Not "new" but coming back after ~6 years... Royal Gramma question

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how concerned I should be. We already lost one shrimp in this tank mysteriously. We think we observed RG aggression toward him (mouth open) but thought it might be requesting cleaning services. These are on the opposite side of the tank as the RG claims. The shrimp are new tank additions. If these shrimp end up dead, this RG will be leaving the tank. I have no idea how I'll catch him but I'm over it if he's going to act this way

20200606_145202.jpg

God how woukd you catch them lol...that may require its own thread lol

OP
OP
D

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 nets, an acclimation box, and two hands. LFS said $20 if he lives a week.

20200606_153407.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, my secret was to establish his escape pattern. I then set my big net there and gave it a few minutes. Then chased him out with my hand and he ran right into the net. Nice and deep. Had 10 seconds to carefully lift the net out. He literally lifted his mouth out of the water positioned straight up and looked at me like he would shank me if he could.

1 psycho down

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you dodged a bullet here, could be literally as the guy might have tried to shoot you in your sleep

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really attractive fish. Ironic the LFS wants a one week guarantee when 3 of 5 of their Wrasse were dead in the tanks

20200606_162707.jpg 20200606_162633.jpg

That was a really good method and smart! Good job! Sucks as like you've mentioned they are really beautiful fish.

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone anticipate aggression issues with the Melanurus Wrasse? That's probably my favorite fish. I've never kept one. I'm pretty sure I'd be willing to fillet the RG if it went after the Melanurus.

I had a melenarus and royal gramma together for years without a problem. However, one day the gramma was missing an eye. I suspected the culprit was the melanarus or hawk fish. In any case, the gramma is the type of fish that you’ll want to add last. An acclimation box and fish trap are great investments in case it doesn’t go well.

OP
OP
D

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a melenarus and royal gramma together for years without a problem. However, one day the gramma was missing an eye. I suspected the culprit was the melanarus or hawk fish. In any case, the gramma is the type of fish that you’ll want to add last. An acclimation box and fish trap are great investments in case it doesn’t go well.
No one mentioned that anywhere. It's probably ok in the end. The kids (3 and 7) are surprisingly understanding though sad to lose a fish. It hung out in the back of the corner of the tank. I have too many "you should add that fish last" fish in mind lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back