Noopsyche mini vs pro

mavv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm planning on upgrading my 10 gallon reef to a 40 breeder tank. For budget reasons, this is a medium-term plan while I save for the equipment upgrade.

What I can do in the meantime is upgrade my 10 gallon light. I can buy one of the lights that will go over the 40B and use it in the 10 while I wait to buy the new tank.

I have narrowed my options to buy a Noopsyche. I know that the Mini would be plenty for the 10 gallon, but how about the 40?

Everywhere I see recommendations for 2 Noopsyche Pro for a 40B; how different would 2 (or even 3) Mini be?

The 10 gallon is my first tank and I'm not an expert in reef lighting. I have a Nicrew Marine LED bar on that one and I'd say it makes zoas grow well, LPS are growing and a couple montiporas don't look sad but I can't decide if they are growing (they have only been there for month).

So, my options for the 40B breeder are:

- 2 Noopsyche Mini
- 2 Noopsyche Pro
- (maybe) 3 Noopsyche Mini

Going from there, I'll get one of the chosen lights for my 10 gallon. Can someone with experience with these lights please tell the any drawbacks of going with the Minis for the 40B? Obvious pro is that the Minis are cheaper.

Thanks.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm planning on upgrading my 10 gallon reef to a 40 breeder tank. For budget reasons, this is a medium-term plan while I save for the equipment upgrade.

What I can do in the meantime is upgrade my 10 gallon light. I can buy one of the lights that will go over the 40B and use it in the 10 while I wait to buy the new tank.

I have narrowed my options to buy a Noopsyche. I know that the Mini would be plenty for the 10 gallon, but how about the 40?

Everywhere I see recommendations for 2 Noopsyche Pro for a 40B; how different would 2 (or even 3) Mini be?

The 10 gallon is my first tank and I'm not an expert in reef lighting. I have a Nicrew Marine LED bar on that one and I'd say it makes zoas grow well, LPS are growing and a couple montiporas don't look sad but I can't decide if they are growing (they have only been there for month).

So, my options for the 40B breeder are:

- 2 Noopsyche Mini
- 2 Noopsyche Pro
- (maybe) 3 Noopsyche Mini

Going from there, I'll get one of the chosen lights for my 10 gallon. Can someone with experience with these lights please tell the any drawbacks of going with the Minis for the 40B? Obvious pro is that the Minis are cheaper.

Thanks.
3 minis. Plenty of light, great coverage, and PAR to spare.
PXL_20231028_001402568.jpg
PXL_20231028_001413191.jpg

OP
OP
M

mavv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! I'll go with the Minis, it will be easier on the budget and the energy consumption and if they can keep a tank like that, I'm sold.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could easily do 2 pros, and that would be all you ever need. 3 minis or 2 pros would accomplish the same, with following pros/cons:

Pro pros:
-More spectrum (6 channels)
-More wattage, but for a 40, moot b/c they both cover you for everything you may want--might be able to run the pros at lower %
-Fewer lights, so may be more aesthetic and easier space management
Cons:
-Bit more $$.

Mini pros:
-perfect for 40b dimensions
-cost less
-spectrum is really good
Cons:
-3 channels instead of 6 (still good channels/distribution!)
-1 more brick/cables/outlet

OP
OP
M

mavv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could easily do 2 pros, and that would be all you ever need. 3 minis or 2 pros would accomplish the same, with following pros/cons:

Pro pros:
-More wattage, but for a 40, moot b/c they both cover you for everything you may want--might be able to run the pros at lower %
Cons:
-Bit more $$.

Mini pros:
-cost less
-spectrum is really good
Cons:

Pro pros:
Cons:
-Bit more $$.

Mini pros:
-cost less
-spectrum is really good
Cons:
That's exactly what I needed, a practical comparison. Everywhere I see "2 Pros" but I hadn't seen any arguments against running Minis in the 40B. I don't mind having 3 lights vs 2.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I needed, a practical comparison. Everywhere I see "2 Pros" but I hadn't seen any arguments against running Minis in the 40B. I don't mind having 3 lights vs 2.
Mine work great. I can send you my settings, although I run mine a bit more whites for better fish viewing, and also bc I don't have much algae problems currently.

Getting about 300-350 PAR at peaks on top of the rocks and up to 200 on the sand bed. Would be way too much for my sand bed shrooms and LPS, but it is a Saxby-like schedule, so intense peaks and lower resting troughs throughout the day, which I think they tolerate well.

Of note, Noops do not have great wifi connectivity of you're unlucky. I use the APS mode, connecting directly to the light, so I don't really care.

Another con of the Minis: they don't have slave mode like the Pros, so you have to connect to each light to change settings. Not all that difficult if you pick a schedule and stick to it or you make a QR code and copy it over to the other two relatively quickly.

OP
OP
M

mavv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll take you up on that offer to share schedules once I get the Mini.

I'm not really interested in changing settings often, my goal is to just set it up to what works. With my current lights, I turn them to all blue for the last couple hours of the night. If I spend 1-2 hours configuring the light, it will be worth it to to not mess with it after that.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend 2 Pro's. I love my mini but I'm excited to upgrade to the pro when I go from a 15g to a 25g. Again, love my mini, nothing against it. Pro offers full spectrum as opposed to just the blue spectrum. You also have to think about coverage, 4 outputs as opposed to 2 will always offer better coverage.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend 2 Pro's. I love my mini but I'm excited to upgrade to the pro when I go from a 15g to a 25g. Again, love my mini, nothing against it. Pro offers full spectrum as opposed to just the blue spectrum. You also have to think about coverage, 4 outputs as opposed to 2 will always offer better coverage.
Solid advice, but I think OP is weighing 2 Pros vs 3 Minis. I think both accomplish the same thing in a 40B with a mixed-reef...but will it be a mixed reef?

We haven't asked the OP a critical question. Are you planning an SPS dominant tank or multiple clams?

If yes, I would switch my recommendation to two Pros. You can accomplish the high PAR reqs with 3 Minis, but you'd be running them at higher % and the Pros would then give you some cushion. And if adding clams, they would certainly appreciate the additional spectra.

But for a mixed reef, I think either 2 Pros or 3 Minis will give you good results.

Up to OP whether the additional cost of the Pros is worth the extra spectra and power cushion (which it might--in my case no because I have complete coverage and hitting my target PAR at less than 50% power).

OP
OP
M

mavv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid advice, but I think OP is weighing 2 Pros vs 3 Minis. I think both accomplish the same thing in a 40B with a mixed-reef...but will it be a mixed reef?

We haven't asked the OP a critical question. Are you planning an SPS dominant tank or multiple clams?

If yes, I would switch my recommendation to two Pros. You can accomplish the high PAR reqs with 3 Minis, but you'd be running them at higher % and the Pros would then give you some cushion. And if adding clams, they would certainly appreciate the additional spectra.

But for a mixed reef, I think either 2 Pros or 3 Minis will give you good results.

Up to OP whether the additional cost of the Pros is worth the extra spectra and power cushion (which it might--in my case no because I have complete coverage and hitting my target PAR at less than 50% power).
My plan is mixed reef. I don't plan on having an SPS dominant tank or any clams. The SPS I see myself adding are montis, bird's nest, pavona and stylophora. From what I have read, none of those require crazy PAR.

OP
OP
M

mavv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine work great. I can send you my settings, although I run mine a bit more whites for better fish viewing, and also bc I don't have much algae problems currently.

Getting about 300-350 PAR at peaks on top of the rocks and up to 200 on the sand bed. Would be way too much for my sand bed shrooms and LPS, but it is a Saxby-like schedule, so intense peaks and lower resting troughs throughout the day, which I think they tolerate well.

Of note, Noops do not have great wifi connectivity of you're unlucky. I use the APS mode, connecting directly to the light, so I don't really care.

Another con of the Minis: they don't have slave mode like the Pros, so you have to connect to each light to change settings. Not all that difficult if you pick a schedule and stick to it or you make a QR code and copy it over to the other two relatively quickly.
I finally got my Mini, do you mind sharing your schedule/settings? Thanks!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my Mini, do you mind sharing your schedule/settings? Thanks!
K7mini43702_LPS.jpg

I don't know if this is the most recent screenshot, but the schedule looks like this +/- a few %s.
Screenshot_20230907-110740.png

In future I will probably tighten the peaks and troughs a bit since there is right now ~15% spread, so moving to closer to 10% spread.

OP
OP
M

mavv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K7mini43702_LPS.jpg

I don't know if this is the most recent screenshot, but the schedule looks like this +/- a few %s.
Screenshot_20230907-110740.png

In future I will probably tighten the peaks and troughs a bit since there is right now ~15% spread, so moving to closer to 10% spread.
Thanks!

SEvolution

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m thinking to start a 40G tank
24x24x16 inches

Planning to keep SPS mainly with some LPS at bottom and fishes 3-4 (wrasse, hawkfish, clowns)

If you could guide me about lighting

What lights should I be looking for as I am on a budget. I have been reading about noopsyche, nicrews and reefi which one should I opt for as I cannot afford Radeon XR30

What skimmer should I go for?

How much live rocks?

Which wavemaker is better for this setup. Is jebao good?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back