NOOOOO! Gonna have to try again =/

TerraCaelus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I almost finished drilling 3 holes in my new display tank. Suddenly the drill bit caught on something and there is now nice spider webbing. Well, time to get another tank and do it again. 11215522_10206886940747632_6917864648520059901_n.jpg

OP
OP
TerraCaelus

TerraCaelus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, towards the end. I think I know what went wrong. Since I was doing it on the grass it was rocking a little. I was trying to be water conscious because of the drought, but I'm going to do the next one on my flat patio. Luckly they are on sale right now for $40, so I didn't lose much.

sonnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the tank. Most glass glaziers drill from both sides to help minimize chips and cracks. You drill half way through one side then the other half from the other side. It really is not necessary but you definitely minimize chips and cracks.

Also, a cordless drill is helpful. The reduced torque (compared to AC drill) is much easier to handle. You can also use the drill clutch to minimize the kick if the bit binds up add to prevent you from applying too much pressure. Adjust the clutch so it will slip if you press too hard on the glass.

OP
OP
TerraCaelus

TerraCaelus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the tank. Most glass glaziers drill from both sides to help minimize chips and cracks. You drill half way through one side then the other half from the other side. It really is not necessary but you definitely minimize chips and cracks.

Also, a cordless drill is helpful. The reduced torque (compared to AC drill) is much easier to handle. You can also use the drill clutch to minimize the kick if the bit binds up add to prevent you from applying too much pressure. Adjust the clutch so it will slip if you press too hard on the glass.

I never thought about drilling from both sides. I worry about lining it up properly. I was using a cordless. I think part of the problem was I didn't have enough battery juice left for the last hole after continuously running it for the first one. So this caused the drill bit to be slower and it "caught" on something which caused a sharp movement that broke the glass.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate drilling tanks. Took me a few tries as well. I learned at the end that even the weight of the drill will cause the glass to break or spider. You just have to etch a little at a time and let the bit do the work.

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound counter productive but I used to have to drill alot of glass for my job and I noticed that like mentioned above use a cordless . Also towards the end pause for a mine off of the glass to let it cool which happens rather quickly. Then run the drill at fast speed and with only a light weight of the drill for pressure begin cutting. Have a firm grip. This fast with low pressure cutting essentially let's it grind through it slow instead of cutting a big chunk and catching on the lip before it's 100% cut causing it to jerk and Crack the glass

OP
OP
TerraCaelus

TerraCaelus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound counter productive but I used to have to drill alot of glass for my job and I noticed that like mentioned above use a cordless . Also towards the end pause for a mine off of the glass to let it cool which happens rather quickly. Then run the drill at fast speed and with only a light weight of the drill for pressure begin cutting. Have a firm grip. This fast with low pressure cutting essentially let's it grind through it slow instead of cutting a big chunk and catching on the lip before it's 100% cut causing it to jerk and Crack the glass

Thank you for these tips!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back