over the past decade that even a cheap DC pump is better than most expensive AC pumps imo

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly this! return pumps have gotten so good over the past decade that even a cheap DC pump is better than most expensive AC pumps imo
Unless your talking about head pressure with tank and sump on different floors of house then most dc pumps not so great

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your talking about head pressure with tank and sump on different floors of house then most dc pumps not so great
Wrong my friend. I retired my Iwakis to mixing station duty. DC pumps for a long time have had great head pressure. my dcp 10000 has 18' which is more then enough for my basement sump. I have to run it at 45% and it uses 50 Watts which is amazing for a pump that runs 24/7

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a cheap DC pump is better than most expensive AC pumps imo
100% fact. And the issue is even good DC pumps are failing as quick as the cheap ones, as they almost all come out of china. The cheapest pumps so far have offered me long term reliability, with zero issues long term so far.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back