NOT a bristle worm… but what IS it?!?

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this while feeding my invert heavy tank. It is most definitely NOT a bristle worm… I have several of those in my tank and know them fairly well. This guy has a face that reminds me of a coolie loach… i think it’s been in my tank for at least 8 months. It seems to be more of a rock dweller than a klinger. I have two fire fish that have been sleeping in that same rock for the same duration of time, they have never been bothered. Nether has the antipsta filefish who favors hanging out on that side of the tank. I have lost a few rainsford gobies, which I thought were hunted by the saron shrimp in the tank…. Now I am curious.

3705B0C8-A990-47A6-804D-A73D3ADB4348.jpeg
4C2A5032-C145-421C-A973-F24C4552D519.jpeg

OP
OP
Lady of Babylon

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a Vermetid snail.
I have lots of those in my tank too. They haven’t been bothering anything, in fact I have been getting some of my corals growing back after my jellyfish invasion. But that is not what that worm is that I am asking about.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
… I think you might be correct. Which means that that worm survived a dip and two toxic tank cycles… I am going to try a bristle worm trap and get a hawkfish in that case.
Could be a bobbit worm? Might be hard to trap they are smart I would take the rock out that it is living in and remove it from the rock

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OMG- It has to go !!!
Its a Eunice and I believe the dreaded Bobbit worm
medusa similar but the body confirms bobbit

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Simple soda bottle ytap for bobbit - Bait with a piece of shrimp within.

trap.jpg

OP
OP
Lady of Babylon

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a bobbit worm? Might be hard to trap they are smart I would take the rock out that it is living in and remove it from the rock
That rock has sponges and polyps on it that are thriving, so I can’t exactly remove the entire rock to dry it out or to dip it again. If I try to pull it out it might segment, as I understand they do that for asexual reproduction. Which means it might be like a had never tried. I’m going to try a bristle worm trap first and get a long nosed hawkfish. My actual bristle worm population would be enough to sustain the hawkfish alone.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rock has sponges and polyps on it that are thriving, so I can’t exactly remove the entire rock to dry it out or to dip it again. If I try to pull it out it might segment, as I understand they do that for asexual reproduction. Which means it might be like a had never tried. I’m going to try a bristle worm trap first and get a long nosed hawkfish. My actual bristle worm population would be enough to sustain the hawkfish alone.
Plus, that fish is really fabulous. My favorite.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back