OP
A sea K

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
%E7%94%B5%E6%B0%94%E5%8F%82%E6%95%B0-jpg.894042
I think GabeM is looking for actual power draw from a unit in use and not the manufacturer claimed usage. It seems there is a lot of dispcrepancy with CBB lights and advertised power usage vs what they actually pull while in use under full power.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think GabeM is looking for actual power draw from a unit in use and not the manufacturer claimed usage. It seems there is a lot of dispcrepancy with CBB lights and advertised power usage vs what they actually pull while in use under full power.
Thanks - rated power usage can vary greatly from actual usage. I have been trying to figure out how hard they are driving these LEDs as I am interested in buying them but I don't want a fixture that will last ~6 months due to being overdriven.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is that they are not overdriving them. Plus, I don't run any of the channels at 100% on my 30x30x24 tank.

Now, mine setup has only been on two months so I can't speak for longevity. But, I have been building LED setups for years and these seem very well built.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is that they are not overdriving them. Plus, I don't run any of the channels at 100% on my 30x30x24 tank.

Now, mine setup has only been on two months so I can't speak for longevity. But, I have been building LED setups for years and these seem very well built.

Well I suppose I'll have to buy one to find out.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt want to start a new thread, so I figured I will post here, as it is feedback thread. I just got 6 of these lights and am in planning stages for the aquarium. What I am not sure is how many fixtures should I use, and how to place them.

Tank is standard 120G 4X2X2. I dont think I can place all 6 one next to the other like this
img_20190128_183835-jpg.961608
(pic shamelessly borrowed from @Manose)

I could turn them by 90 degrees and most likely fit them all in, but not sure if that is the best idea. Something like this

4114-jpg.999168

Finally, i could go 2 rows of 3, however I am not sure if that is good use either.

Main issue with all 3 is that I have a center brace, and unfortunately it is not clear. It is big, black, solid brace, so no matter which way I go, i will have some shadowing because of it. Brace is 2.75 inches wide.

Any tips and help would be welcomed.

Thanks

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt want to start a new thread, so I figured I will post here, as it is feedback thread. I just got 6 of these lights and am in planning stages for the aquarium. What I am not sure is how many fixtures should I use, and how to place them.

Tank is standard 120G 4X2X2. I dont think I can place all 6 one next to the other like this

I could turn them by 90 degrees and most likely fit them all in, but not sure if that is the best idea. Something like this

4114-jpg.999168

Finally, i could go 2 rows of 3, however I am not sure if that is good use either.

Main issue with all 3 is that I have a center brace, and unfortunately it is not clear. It is big, black, solid brace, so no matter which way I go, i will have some shadowing because of it. Brace is 2.75 inches wide.

Thanks
I think turning them 90deg is your best bet and do not worry as with that many lights there will not be any shadows.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4114-jpg.999168

Thanks

I would turn them 90 degrees and just use 4. 6 would probably be overkill on a 4x2

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would turn them 90 degrees and just use 4. 6 would probably be overkill on a 4x2

Thats one thing I am not sure about. Reading noopsyche's info about number of units for each size tank + coral type, and having talked to few folks, it seems 4 could be enough for LPS, but more are needed for mixed/SPS tank

a4-jpg.913982

Someone recommended 5 for a 4 ft tank, so that is what I was originally aiming for, but since I have extra light, I am wondering if I can put it to good use.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an opinion after firing them up. I am using 3 in my aquatic hybrid T5 fixture over a 60x30 tank. I wish I would have known I could fir four fixtures in there, now I got to order 1 more

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good to know. Thanks for he info. Got to look into this more and see which way to go. Will have to make a decision sooner or later haha.

OP
OP
A sea K

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

I agree that 6 is likely overkill but if I were to use that many I would definately do 2 rows of 3, otherwise I would drop the quanity down to 4 and still orient them 90 degrees. My tank shares the same 48x24 footprint as yours, just shallower and is the same as Manose is using, I intend to run three lights but turn them 90 deg to the orientation Manose is using.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could turn them down and run six. Very even coverage and the lights will last longer

I think even 4 on that tank is Overkill. But I could be wrong

Since I havent really been looking into lighting details too much, stupid question time: What are the downsides of running lights at lower power? I am guessing PAR will suffer, but what else?

As an extreme and very simple example, instead of running whites at 100% and everything else at 75%, run whites at 50% and everything else at 38%

Thanks

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I havent really been looking into lighting details too much, stupid question time: What are the downsides of running lights at lower power? I am guessing PAR will suffer, but what else?

As an extreme and very simple example, instead of running whites at 100% and everything else at 75%, run whites at 50% and everything else at 38%

Thanks

Just lower PAR. Everything else is a benefit running them lower.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both. I guess I will need to play around with my seneye and see how PAR readings look with 4-6 fixtures at different power levels and heights. If I can get same or better PAR reading with 6 but at lower power like I would with 4 at higher power, might as well use 6 and not stress them as much. I am guessing coverage would be a bit better too, but will definitely need to play around with all of this and see how it turns out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back