Noob at Reefing

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to the saltwater world and would like to ask a few questions. I want to start up a saltwater tank, reef if I can, using a 40 gallon breeder I have laying around. My main goal is to filter it using HOB filters, water pumps, and live rock/sand. I have seen multiple YouTubers do this for a 40 gallon but want to ask others before doing so. They’ve used the filter but added in other stuff like certain bio media and used pumps. What items are ABSOLUTELY necessary for a saltwater/reef tank? Could I use a HOB filter, a water pump, live rock, live sand, and be done?

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R. By a water pump I'm assuming you mean a powerhead. One or two of those with a HOB will be fine to start. In addition you will likely need a heater. In the future you may want a protein skimmer. And of course don't forget the lights.

What sort of corals are you thinking about? Planning that out will help you decide on equipment.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R @Pea Puffer 67 !!! I also have a 40g breeder and If you want to use a HOB filter I will recommend you an Aquaclear 70 or 110. Great filter and you can add some media like carbon bag on it and also buy a Pinky filter pad that they sell 10ft for $10 and will last a few month. Now, you will need to change that filter material depending on your livestock twice a week to avoid a nitrite factory. I have 2 Jebao 025 wavemaker on mine and is more that enough for the 40g. The heater is a must have at least a 150 watts and if you can get a heater controller like a Inkbird your are set. Something that I recommend you is a ATO (auto top off) to keep the salinity stable. On the rocks, will recommend you at least 1lbs per gallon. Maybe I'm missing something else but other reefers can provide their advise.

OP
OP
P

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R @Pea Puffer 67 !!! I also have a 40g breeder and If you want to use a HOB filter I will recommend you an Aquaclear 70 or 110. Great filter and you can add some media like carbon bag on it and also buy a Pinky filter pad that they sell 10ft for $10 and will last a few month. Now, you will need to change that filter material depending on your livestock twice a week to avoid a nitrite factory. I have 2 Jebao 025 wavemaker on mine and is more that enough for the 40g. The heater is a must have at least a 150 watts and if you can get a heater controller like a Inkbird your are set. Something that I recommend you is a ATO (auto top off) to keep the salinity stable. On the rocks, will recommend you at least 1lbs per gallon. Maybe I'm missing something else but other reefers can provide their advise.
Thank you so much!! Now one question, I’m just a little confused on what you mean by change the filter media. Do you mean change the carbon bag 2x every week? Or everything needs to be changed 2x a week? Thanks!

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the filter media . You don't need to have carbon all the time. Since I make my own water RODI I use carbon once every 3 month if I see the need.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to the saltwater world and would like to ask a few questions. I want to start up a saltwater tank, reef if I can, using a 40 gallon breeder I have laying around. My main goal is to filter it using HOB filters, water pumps, and live rock/sand. I have seen multiple YouTubers do this for a 40 gallon but want to ask others before doing so. They’ve used the filter but added in other stuff like certain bio media and used pumps. What items are ABSOLUTELY necessary for a saltwater/reef tank? Could I use a HOB filter, a water pump, live rock, live sand, and be done?

In my opinion HOB or Canisters are a lot more work for a saltwater tank, and dont belong on them. Thats just my opinion. You have to clean them at least every week or they become massive ammonia factories.

Either way, if you use one you should put filter media in them.

OP
OP
P

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the filter media . You don't need to have carbon all the time. Since I make my own water RODI I use carbon once every 3 month if I see the need.
Thanks! Is there any way to buy bulk media to save money? Or do I have to crank out the 20 bucks every week?

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Is there any way to buy bulk media to save money? Or do I have to crank out the 20 bucks every week?
This is the one I use click here . I have a 10g tank with a HOB AC-70 that I have as a QT with a 100 watt heater running with a few rocks. I cut it to fit the filter. Of course I don't change the pad cuz I don't have no fish.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you choose to run carbon, you will have to replace it a couple times per month. It's fairly cheap to do so though. Another HOB filter is the sachem Tidal series. They have a ton of space as well. Look into placing some live rock rubble in them for extra biofiltration. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a hob or canister filter either. Some of us don't have the luxury, or want to add a sump, and that's fine. There are plenty of very successful reefs that run both.

As far as additional equipment, I forgot to add a RODI unit which has already been mentioned. I used to use my LFS water as well. I had been battling a bunch of algae issues, and found that the LFS was reselling their used water. It was full of p04 and n03. I got my own rodi and salt and everything is slowly coming back into place. Theres also the added benefit of having water on hand in the case of an emergency at 2am.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find this helpful as well

And Welcome to R2R!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back