Noisy sump

  • Thread starter Thread starter drcole
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

drcole

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 1, 2015
Messages
876
Reaction score
480
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sump is noisy due to the water draining from the DT. I added a piece of 1" PVC to the water level of the dump so it wasn't loud but that resulted in the water level in the overflow box raising and dropping about 1". Wasn't sure if anyone had any other ideas to combat this issue. Thanks in advance!
 
Most likely yes.

How is the water getting from your tank to the sump? Is your tank reef ready?

For my reef ready 75 (( and 210, when I had it up )), I am running an Herbie overflow, and it is dead silent. No bubbles at all.
 
I'm not sure if I answered this in full or part once before or not...I think you have some similar threads going about drain and sump issues.
Overflow water level fluctuating
Reef Ready Corner Overflow Noise
So forgive me if any of this is a repeat. :)

Check that you aren't running too much flow first. If you are, you may be able to prevent the noise rather than trying to contain it.

Generally 2x to 4x the display's volume in GPH - actual flow, not a pump's rated flow - is all it takes to keep your skimmers and such well-fed. More can cause issues with bubbles and noise.

For example, consider a 200 gallon tank.

200 gallons
x2
=400 GPH

x4 = 800 GPH​

You have to account for head loss if you're calculating your flow, but if at all possible, I like to actually measure the flow myself. Use a gallon jug on your return and time how long it takes to fill up....convert to GPH.

If you're flow rate is close to the correct range, then slowing down the flow as it hits the sump and then containing the bubbles will be your tasks. Enlarging the plumbing can help, as can letting the drain go into an intermediate container before being released into the sump. There are lots of ways that do variously good jobs of containing or limiting this problem.

Check your flow first to see if you can avoid having the problem in the first place though! :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new