NooPsyche K7 V3 Review! Perfect Light for a Nano Reef? Let’s see!

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Before I dive into this thread, I want to give @noopsyche a big shout out for my brand new NooPsyche K7 V3! I was looking to upgrade the lighting on my 20 gallon and just so happened to be one of three lucky winners of this fixture. Very grateful! Anyways, here goes…​

The Tank

C7B4A719-40CE-4C6B-9051-9271D88B1944.jpeg

My tank is an IM 20 NUVO Fusion Pro AIO that has been running for about a year. It has the stock Might Jet return pump, a 50 watt Eheim heater and a Hygger Powerhead. Simple setup. Sometimes less is more. The tank has been running with a single AI Prime 16HD. The tank is home to 2 clownfish, a fire goby, a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp. In terms of corals and anemones, I have a mixed reef. The tank is home to several colonies of zoas, hammers, a frogspawn, an octospawn, monti caps, and a few RBTAs.​

Shipping

Knowing that the light was coming from Hong Kong, I had braced myself for a long wait. To my surprise, shipping was super fast! Got the notification that the light was shipped with a tracking number through DHL on 5/1 and the light arrived today, at my doorstep in California, on 5/4. I’ve dealt with slower shipping for products delivered within the US!​

Packaging

CA375B67-7E02-4A9C-BAFB-72F5BC8C98A1.jpeg

While the exterior packing showed signs of some wear and tear from shipping, the inside box containing the light and other equipment was in excellent condition. All parts were nicely and snuggly wrapped in bubble wrap and tape. Nothing appeared to be damaged.​

A5DBF876-A95E-4B20-AF80-D13A1DAFF6D3.jpeg

2FBC79F9-E60C-455A-9E52-1055F80C42BA.jpeg

5842BD5C-49FC-4037-8FF5-82DDFAEB9AF2.jpeg

First Impressions

The fixture, mount and other parts do not appear cheaply made. The fixture is sleek and looks great. There’s some weight to the light. The lens over the LEDs is not flush with the bottom of the fixture so I can imagine it being scratched/damaged if someone isn’t careful in handling the fixture. The mount appears sturdy. The controller leaves much to be desired, doesn’t visually look the best, but if it does what it is supposed to do, then no complaints. Overall, looks like a great light and excited to put it to use.

CF166F01-C0DC-4E54-9A08-95089BF251E1.jpeg

That is all for now. Hoping to put the light over the tank this weekend and will post an update here when I do! Stay Tuned!​

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope this video will help you quickly learn how to connect lights with controllers and set K71 hot key for reviewing best setting.

OP
OP
C

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, I couldn’t wait until the weekend to set up the light and did so last night. Here are the results…

A49CA6AD-C245-415A-9DF1-54A5BBD38F96.jpeg

Assembling the light was relatively easy. There is a lack of instructions included in the box on how to assemble the arm, but a helpful video available on NooPsyche’s website.

Using the controller to set up the light was a bit of a pain. Frankly, the controller is ugly lol There are detailed instructions in the box, but they are not super user friendly. I had more success watching a video on NooPsyche’s website. Even then, it’s not super intuitive… but once you get the hang of it, it’s bearable. I managed to set up an automatic day cycle with an hour ramp up and hour ramp down. Having to plug in the controller every time to adjust the settings is also not super convenient. As the controllability of the light goes, I think a mobile app would exponentially improve the overall functionality of the light.

FCF36419-81CA-4763-9702-9D23DA7492FC.jpeg

As for the light itself.. wow! The colors are great and the ability to individually control the various channels is a plus. The led cover things seem to get very hot, very quick. Should be careful when handling the light if it’s on or has been on for some time. The overall fixture itself however isnt hot to touch. The fixture is dead silent. Even when the fan runs (unless you put your ear right up to it). My corals have responded well and look amazing. I am running a custom setting, heavier blues. Hope to test PAR out our at some point in the near future and look forward to seeing how these lights do in terms of growth!

Last edited:

Bim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @everyone, im new here. I have a question here, does the fan in noopsyche k7 v3 automatically spin at a certain temperature?? Because my Noopsyche k7 v3 fan seems not spinning at the first try when power plugged in. thank you for your answer!

OP
OP
C

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello @everyone, im new here. I have a question here, does the fan in noopsyche k7 v3 automatically spin at a certain temperature?? Because my Noopsyche k7 v3 fan seems not spinning at the first try when power plugged in. thank you for your answer!
In my short experience, the fan spins when the fixture reaches certain temperatures. The fan will not spin right when you plug in the fixture, and will not otherwise constantly be on.

When the fan has been on for me, it’s been silent unless you have your ear right up next to the fixture.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as far as I can tell, it comes on once it reaches a certain temp, it doesn’t run continuously.

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up so far! Cant wait to see the grown you have. I've ordered one of these lights and waiting for them to ship. Didnt get the controller yet though but I'm thinking of doing a write up on the use of the light without the controller. Some people might like to see the difference.

OP
OP
C

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any updates on this light?
The light has been running on my tank now for about 4 months. Pictures as of last evening:

AC33C66C-E1B7-4EBD-ADC9-EBD80883BF86.jpeg

AC1AFB4E-5F7E-4527-A65A-E8BFC0CD1BFF.jpeg

Light is still doing it’s job. Sits about 10” from the surface and runs at about 50% blue channels and 10% white channels. Set for a 9 hour/day total schedule. Wipe the lenses with a moist cloth once a month for minimal salt creep. The fan is still pretty silent (clean it once a month with a duster spray). The mount is still snug to the tank (hasn’t loosened).

All coral (montis, zoas, torches, hammers, chalices) and anemones seem to be doing fine. Some are growing faster than others. Hard to attribute it specifically to the light, but the light is definitely meeting expectations. Having the plug the controller in every time you want to adjust settings is a pain in the butt. Having a user friendly app (similar to the prime) would be great.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the app and non app version. The app makes life so much easier... great lights either way.
I don’t know if it’s possible, but I really wish they’d come out with an adapter to make the older V3 work with the app.

Andmif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light has been running on my tank now for about 4 months. Pictures as of last evening:

Light is still doing it’s job. Sits about 10” from the surface and runs at about 50% blue channels and 10% white channels. Set for a 9 hour/day total schedule. Wipe the lenses with a moist cloth once a month for minimal salt creep. The fan is still pretty silent (clean it once a month with a duster spray). The mount is still snug to the tank (hasn’t loosened).

All coral (montis, zoas, torches, hammers, chalices) and anemones seem to be doing fine. Some are growing faster than others. Hard to attribute it specifically to the light, but the light is definitely meeting expectations. Having the plug the controller in every time you want to adjust settings is a pain in the butt. Having a user friendly app (similar to the prime) would be great.
Can you tell also what are the lavels of the red, green and uv channels? As you only stated blue and white channels.

OP
OP
C

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can you tell also what are the lavels of the red, green and uv channels? As you only stated blue and white channels.
UV is running at about 15 with red and green both 3 or less.

I upped the whites by about 10 over the course of this week for 3 hours in the afternoon to get a bit more of a day time look. My anemones seem to like a little more white light for a short period of time during the day.

Andmif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is running at about 15 with red and green both 3 or less.

I upped the whites by about 10 over the course of this week for 3 hours in the afternoon to get a bit more of a day time look. My anemones seem to like a little more white light for a short period of time during the day.
Thankyou for your info

Hernan javier lorenzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hola podrías compartir tu setting

translation:
Hello, could you share your setting?

Last edited by a moderator:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back