Noisy Waterbox

Khonho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just temporary fix mine. Water was splashing by the Tee, add a few zip ties to divert the water. Might help if you have the same issue.

Attachments

• 20200429_163726.mp4
    35.7 MB
  • 20200429_164315.mp4
    21.9 MB

Lunchboxau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you end up going? I’m still fighting with this somewhat. I turned down the flow to 10% on the vectra and have the water sitting just at the overflow level but no dice.
Frustrating the amount of tuning required :) on my 180.5 I’m considering throwing some filter media at the top of the waterline in the weir but don’t want to compromise the overflow redundancy at all!

OP
OP
B

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you end up going? I’m still fighting with this somewhat. I turned down the flow to 10% on the vectra and have the water sitting just at the overflow level but no dice.
Frustrating the amount of tuning required :) on my 180.5 I’m considering throwing some filter media at the top of the waterline in the weir but don’t want to compromise the overflow redundancy at all!
I'm going on a year and still can't get it quiet. Just living with the noise now.

JohnnyBeagle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a lot of waves created by your powerhead or different flow modes throughout the day you'll hear some noise

The trick I've found to work is to adjust it by turning it a short distance counterclockwise and waiting 4-5 minutes to see where that put the water level before adjusting again. It's not an instant response and if you go too fast your adjustments are basically blind.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with this a bit too. I agree the wave makers make surge over the teeth and it either splashed on the return tubing or gurgles into the emergency.

The other thing is sump sound seems to travel up the back wall, fooling me into thinking it’s the overflow. In my case the refugium baffle gets dirty and creates massive waterfall. The fix there was to use magnets and put a piece of filter along the baffle just under the teeth so the water is dispersed. Been that way for a month or more now and really quieted the whole tank down.

I was thinking about creating a toothed cap for the emergency pipe too so it might trickle better. I don’t want the water level higher though so I might just take a file and put some tiny notches in.

Sweetreef21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a waterbox myself and i know the struggle. Like others have said im able to get it quite with some fine tunning. But it is a pita when you walk away and think its good but then it starts to gurgle again.

PITA TANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issues was silent for 2 months then I started getting a dripping echo from tank. Was driving me crazy no adjusting was helping. Then I noticed condensation dripping from return pipe right down into emergency drain. Wiped off and noise immediately went away. Now to figure out how to divert the drip.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back