North Alabama: What would you want in an LFS?

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that doesn’t come across as petty. I am totally committed and involved with this hobby. Therefore I want to do the best I can for my reef zoo. I hate to see something go to waste or die because of my negligence or lack of knowledge. But when you first start out in this hobby there is so much to take in and learn in such a short period of time. I think that is what is missing with the LFS in our area. You remember me for sure I’m the one with the beautiful wife [emoji6] [emoji6]

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You remember me for sure I’m the one with the beautiful wife
emoji6.png
emoji6.png
I thought that was me! ;):p

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on location...Do you have any stats on where local reefers live? If not, we could post the general location of reefers we know that aren't active on r2r. Or maybe host/sponsor a frag swap.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post up at Campus 805.
I bet you could sell good looking corals to people that don’t even have reef tanks.

A few beers makes for good business.
Or maybe I just want to come drink a couple and buy some frags [emoji16]

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on location...Do you have any stats on where local reefers live? If not, we could post the general location of reefers we know that aren't active on r2r. Or maybe host/sponsor a frag swap.

Good idea

GrumpyDaddy68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m new in the hobby...
So my point of view is from somebody that has read a lot but still knows nothing.
What I would like to see in a LFS is more small systems (AIO) already set; this is really because somebody new can take a look and see multiple ways to get into the hobby.
We know that this hobby can as expensive as you want but there might be other not so expensive ways to get into it.
Some systems using a specific light brand; some others a different one.
I remember in Houston there was this LFS with systems like that even were for sale; next time I was there they were already gone.
There are people that we could probably pay for a small complete system already set and ready to plug-in (I know I would).
Sometimes larger systems are just way to scary for a noob.
Just some ideas,
Good luck!!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m new in the hobby...
So my point of view is from somebody that has read a lot but still knows nothing.
What I would like to see in a LFS is more small systems (AIO) already set; this is really because somebody new can take a look and see multiple ways to get into the hobby.
We know that this hobby can as expensive as you want but there might be other not so expensive ways to get into it.
Some systems using a specific light brand; some others a different one.
I remember in Houston there was this LFS with systems like that even were for sale; next time I was there they were already gone.
There are people that we could probably pay for a small complete system already set and ready to plug-in (I know I would).
Sometimes larger systems are just way to scary for a noob.
Just some ideas,
Good luck!!

I had this idea and we have debated (put politely) about it.

Glad to know it's viable.

There will be a couple AIO systems setup in the class room and in strategic areas.

Once we settle on a location, then we can ramp up floor plans and stocking lists.

I would love to talk at length at some point about your concerns for an LFS since you are newer to the hobby.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I will contact you and maybe we can grab lunch one day.

I want to get the opinions of seasoned and beginning reef keepers alike. I have been in this so long, I really need a fresh perspective on starting out today. That way I can have classes on things that are of interest to all levels and carry the things in house that will be of use and sell. No point in having full shelves if the stuff isn't what people need or want to buy locally.

I hate going into a store and they have dusty merchandise that the package is two or three revisions old and none of it is what I was looking for. I would rather them have a pallet of salt and bins of bulkhead fittings and valves than filter pads for XYZ power filter and a reel of 5/8" hose that will never get used.

Does that make sense?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need a fresh perspective on starting out today. That way I can have classes on things that are of interest to all levels and carry the things in house that will be of use and sell.
Still being fairly new and helping a lot of newer reefers I know I would love to see classroom style training geared for people before they get into the hobby based on end goals.

Geared towards people before buying their first piece of equipment:
Basic equipment, filtration, lighting.
Value and methods of implementing redundancy.
Aquascaping and substrate selection.

Prior to adding livestock:
Curing rock.
How to cycle/skip cycle and how to monitor it.
Risk and Rewards of quarantine.
Fish disease and medications.
Proper flow and lighting.
Nutrient export methods.

Prior to adding coral:
Water testing.
Methods of maintaining alkalinity and calcium.
Methods of maintaining trace elements.
Algae, harmful bacteria, dinoflagellate identification and treatments.

Just some things that come to the top of my mind.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still being fairly new and helping a lot of newer reefers I know I would love to see classroom style training geared for people before they get into the hobby based on end goals.

Geared towards people before buying their first piece of equipment:
Basic equipment, filtration, lighting.
Value and methods of implementing redundancy.
Aquascaping and substrate selection.

Prior to adding livestock:
Curing rock.
How to cycle/skip cycle and how to monitor it.
Risk and Rewards of quarantine.
Fish disease and medications.
Proper flow and lighting.
Nutrient export methods.

Prior to adding coral:
Water testing.
Methods of maintaining alkalinity and calcium.
Methods of maintaining trace elements.
Algae, harmful bacteria, dinoflagellate identification and treatments.

Just some things that come to the top of my mind.

All good suggestions.

Thanks!

GrumpyDaddy68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it makes sense...
The LFS needs to have friendly and knowledge people; one single wrong answer can take a newcomer out of the hobby completely.
I agreed with 'Brew12'; classes starting with what type of equipment to buy are important.
My future plans are to setup a Lagoon25 AIO; however, a couple of weeks ago I just finally setup a 10gal with filter, rock, sand and it's in the cycle process.
I am really not in a hurry so, whatever time it takes it's fine with me (it might be fish only at the beginning).
BUT, in just this two weeks I wish I had know multiple things that I was not aware (I'm sure some of those basic lessons/classes would help anybody).
Another thing I would suggest is try to be competitive with online prices... I know.. I know!. It's a business and we all work for a profit. I always try to but from my LFS as much as possible to help local businesses; however, sometimes the price different between some of the items is about 3X (no brainer here, people will go online).

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pricing is why we are not going to try to stock everything.

We will do a formal survey closer to opening to see what the top say 25 items people want in stock and go from there. You would be surprised and what buying a case of something or a pallet of others will save and allow you to compete or at least be in the ballpark with online stuff.

The other thing is we won't be taking any pay for the first two years even if the store does a ton of business. This is a passion for us. So, with low overhead, specific dry goods stock in bulk and no payroll, we should be able to make this thing work.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing. There won't be a single thing in the store besides the cash register not for sale.

It gripes the heck out of me to see a gorgeous display tank and then none of it is for sale.

We have had several failed stores that had tanks setup that nothing was for sale in them and then really terrible selection. What's the point in that?

And I can't stand when a store keeps the best stuff for themselves.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I would suggest is try to be competitive with online prices... I know.. I know!. It's a business and we all work for a profit. I always try to but from my LFS as much as possible to help local businesses; however, sometimes the price different between some of the items is about 3X (no brainer here, people will go online).
This is a double edged sword that comes with MAP pricing. It allows LFS's to compete price wise with online suppliers. The downside is that it also keeps prices higher for end users. MAP pricing is very common in this hobby.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this is the thing I am running into in my inquiries. Many of the suppliers actually have MAP set higher for stores. They have a "tier" program. IOW, if you only buy to tier a then your pricing is higher.

It's something we will have to seriously ponder when the time comes.

I actually found stuff we wanted to carry that it was cheaper to buy it online than it was from the wholesale places.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of the suppliers actually have MAP set higher for stores. They have a "tier" program. IOW, if you only buy to tier a then your pricing is higher.
Ugh. That is disappointing.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 48 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back