Not all Cycling Bacteria are created equal. Who's who, and what do they need?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we are at it, I'd try to split them across three designs:
1. Churning
2. No churning
3. Churning, no oxygen
4. No churning, no oxygen (?)

(4) would be preferable, but I suppose not absolutely necessary to do. Not sure how you'd do anoxic conditions though.
Ah, so you'd like to see what kind of neglect / abuse it takes to cause a Nitrifier community to lose its ability?

The no-oxygen conditions could be achieved during the fish flake part of the experiment.
I think we have papers on subjecting nitrifying biofilms to these conditions, or are you hunting a particular hunch?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, so you'd like to see what kind of neglect / abuse it takes to cause a Nitrifier community to lose its ability?

The no-oxygen conditions could be achieved during the fish flake part of the experiment.
I think we have papers on subjecting nitrifying biofilms to these conditions, or are you hunting a particular hunch?
Yes lol, probably if left for a few weeks or so regardless of conditions they’ll bounce back. Might take some time but would bounce back yeah whether starved of just ammonia or both ammonia + oxygen.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Group 1 samples are here in post 44)
Here's Group 2 - the next 10 samples:

1 - "Sterile": heat killed by boiling - not quite sterile, but close enough for our purposes.
2 - tankwater: inoculated with a drop of water from my tank.
(these are negative controls like in the first round. They should do nothing over any reasonable time frame of interest.)

3 & 4 Dr. Tim's One and Only: This is the positive control for group 2. One of the most frequently used nitrifiers.

5 & 6 - MicroBacter Start XLM : "creates a nitrifying biological filter in marine & brackish aquaria of all types and is particularly useful for new startups, resulting in cycling in about 7 days in most cases, if directions are followed, and no competeing bacteria or nothing toxic is added."

7 & 8 - API Quick Start: "nitrifying bacteria allows for the instant addition of fish, as it immediately starts the natural aquarium cycle with beneficial bacteria, which converts toxic ammonia into nitrite, then into harmless nitrate. API QUICK START nitrifying bacteria may be used in both fresh and saltwater aquariums."

9 & 10 - Caribsea Arag-Alive live sand:
"...contains millions of live bacteria to cycle super fast and create a natural biological balance. ... independent labs prove Arag-Alive!™ cycles days faster than other brands of live sand"

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's Group 2 data. It's kind of incomplete but we'll see why.

This experiment has managed to keep things interesting. I expected this first round - ammonia only - to be mostly on or off - does or doesn't, but different patterns keep showing up.

Group 2 Total Ammonia and Nitrite
Group2D25Amm_NO2.png

One and Only, MicroBacter Start XLM, and Caribsea Arag-Alive all responded to ammonia-only during the measurement time frame, but not in similar ways. The Arag-alive live sand was the only one that cleared ammonia and cleared Nitrite shortly after. MicroBacter Start XLM cleared ammonia at about the same rate as the live sand, but it processed seemingly no nitrite. The NO2 stayed pegged near max theoretical - give or take measurement noise.
Dr. Tim's One and Only did definitely respond, but just barely. Poor result for what was supposed to be the trusted positive control. Actually, I'm going to argue against this "poor result" interpretation in just a minute.
The negative controls of "sterilized" and Tank water did precisely nothing to ammonia over the 25 days, and API Quick Start was indistinguishable from these do-nothings.

Group 2 Final Nitrate and pH
Group2D25NO3_pH.png

Caribsea Arag-Alive was the only one that cleared ammonia and nitrite in the 25 days, so was the only one that I measured final NO3. The final value was in agreement with classic nitrification - the amount of NO3 produced is within error of what would be expected from total conversion of all ammonia to NO3.

The pH shows the same 3 products as being active as the ammonia & NO2 data: Caribsea sand, MB Start, and at the very end - One and Only shows some pH move relative to the non-responders. (The drift down of the pH of all samples is due to the CO2 environment of the indoor space. Over time, with opening and sampling the indoor CO2 lowers all sample pH.)

Commentary
Little needs to be said about CaribSea Arag-Alive and API Quick Start. Quick Start joins the non-responder product Seachem Stability from the first group as products that do not seem to activate under the restrictive conditions of just ammonia and moving water in the dark. Caribsea Arag-Alive joins Group 1 products Nature's Ocean live sand and Biospira as products that work exactly as traditional nitrifiers are expected to.

MicroBacter Start XLM is interesting in how a fairly robust ammonia oxidation to nitrite is coupled with no apparent oxidation of NO2->NO3. Looking closely at the Nitrite chart above, NO2 is produced around day 8-9 but by day 26 there is still no clear decrease of NO2 below the theoretical maximum. I've seen many discussions of this possibility, but this is the first demonstration I've seen firsthand of a sample that could process ammonia well, but was seemingly incapable of processing NO2.

Let's talk about One and Only. If we were looking for evidence that a product had the right bacteria to process ammonia, but was too nutrient deprived by the conditions to expand in population, we'd expect that it should start processing ammonia, but be unable to accelerate (exponential growth), and instead continue processing ammonia at a slow steady tiny trickle for an extended time..... and this is very much what One and Only data looks like.

Here's One and Only showing ammonia (solid lines) and nitrite (dashed lines) on the same chart (different y-axis scales).
O&O_D25.png

If you track the NO2 (dashed) lines backwards from day 25 the NO2 production starts around day 15, but even after 10 days (15 to 25) of verifiable ammonia oxidation, the ammonia level has only decreased from 2.4 to 2.2 ppm. This suggests a small, active population of nitrifiers that has great difficulty reproducing in these conditions.

I'll plan to give the bacteria that were unable to clear ammonia another crack with just some PO4 added, and see how many of the non-responders rapidly respond. I don't expect the totally dead to snap to life, but the struggling might struggle much less.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what you found with stability is so helpful to our cycle threads as well/avoid it
IMHO I do not think the study suggests that stability be avoided. It was not expected that stability would do anything with only ammonia as 'food'. Once other items are added with ammonia - it will be interesting to see what Stability does or doesn't do.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes lol, probably if left for a few weeks or so regardless of conditions they’ll bounce back. Might take some time but would bounce back yeah whether starved of just ammonia or both ammonia + oxygen.
Actually - in low O2 - or low Ammonia conditions, Nitrifiers go dormant - and once O2/ammonia is restored, the bacteria rapidly recover. If you look at my experiments - done near the start of this forum - After a month of 0 ammonia, upon re-addition of 2 ppm, it was rapidly removed (suggesting that the old bacteria 'reactivated'). I did not use an anoxic condition specifically - but low flow is known to slow the growth of nitrifiers. If left for too long - or there are anaerobic bacteria present - my guess is that nitrifiers may be killed in a pure anoxic condition (picture a canister filter that was shut off for a month - and the smell when you open it).

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my guess is that nitrifiers may be killed in a pure anoxic condition (picture a canister filter that was shut off for a month - and the smell when you open it).
I've often considered what happens when power shuts off to something such as a canister filter. My assumption being that autotrophs consume all DO and produce nitrates along with nitrites that may not have completed due to absence of oxygen. Heterotrophs then take over converting nitrates to nitrogen since there should be carbon present along with sulfur. That end result creating the smell which all can be gassed off once restarted by ensuring the effluent directed at the tank surface. The sulfur angle not something I've focused on but aware that dentritators seem to prefer it over nitrates. I could be completely wrong but if bacteria can lie dormant in a bottle then I see no reason why they can't inside a canister. Speaking of both autotrophs and heterotrophs. Bit sure why lack DO would otherwise affect autotrophs (specifically bacteria). Having no lungs and merely requiring DO for a chemical process is how I understand we get bacteria in a bottle and what was quoted directly by Dr Tim.

Just a guy with a box of water and not a scientist or chemist therefore please excuse my ignorance.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've often considered what happens when power shuts off to something such as a canister filter. My assumption being that autotrophs consume all DO and produce nitrates along with nitrites that may not have completed due to absence of oxygen. Heterotrophs then take over converting nitrates to nitrogen since there should be carbon present along with sulfur. That end result creating the smell which all can be gassed off once restarted by ensuring the effluent directed at the tank surface. The sulfur angle not something I've focused on but aware that dentritators seem to prefer it over nitrates. I could be completely wrong but if bacteria can lie dormant in a bottle then I see no reason why they can't inside a canister. Speaking of both autotrophs and heterotrophs. Bit sure why lack DO would otherwise affect autotrophs (specifically bacteria). Having no lungs and merely requiring DO for a chemical process is how I understand we get bacteria in a bottle and what was quoted directly by Dr Tim.

Just a guy with a box of water and not a scientist or chemist therefore please excuse my ignorance.
The difference in my mind would be that in a canister filter thats shut off and left - let's say for a month is the amount of organic matter that is present as compared to Dr. Tim's. And you're correct I think - that all of the O2 would be used up. There are multiple potential degradation pathways. It would surprise me if obligate ammonia autotrophs would survive in that chemical soup - but I guess it's possible for them to be dormant.

I just read an interesting article (and I wonder what @taricha and @Dan_P would think) - that said that though nitrifiers require oxygen - that nitrification (as compared to bacterial multiplication) is better in a 1% O2 (above the water) as compared to 21 % O2 (normal air)

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's Group 2 data. It's kind of incomplete but we'll see why.

This experiment has managed to keep things interesting. I expected this first round - ammonia only - to be mostly on or off - does or doesn't, but different patterns keep showing up.

Group 2 Total Ammonia and Nitrite
Group2D25Amm_NO2.png

One and Only, MicroBacter Start XLM, and Caribsea Arag-Alive all responded to ammonia-only during the measurement time frame, but not in similar ways. The Arag-alive live sand was the only one that cleared ammonia and cleared Nitrite shortly after. MicroBacter Start XLM cleared ammonia at about the same rate as the live sand, but it processed seemingly no nitrite. The NO2 stayed pegged near max theoretical - give or take measurement noise.
Dr. Tim's One and Only did definitely respond, but just barely. Poor result for what was supposed to be the trusted positive control. Actually, I'm going to argue against this "poor result" interpretation in just a minute.
The negative controls of "sterilized" and Tank water did precisely nothing to ammonia over the 25 days, and API Quick Start was indistinguishable from these do-nothings.

Group 2 Final Nitrate and pH
Group2D25NO3_pH.png

Caribsea Arag-Alive was the only one that cleared ammonia and nitrite in the 25 days, so was the only one that I measured final NO3. The final value was in agreement with classic nitrification - the amount of NO3 produced is within error of what would be expected from total conversion of all ammonia to NO3.

The pH shows the same 3 products as being active as the ammonia & NO2 data: Caribsea sand, MB Start, and at the very end - One and Only shows some pH move relative to the non-responders. (The drift down of the pH of all samples is due to the CO2 environment of the indoor space. Over time, with opening and sampling the indoor CO2 lowers all sample pH.)

Commentary
Little needs to be said about CaribSea Arag-Alive and API Quick Start. Quick Start joins the non-responder product Seachem Stability from the first group as products that do not seem to activate under the restrictive conditions of just ammonia and moving water in the dark. Caribsea Arag-Alive joins Group 1 products Nature's Ocean live sand and Biospira as products that work exactly as traditional nitrifiers are expected to.

MicroBacter Start XLM is interesting in how a fairly robust ammonia oxidation to nitrite is coupled with no apparent oxidation of NO2->NO3. Looking closely at the Nitrite chart above, NO2 is produced around day 8-9 but by day 26 there is still no clear decrease of NO2 below the theoretical maximum. I've seen many discussions of this possibility, but this is the first demonstration I've seen firsthand of a sample that could process ammonia well, but was seemingly incapable of processing NO2.

Let's talk about One and Only. If we were looking for evidence that a product had the right bacteria to process ammonia, but was too nutrient deprived by the conditions to expand in population, we'd expect that it should start processing ammonia, but be unable to accelerate (exponential growth), and instead continue processing ammonia at a slow steady tiny trickle for an extended time..... and this is very much what One and Only data looks like.

Here's One and Only showing ammonia (solid lines) and nitrite (dashed lines) on the same chart (different y-axis scales).
O&O_D25.png

If you track the NO2 (dashed) lines backwards from day 25 the NO2 production starts around day 15, but even after 10 days (15 to 25) of verifiable ammonia oxidation, the ammonia level has only decreased from 2.4 to 2.2 ppm. This suggests a small, active population of nitrifiers that has great difficulty reproducing in these conditions.

I'll plan to give the bacteria that were unable to clear ammonia another crack with just some PO4 added, and see how many of the non-responders rapidly respond. I don't expect the totally dead to snap to life, but the struggling might struggle much less.

Very interesting, thank you so much!

To be honest, I am not surprised at all about Dr. Tim's One and Only. Among about 200 or so reports of Dr. Tim's usage that I have seen across all manners of forums over the past 2.5 years or so, after discounting any that may have confounding factors (usage of plants, algae, dosing other bottled bac products, using established biomedia, etc.), only one report swore that Dr. Tim's worked very well. But in all other cases, Dr. Tim's had seem to do nothing. If it took that long for Dr. Tim's to decrease just that small amount of ammonia, then yeah, it can certainly be construed as being entirely ineffective, even if eventually it'd work.

I think if you want something tried and tested to use as a positive control, then FritzZyme TurboStart 900 would be the one.

I'd be curious what happens if you leave Dr. Tim's One and Only for longer though. After all, the relatively linear decrease in ammonia could rather just represent the start of a growth curve, which may seem linear but is not. Perhaps after another month or so, we'll see that exponential growth we expect.

Very interesting about API QuickStart. Although the product says it can be used in both marine and freshwater systems, and seems to not work (well at all) in marine systems, I'd still love to see how it'd fair in a freshwater system. Maybe you can do a whole other series of tests after this for freshwater systems, lol. I know this is R2R, but hey, science is science.

Actually - in low O2 - or low Ammonia conditions, Nitrifiers go dormant - and once O2/ammonia is restored, the bacteria rapidly recover. If you look at my experiments - done near the start of this forum - After a month of 0 ammonia, upon re-addition of 2 ppm, it was rapidly removed (suggesting that the old bacteria 'reactivated'). I did not use an anoxic condition specifically - but low flow is known to slow the growth of nitrifiers. If left for too long - or there are anaerobic bacteria present - my guess is that nitrifiers may be killed in a pure anoxic condition (picture a canister filter that was shut off for a month - and the smell when you open it).
I was mainly going off of known research, such as this: https://academic.oup.com/femsec/article/58/1/1/468326.

I highly doubt a fully anoxic condition would kill off nitrifiers - there's not really any reason to. So far as scientists have studied, ammonia-oxidizers are strictly so, i.e. in experiments where there is no ammonia, it would not be as if these bacteria could utilize a different electron donor for their electron transport chain anyways, which presumably is why responses by nitrifiers to ammonia and oxygen starvation is similar.

In cases where opening something like a canister filter after a month has a smell, I highly doubt it is because of (significant) death of nitrifiers, but probably other microorganisms that would undoubtedly colonize it.

I have had similar experiences opening a filter (not a canister, but still), get the smell, wash everything thoroughly, and then put it back on the tank and nitrification still occurred pretty fine.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting, thank you so much!

To be honest, I am not surprised at all about Dr. Tim's One and Only. Among about 200 or so reports of Dr. Tim's usage that I have seen across all manners of forums over the past 2.5 years or so, after discounting any that may have confounding factors (usage of plants, algae, dosing other bottled bac products, using established biomedia, etc.), only one report swore that Dr. Tim's worked very well. But in all other cases, Dr. Tim's had seem to do nothing. If it took that long for Dr. Tim's to decrease just that small amount of ammonia, then yeah, it can certainly be construed as being entirely ineffective, even if eventually it'd work.

I think if you want something tried and tested to use as a positive control, then FritzZyme TurboStart 900 would be the one.

I'd be curious what happens if you leave Dr. Tim's One and Only for longer though. After all, the relatively linear decrease in ammonia could rather just represent the start of a growth curve, which may seem linear but is not. Perhaps after another month or so, we'll see that exponential growth we expect.

Very interesting about API QuickStart. Although the product says it can be used in both marine and freshwater systems, and seems to not work (well at all) in marine systems, I'd still love to see how it'd fair in a freshwater system. Maybe you can do a whole other series of tests after this for freshwater systems, lol. I know this is R2R, but hey, science is science.

I was mainly going off of known research, such as this: https://academic.oup.com/femsec/article/58/1/1/468326.

I highly doubt a fully anoxic condition would kill off nitrifiers - there's not really any reason to. So far as scientists have studied, ammonia-oxidizers are strictly so, i.e. in experiments where there is no ammonia, it would not be as if these bacteria could utilize a different electron donor for their electron transport chain anyways, which presumably is why responses by nitrifiers to ammonia and oxygen starvation is similar.

In cases where opening something like a canister filter after a month has a smell, I highly doubt it is because of (significant) death of nitrifiers, but probably other microorganisms that would undoubtedly colonize it.

I have had similar experiences opening a filter (not a canister, but still), get the smell, wash everything thoroughly, and then put it back on the tank and nitrification still occurred pretty fine.
I don't think Dr. Tim's is the 'gold standard' - based on the last study by @Dr. Reef. The smell after opening a canister filter after a month is methane and sulfur compounds. It's not due to death of nitrifiers - it's due to anaerobic decomposition of the junk in the filter.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I think there are 2 conditions. 1. Obligate autotrophs have no O2 - IMHO - they might go dormant. 2. Obligate autotrophs have no ammonia - they might go dormant. 3. Obligate autotrophs have no O2 AND no ammonia. I don't know whether they would survive. Hope this helps

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree - there is no rationale to use Dr. Tims as the positive control - based on the prior research

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think there are 2 conditions. 1. Obligate autotrophs have no O2 - IMHO - they might go dormant. 2. Obligate autotrophs have no ammonia - they might go dormant. 3. Obligate autotrophs have no O2 AND no ammonia. I don't know whether they would survive. Hope this helps
I do not see a reason why they would not survive.

Because the process effectively involves a redox reaction with ammonia and oxygen (with electron transferred through the electron transport chain), once ammonia or oxygen is unavailable, even if the other compound is available, respiration would not occur either way. So I would not envision the lack of both compounds to result in anything different from the lack of one.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not see a reason why they would not survive.

Because the process effectively involves a redox reaction with ammonia and oxygen (with electron transferred through the electron transport chain), once ammonia or oxygen is unavailable, even if the other compound is available, respiration would not occur either way. So I would not envision the lack of both compounds to result in anything different from the lack of one.
OK. all good. the problem here IMHO is that no one really knows what bacteria are involved - for example - the Archeae etc. The new news - on cycling is not as one person says based on quarantine procedures - instead its based on which bacteria neutralize ammonia

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. all good. the problem here IMHO is that no one really knows what bacteria are involved - for example - the Archeae etc. The new news - on cycling is not as one person says based on quarantine procedures - instead its based on which bacteria neutralize ammonia
That is correct, in that no one really knows what is involved - or at least long term in a person's aquarium, what ultimately engages in nitrification. And while it does seem like some type of nitrifiers can only utilize ammonia, others have been proposed to be able to also perform ammonification and derive ammonia from organic compounds like urea, further complicating matters.

So I do agree that there's still a lot to study re: nitrification. Very cool to study.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The discussion about killing off nitrifiers by neglecting them is an interesting one. Simply leaving them alone with no flow and no food would be worth repeating not because we don't know if they'll make it (I feel pretty good that if you pull all your livestock and simply unplug your tank, there would still be Nitrifiers active in it one month later.) but more worthwhile from the perspective of demonstrating that nothing all that magical has to happen for a bottled product to keep its potency. You just let the right bacteria sit and wait patiently as described by Dr. Tim.
The case of adding oxygen deprivation to no flow and no food probably doesn't kill off the nitrifiers that much more quickly, but adding the rancid element of a high biomass system that suddenly goes stagnant - shut off canister filter - I don't have any idea.

That much anaerobic decaying organic material really increases the chemical possibilities. What is the nitrifier tolerance to hydrogen sulfide? Etc.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The discussion about killing off nitrifiers by neglecting them is an interesting one. Simply leaving them alone with no flow and no food would be worth repeating not because we don't know if they'll make it (I feel pretty good that if you pull all your livestock and simply unplug your tank, there would still be Nitrifiers active in it one month later.) but more worthwhile from the perspective of demonstrating that nothing all that magical has to happen for a bottled product to keep its potency. You just let the right bacteria sit and wait patiently as described by Dr. Tim.
The case of adding oxygen deprivation to no flow and no food probably doesn't kill off the nitrifiers that much more quickly, but adding the rancid element of a high biomass system that suddenly goes stagnant - shut off canister filter - I don't have any idea.

That much anaerobic decaying organic material really increases the chemical possibilities. What is the nitrifier tolerance to hydrogen sulfide? Etc.
That's a great thought.

Quick search finds something like this: https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ion-on-Nitrogen-Regeneration-in-Sediments.pdf. Probably a good starting point. :D

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I intended to use biospira as the control for group 1, Dr Tim's for group 2, Fritz turbo start for group 3. Partially so I could test them all while acknowledging that we sort of already "know" what was going to happen. Also, frankly I was worried that some product groups could contain all non-responders, which would make it a little unclear if everything was OK with the setup.
Personally, my "go to" is biospira. Because it's fast, and it's easy to find. There's always a few bottles on a shelf somewhere in my town. Currently the only bottle of Fritz turbo start in town is sitting in my refrigerator.

I'd be curious what happens if you leave Dr. Tim's One and Only for longer though. After all, the relatively linear decrease in ammonia could rather just represent the start of a growth curve
Yes. I'll keep watching it. I can't actually be sure that this is not exponential growth, the amount of ammonia consumed and nitrite produced is so tiny after all. But if it is an exponential curve, then the doubling time of this growth is absurdly long. There has been detectable nitrite for 10 days, but still only dropped ammonia by a couple of tenths in that time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah. I intended to use biospira as the control for group 1, Dr Tim's for group 2, Fritz turbo start for group 3. Partially so I could test them all while acknowledging that we sort of already "know" what was going to happen. Also, frankly I was worried that some product groups could contain all non-responders, which would make it a little unclear if everything was OK with the setup.
Personally, my "go to" is biospira. Because it's fast, and it's easy to find. There's always a few bottles on a shelf somewhere in my town. Currently the only bottle of Fritz turbo start in town is sitting in my refrigerator.

Yes. I'll keep watching it. I can't actually be sure that this is not exponential growth, the amount of ammonia consumed and nitrite produced is so tiny after all. But if it is an exponential curve, then the doubling time of this growth is absurdly long. There has been detectable nitrite for 10 days, but still only dropped ammonia by a couple of tenths in that time.
Seems like the same positive control should be used for each test?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starts around day 15, but even after 10 days (15 to 25) of verifiable ammonia oxidation, the ammonia level has only decreased from 2.4 to 2.2 ppm. This suggests a small, active population of nitrifiers that has great difficulty reproducing in these conditions.
Haha, if you posted this, asking if your cycle stalled or never got started, my answer would be “a dud bottle of Dr. Tim’s is not am uncommon occurrence”.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back