OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used TB rock and garf in the past. You get a lot of "stuff" with those.

This time, I used dry everything, and seeded this with bottled bacteria (e.g. algaebarn substrate sauce and other strains). I also added copepods early. Almost no uglies.
Yeah i added 3x16oz bottles of copepods a week after the transfer. Was about to buy more but there's a hurricane so ill wait.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK To me calling something snake oil is implying that the product claims are false.

I think some of the stuff Eli is doing is very interesting and was surprised there was as much negativity in this thread. I have never met him or been to his lab just watch some youtube videos he has been a guest on.

I did purchase the reef ruble to cycle my dryrock tank
Hows your tank?

Calling it snake oil is like buying oil for your car. Just because mobile 1 says it can go 15k mille dont be mad if it blows up because of sludge. But may run just fine. Thats all i meant. Like did i add snake oil?

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's what they claim, it will help. Collecting your own would be illegal here (NC) and you'd introduce pollutants and pathogens.
Yeah I wouldn’t think ever to add stuff from my coast line. Cold water climate and the pathogens is what concerns me. We catch things all the time in nets and the kids are always like “lets put it in the tank dad”. :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer to your question is no. Owner has quite a bit of credibility in the scientific community and has been on Reef Bum etc. As to whether or not it would help your tank depends on the bacterial diversity in the first place. The likely hood of you being able to "see" its effects is practically nil similar to the numerous bacteria in a bottle you can buy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's what they claim, it will help. Collecting your own would be illegal here (NC) and you'd introduce pollutants and pathogens.
I'm not trying to be funny - I asked before - but - 'help what'? There is no evidence that adding bacteria xyzzy will improve bacterial diversity - if thats the goal. What exactly is it supposed to help?

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Tested by DNA sequencing". It's on the label. Ask for 1) their test results 2) the lab that tested it 3) and also test results from three prior batches. I predict crickets.
It says, “Tested by DNA sequencing so you know what’s in it”. So what’s in it? Do they share the test results?

they test every batch they ship and include the full print out with each shipment.

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to be funny - I asked before - but - 'help what'? There is no evidence that adding bacteria xyzzy will improve bacterial diversity - if thats the goal. What exactly is it supposed to help?
I'm not a marine biologist, so, maybe I should say it might help with the diversity the OP bought it for.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they test every batch they ship and include the full print out with each shipment.
Testing and DNA sequencing are comparing apples and rhinos. DNA sequencing determines the order of the four chemical building blocks - called "bases" - that make up the DNA molecule. How this applies to "testing" I don't know. I don't want to be "that guy" about this but claims like this don't make sense. This has nothing to do with the guy's ethics or honesty.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this guy has a sequencer or a lab. Setting up a genome testing facility for sea water? That's a very expensive proposition. Just take that comment off the label and all is fine. But What I think I see here is what's called a "dry lab". No equipment.

When you send in a sample this is what they advise;

”If you're curious what's happening with your sample while you wait, here is a brief explanation of what to expect.

The way this technology works requires that we process samples in batches. So when we receive your sample, we extract the DNA, and prepare it for DNA sequencing. This takes about a week of hands-on time in the lab.

Once we have enough samples to fill the batch, we send them to the DNA sequencing facility. This takes 1-2 weeks under normal conditions.

When sequencing is completed, they send us the raw data (~2 million DNA sequences). We run our programs to analyze the data, and within about 12 - 24 hours your report is ready. At that time, you'll get an email with a link to your results.

If you have questions at any point during the process feel free to contact us by email.

- AquaBiomics”

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing and DNA sequencing are comparing apples and rhinos. DNA sequencing determines the order of the four chemical building blocks - called "bases" - that make up the DNA molecule. How this applies to "testing" I don't know. I don't want to be "that guy" about this but claims like this don't make sense. This has nothing to do with the guy's ethics or honesty.

I mean.. they release a certain amount of rubble and or live sand a month. I’m on their e-mail distrio, and last month they didn’t release anything and advised their batch had uronema detected and they scrapped it. So it seems they are being honest and looking out.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean.. they release a certain amount of rubble and or live sand a month. I’m on their e-mail distrio, and last month they didn’t release anything and advised their batch had uronema detected and they scrapped it. So it seems they are being honest and looking out.
I think he's onto something with what he's doing. It's probably semantics. Wish he would chime in and clear this up. I think he is probably talking about something called eDNA which is an emerging technology for the assessment of biodiversity in our world. And he is mapping his ocean samples to that. Don't know.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did their own testing. They are a testing lab that does DNA testing. This is just a product they have decided to sell. They also do water analysis but they farm that out to another lab.

Just FYI, they are in the process of acquiring their own test equipment as prices have drop significantly from the $100,000.00.

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some reef rubble a month or so ago. The hope was to introduce beneficial bacteria without "pests." Actually came with some free zoanthids. While I have some small amount of algae, my young tank doesn't seem to be imbalanced. I am not disappointed.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a container of Aquabiomics reef rubble and it looks like rocks and seashells i can get at the beach (i live 20min from the the beach). I was gonna order from TB Saltwater But there shipping is out if this world. I guess $50 for snake oil isn’t that bad. :winking-face-with-tongue:

After I dumped it out it definitely cloudy the tank up a but.

Whats y’alls opinion on this. Seems like snake oil but is it.

Good stuff! There's more and more research showing how critical the right microbes are to a successful reef ecosystem. What you bought wasn't shells but healthy microbes that have been checked to insure there's no coral or fish pathogens. Can you get stuff from the coast? Sure, PaulB has been touting the grunge he collects for decades.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back