Not common shrimp and goby pair

BangedUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all, any ideas for an uncommon shrimp and goby pair? Need something fun for my 32 biocube, want a pair but something different than the norm....successful pairings and rare?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White-capped gobies are pretty rare and usually come with a shrimp, they're also pretty expensive and have an iffy success rate though.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 2 bonded wheelers shrimp goby's paired with a red banded shrimp. A neat pair!! Fun to watch and successful in my QT through 4 weeks and prazi treatment.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fin and dracula are my favorites. Not super rare but not common either. So happens DD has them both now.

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Black sailfin goby and candy cane pistol shrimp. Not sure where these are sold, but would definitely be unique.
224963930b9fe19cfc270108e28008a1.jpg

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a white cap paired up with some purple/yellow/clear Indian Ocean pistol type shrimp that is on the small side of pistol shrimp. They are in a 20g and have an extensive sand tunnel network under a piece of rock. I only see them when they are trying to prevent sand ingress at one of the entrances. Super awesome when you see them but man you don't see them much.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a pair of hi fins with a randall's pistol shrimp. They were awesome to watch. They'd catch food and spit it into the burrow for the shrimp.
My wheeler's does no such thing lol. I also have a small ywg in my evo who also refuses to feed his shrimp

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 2 bonded wheelers shrimp goby's paired with a red banded shrimp. A neat pair!! Fun to watch and successful in my QT through 4 weeks and prazi treatment.

Jealous! We got a Wheelers to pair up with our lonely candy stripe pistol shrimp. Got the goby through QT and acclimation, then carefully lowered it down directly in front of the pistol shrimp's den. We've done this before with hi-fin gobies and they've always just popped right down the hole and made friends. Mr. Wheeler however just kinda sat on the sand and then scurried clear to the other end of the tank. Now he's found a nice spot to perch out from his rock and pose beautifully for the back side of the tank.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ctenogobiops tangaroai (Tangora goby) with his little candy pistol is great. More adventurous then my pinkbar ever was. I have had others, but my shrimp can be finicky and has killed one.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an old pic. Sadly, the hi fins only lasted about a year for me. But the three gobies used to share the burrow, and shrimp. I never did see all three out at once. Either 1 hi fin and the wheeler, or both hi fins.
IMG_3325.PNG

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but I want to get the same trio! Seen them on divers den but concerned about qt since I don’t have sand. Did you have sand in your qt tank?

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but I want to get the same trio! Seen them on divers den but concerned about qt since I don’t have sand. Did you have sand in your qt tank?

Mine did great in QT with no sand! They were fine. However . . . PLEASE make sure you have the 1/8" net or glass top on both. I had 1/4" screen on my main tank and their first day in the main tank, one of them I found on top of the screen dried out. I was absolutely so so sad!! I KNOW that this happened because the next morning, I watched the other one do it! Jumped right through the 1/4" hole!

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did great in QT with no sand! They were fine. However . . . PLEASE make sure you have the 1/8" net or glass top on both. I had 1/4" screen on my main tank and their first day in the main tank, one of them I found on top of the screen dried out. I was absolutely so so sad!! I KNOW that this happened because the next morning, I watched the other one do it! Jumped right through the 1/4" hole!
Oh wow! That is sad! I have a lid on the tank so they should be safe. I was just concerned about using a bare bottom qt because I know the shrimp likes to burrow in the sand. Did you qt the shrimp with the prazi treatment too? Sorry, just thought about that.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! That is sad! I have a lid on the tank so they should be safe. I was just concerned about using a bare bottom qt because I know the shrimp likes to burrow in the sand. Did you qt the shrimp with the prazi treatment too? Sorry, just thought about that.

I had to move the shrimp into my Coral and invert QT for any medication treatment. I usually run copper as well. He seemed to pair back up with them in the main tank just fine. He absolutely needed some good hiding places and I made sure to drop in a couple pieces of mysis every couple of days for him. He did fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back