Norwegian Fjord

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the question Brew. Right now I don't know because I was not home from Friday. I did not notice notice something wrong until now with my corals. They are open up an show nice color. I didn't notice a significant growth except my Xenia. I'm happy to see some growth in two of my Sps corals, one montipora confusa I think (green with pink polips) and other I don't know the name.
This is montipora
IMG_20180826_212520.jpg

A close up with my pavona who show also some growth
IMG_20180826_212109.jpg

I'm more concerned now what will be when my nutrients are 0 No3 and Po4

FYI, I’m nearly positive that’s a cyphastrea, not a montipora. Going by the color in the photo, I’d say a version of the meteor shower cyphastrea.

Tank looks awesome. Goes to show, trying to do things right with quality equipment & good choices from the start can really make a difference.

That (probably biscuit) starfish is an awesome hitchhiker. They’re so darn cute.

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I’m nearly positive that’s a cyphastrea, not a montipora. Going by the color in the photo, I’d say a version of the meteor shower cyphastrea.

Tank looks awesome. Goes to show, trying to do things right with quality equipment & good choices from the start can really make a difference.

That (probably biscuit) starfish is an awesome hitchhiker. They’re so darn cute.

Thanks a lot, i feel shame about my knowledge....now i understand and i assume also that i consider one LPS coral to be SPS...i place it in high light area.....

Honestly i believe that i was just lucky untill now, this was the difference....:):)

I really don't know my starfish classification but i was watching a lot and i don't believe that will damage my corals....

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i believe that i was just lucky untill now, this was the difference....:):)
I believe it is that you are willing to ask questions and listen to the answers! ;)

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot, i feel shame about my knowledge....now i understand and i assume also that i consider one LPS coral to be SPS...i place it in high light area.....

I really don't know my starfish classification but i was watching a lot and i don't believe that will damage my corals....

The meteor shower cyphastrea is more tolerant than most of higher light.

I have seen them at the top, middle, and bottom of tanks.

If it’s doing ok there and not fading or bleaching, you can leave it.

Color and vividness of this coral changes depending on how much light it gets.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, Love the Sump and the Wild plumbing Job....and Excellent progress overall for a Fairly New tank.

BTW. It's no shame about whatever knowledge you don't have YET.....It's your thirst to gain knowledge that will give you success for the long run. And in this hobby you will never stop learning. Ever.

And as far as Good luck....Luck Alone would not have gotten you this far....It's your Ambition, Caring and Patience, and a good setup.
And as far as Back luck.....expected it..... so you are prepared to solve any issue that may come your way. Best advice I can give, is always have extra salt around, in case you need an emergency water change.

I find it interesting that your Algae Reactor is doing so well. Mine used to produce like crazy, and then it just slowed down to almost nothing, and I can't figure out why.

Keep up the good work....I'll be tagging along to see your journey.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it interesting that your Algae Reactor is doing so well. Mine used to produce like crazy, and then it just slowed down to almost nothing, and I can't figure out why.
Do you dose iron?

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is that you are willing to ask questions and listen to the answers! ;)

Bingo! Ignorance isn’t a bad thing unless it’s willful or obstinant. Being open minded and asking questions is a trait that more people in the world would benefit greatly from. So points for @dimidragos.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose iron?
No I don't. I would rather not since my goal in not to increase Algae Growth but goal is to decrease/eliminate Nusiance Algae in DT (and that it working 100%, with some help from CUC too).
If Corals are Happy (with Trace Iron levels from Water Changes, ESV-A/B dosing) then that is all that matters to me.

I would never dose Iron without a proper Iron test, and from what I read there are no real good Iron kits out there except a Full ICP test.
If there was a good way to test Iron (at Low Levels), then Salifert would have a kit (but they don't). There is a Red Sea kit, but I am skeptical about it's purpose.

I think the reason for Algae growth reduction is that Algae Scrubber has done it's work and has self regulated.
Another reason is I do lots of skimming.

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, Love the Sump and the Wild plumbing Job....and Excellent progress overall for a Fairly New tank.

BTW. It's no shame about whatever knowledge you don't have YET.....It's your thirst to gain knowledge that will give you success for the long run. And in this hobby you will never stop learning. Ever.

And as far as Good luck....Luck Alone would not have gotten you this far....It's your Ambition, Caring and Patience, and a good setup.
And as far as Back luck.....expected it..... so you are prepared to solve any issue that may come your way. Best advice I can give, is always have extra salt around, in case you need an emergency water change.

Keep up the good work....I'll be tagging along to see your journey.

Thanks for your kind words and please let me dream for a tech room like yours. Thanks for your advice, i have RO water for 30 % water change and 40 kg of Salt.

My algae reactor its not that old , one and half mounth, and it's ok untill now. It's strange for me also to see algae growth with No3,Po4 0.I can't tell you the reason, maibe the light. I notice after first harvest that the new algae witch growth in reactor was not so soft like the one i add and also the hair ( sorry i don't find other word but i hope you understand me) was more tick.

Last week i start to dose KNo3 (with Randy Holmes recipe ) and Aqua Forest Po4 boost (according instruction to obtain 0,02 Po4 level). I test my DT water after addition and i didn't see any trace of No3 or Po4, still 0. But after two days i notice a high algae bloom, i believe diatoms. The sand was brown, some on the rocks also. I stop all No3 Po4 addition and in other two days half was gone, now almost all gone. I decide to don't take any action a soon as everything looks normal.
I don't understand what happen.

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't. I would rather not since my goal in not to increase Algae Growth but goal is to decrease/eliminate Nusiance Algae in DT (and that it working 100%, with some help from CUC too).
If Corals are Happy (with Trace Iron levels from Water Changes, ESV-A/B dosing) then that is all that matters to me.

I would never dose Iron without a proper Iron test, and from what I read there are no real good Iron kits out there except a Full ICP test.
If there was a good way to test Iron (at Low Levels), then Salifert would have a kit (but they don't). There is a Red Sea kit, but I am skeptical about it's purpose.

I think the reason for Algae growth reduction is that Algae Scrubber has done it's work and has self regulated.
Another reason is I do lots of skimming.

That i want to say, after that algae bloom generated by KNo3 , Po4 addition, i run the algae reactor 16 hours first day and 14 hour second day after. In 2 days almost all gone. Now it's clean, looks like this and clean the glass four days before.
IMG_7090.JPG

I skimm alot also, i use an external Deltec 2060 (ratted for 1200liter tank) with an upgraded pump (from 1200 to 1700 air liter /hour)
After ozone addition i clear notice more dirt in the cup

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your kind words and please let me dream for a tech room like yours. Thanks for your advice, i have RO water for 30 % water change and 40 kg of Salt.

My algae reactor its not that old , one and half mounth, and it's ok untill now. It's strange for me also to see algae growth with No3,Po4 0.I can't tell you the reason, maibe the light. I notice after first harvest that the new algae witch growth in reactor was not so soft like the one i add and also the hair ( sorry i don't find other word but i hope you understand me) was more tick.

Last week i start to dose KNo3 (with Randy Holmes recipe ) and Aqua Forest Po4 boost (according instruction to obtain 0,02 Po4 level). I test my DT water after addition and i didn't see any trace of No3 or Po4, still 0. But after two days i notice a high algae bloom, i believe diatoms. The sand was brown, some on the rocks also. I stop all No3 Po4 addition and in other two days half was gone, now almost all gone. I decide to don't take any action a soon as everything looks normal.
I don't understand what happen.
Your tank and reactor are BOTH maturing. If you see no problems don't chase numbers of water parameters. (if reasonable, and most important in my experience are Alk, Calc, and Mag). PH is also something to watch (not too low).

Nothing is worse than instability/overdosing and adding stuff, constant adjusting, and changing things is exactly that.

One thing I observed is when Algae is Growing (Fast like with Green Hair, thin stringy algae) your Phosphate reading on test kits will show 0.00 since Algae is consuming it from water (common in young tanks) There may be Phosphate leaching from your rocks but it get's consumed quickly by algae. (or your young rocks are absorbing the N&P)….. Your Algae reactor is doing a great job extracting any Phosphates you cannot measure with a test kit at this time.

I'm not an expert but I believe it's too early to start dosing any Phosphates or Nitrates. Feeding fish will bring BOTH to your system Naturally more than you will want (sooner than later).
Adding more fish is also a good thing for natural food/nutrients for your corals. (Fish poo is best). Natural N&P too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank and reactor are BOTH maturing. If you see no problems don't chase numbers of water parameters. (if reasonable, and most important in my experience are Alk, Calc, and Mag). PH is also something to watch (not too low).

Nothing is worse than instability/overdosing and adding stuff, constant adjusting, and changing things is exactly that.

One thing I observed is when Algae is Growing (Fast like with Green Hair, thin stringy algae) your Phosphate reading on test kits will show 0.00 since Algae is consuming it from water (common in young tanks) There may be Phosphate leaching from your rocks but it get's consumed quickly by algae. (or your young rocks are absorbing the N&P)….. Your Algae reactor is doing a great job extracting any Phosphates you cannot measure with a test kit at this time.

I'm not an expert but I believe it's too early to start dosing any Phosphates or Nitrates. Feeding fish will bring BOTH to your system Naturally more than you will want (sooner than later).
Adding more fish is also a good thing for natural food/nutrients for your corals. (Fish poo is best). Natural N&P too.

I asume also that i have done a mistake to start dosing No3/Po4....was over my skills level maibe. I stoped after two days
I'm concentrated on Alk,Ca,Mg. Only some alk fluctuation but i'm better and better...
I have maybe to many fish in the tank now. They are small and that make things work now. I want to learn more and to upgrade close to 200g next year.
I believe also that i have some No3/Po4 in the water even my test show 0 (For Po4 i use Hanna LR) otherwise i don't see how chaeto will grow in the reaktor

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asume also that i have done a mistake to start dosing No3/Po4....was over my skills level maibe. I stoped after two days
I'm concentrated on Alk,Ca,Mg. Only some alk fluctuation but i'm better and better...
I have maybe to many fish in the tank now. They are small and that make things work now. I want to learn more and to upgrade close to 200g next year.
I believe also that i have some No3/Po4 in the water even my test show 0 (For Po4 i use Hanna LR) otherwise i don't see how chaeto will grow in the reaktor
As long as you keep parameters in check with dosing, it will do no harm. It just may not be necessary imo.

A test of zero in your water only means that nutrients are being consumed from the water faster than they are introduced.

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i hope will survive...they say that i must have sponge and it's expert level also....i don't match:):)

You might have some sponges on the rocks where the wee biscuit can go? But, odds are it’ll eventually die. I’d do a search or start a new thread and ask around for any tips on success with keeping “vermillion biscuit stars” or just “biscuit starfish” alive & fed.

...or try to sell it for $100. lol

OP
OP
dimidragos

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, looks like first poblem start. One of my favourite coral show some damage. Yesterday i notice a small problem, today it's a bit bigger
IMG_2568.JPG
IMG_7524.JPG
IMG_8583.JPG
IMG_8827.JPG

On the left side the damage it's visible. It's strange because i see good growth on this coral last days also.
What can be??
My water parameter are normal, light aroud 10 hours. Ph it's a bit low last days after the media in the Co2 scrubber get exhausted...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, looks like first poblem start. One of my favourite coral show some damage. Yesterday i notice a small problem, today it's a bit bigger
IMG_2568.JPG
IMG_7524.JPG
IMG_8583.JPG
IMG_8827.JPG

On the left side the damage it's visible. It's strange because i see good growth on this coral last days also.
What can be??
My water parameter are normal, light aroud 10 hours. Ph it's a bit low last days after the media in the Co2 scrubber get exhausted...
Oh man. :(

That isn't what they call brown jelly disease, is it?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back