not exactly DIY but DIY

AshwinRavi

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 23, 2017
Messages
374
Reaction score
519
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a 200 INT IM aquarium, the foam board on which the tank will rest is sightly broken in a few spots. Spoke to IM, they were more than friendly and helpful, the issue is, I won't be able to get a replacement till 2021, I have a baby on the way and wanted to get the transfer done from 75 to the 200 before that.

so, I am thinking about getting foam insulation spray like Loctite Tite Foam or Great Stuff and then sanding the excess off? Any thoughts on this or a better idea?
If I am to just replace the foam board entirely on my dime, what will I shop for this, home depot, or lowes?

IMG_4387.jpg


IMG_4390.jpg
 
i would not use spray foam as they will break down over time with the weight of the tank.

You could use the Styrofoam insulation from the big box stores.
 
Yup.

It's basically the same thing except the one that comes with your tank is obviously black. Unless you plan on going bare bottom, you'll never see it anyways. Just don't buy the thick pink stuff as it looks like crap.
 
Yoga mats work too. All you want is a thin buffer between the glass and wood, just in case there is some imperfections in the wood which would cause stress points in the glass.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new